SCBS Reverse Malfunction Warning Message

Hi guys, this picture seems to be getting clearer. Thanks for the information. I will await news from donnielund before storming the Mazda dealer over here again. I understand that the Iceland Mazda dealership is some kind of subdivision of the Denmark dealership. So, if they get it right in Denmark, then the same must apply here.

Hi iKing, due to sudden assignment at work, I didn't have time to bring it in. I hope that I get time to shuffle it in next week. I will update you as promised when serviced.

Hi iKing, due to sudden assignment at work, I didn't have time to bring it in. I hope that I get time to shuffle it in next week. I will update you as promised when serviced.
OK, great. I wait for your news with interest.

Hi
I found this thread googling for scbs malfunction and we seem to have the exact same issue. Car is three weeks old and tow bar fitted one week ago at Mazda dealer. Now the reverse scbs is inactivated permanently. I hope our dealer is up to date with the changes that should fix this issue.
Apart from this minor issue we're really happy with the car so far.

Hi
I found this thread googling for scbs malfunction and we seem to have the exact same issue. Car is three weeks old and tow bar fitted one week ago at Mazda dealer. Now the reverse scbs is inactivated permanently. I hope our dealer is up to date with the changes that should fix this issue.
Apart from this minor issue we're really happy with the car so far.

It is becoming obvious that this is a known problem with the EURO and AU/NZ Spec CX-5 with Mazda OE tow bar fitted. SCBS Reverse is a new functionality for the facelift model. However the facelift model has been available since February. I am surprised that Mazda has not put out a Technical Service Bulletin on this issue.

Unfortunately Mazda Sweden does not have a solution to this yet. Apparently they have a routine to inform all new customers about this problem before installation, but that was not done in our case. We have to wait and see...

Hi guys, sorry for my absence in this matter. I am taking the car to the dealer tomorrow for the repairs. I will do my best to get a full list of what is required to fix the issue. They most likely won't hand me the service bulletin :). They needed the car for 4 hours, so it seems rather time consuming.

Hi guys, sorry for my absence in this matter. I am taking the car to the dealer tomorrow for the repairs. I will do my best to get a full list of what is required to fix the issue. They most likely won't hand me the service bulletin :). They needed the car for 4 hours, so it seems rather time consuming.

Good to hear. Hopefully a solution. I am surprised though how long it is taking Mazda to offer a solution in Europe, considering the fact that the matter happears to have been solved in NZ some time ago.

Good to hear. Hopefully a solution. I am surprised though how long it is taking Mazda to offer a solution in Europe, considering the fact that the matter happears to have been solved in NZ some time ago.

iKing. I can report that I no longer get the "malfunction" error message after it was fixed by the dealer some 8 weeks ago. However, I can't say if the "SCBS Reverse" functionality is working correctly as I don't know how to test it. At least I don't get the annoying error message now.

iKing. I can report that I no longer get the "malfunction" error message after it was fixed by the dealer some 8 weeks ago. However, I can't say if the "SCBS Reverse" functionality is working correctly as I don't know how to test it. At least I don't get the annoying error message now.

Thanks limleong. You could try placing some empty carton boxes behind the car and back up to them and see if the car stops:) (NB: I have not tried this)

I have had mine to service now. They have replaced a panel inside the dashboard, as well as the speedometer (no idea why!?) instead of getting the malfunction, i now get a "scbs reverse have been deactivated" information, when I put my gear in rear mode. Before the city brakes did not work when driving forward in mine, but it does now, dealer tested it against a gate for me. Scbs does not work when driving backwards.
Not sure what to think of this fix, it does not malfunction, but on the other hand does not work when driving backwards either. But atleast driving forward works.

In other news, they updated my infotainment to v56. That fixes a nasty black screen I had a few times. It was just released in the EU, so remember to get that update.

I have had mine to service now. They have replaced a panel inside the dashboard, as well as the speedometer (no idea why!?) instead of getting the malfunction, i now get a "scbs reverse have been deactivated" information, when I put my gear in rear mode. Before the city brakes did not work when driving forward in mine, but it does now, dealer tested it against a gate for me. Scbs does not work when driving backwards.
Not sure what to think of this fix, it does not malfunction, but on the other hand does not work when driving backwards either. But atleast driving forward works.

In other news, they updated my infotainment to v56. That fixes a nasty black screen I had a few times. It was just released in the EU, so remember to get that update.

Hi donnielund.

Mmmmmm.

Sound like your dealer has simply de-activated the "SCBS Reverse" functionality. This is not a fix but more like cheating ! As I have mentioned before, the cynical side of me is saying may be my dealer has simply de-actived the "SCBS Reverse" functionality to give people the illusion that it has been fixed. It is hard for me to test the SCBS forward and reverse functionality where I live as it is hilly suburb.

I may never know if the dealer has simply de-activated the SCBS to get rid the error messages ...

I may never know if the dealer has simply de-activated the SCBS to get rid the error messages ...

Actually, you should be able to tell very easily. When you put it in reverse you should see the message "scbs reverse have been deactivated".

Actually, you should be able to tell very easily. When you put it in reverse you should see the message "scbs reverse have been deactivated".

Hi Mike. There is no error message nor "SCBS Reverse Deactivated " message. The issue for me whether it has been de-activated at a software level that does not give a "SCBS Reverse Deactivated" message and I am not really in the position to test the functionality.

May be it is all good and I am just being cynical. I hope there are still honest people in the car industry. Look at what happens at VW :-(

Thanks for the report. But, Wow, this is not reassuring. I think it is about time to get some answers from Mazda EU headoffice or Japan on this one. My local dealer seems pretty serious about this and still claims that there is no fix yet from Mazda.

Hi donnielund.

Mmmmmm.

Sound like your dealer has simply de-activated the "SCBS Reverse" functionality. This is not a fix but more like cheating ! As I have mentioned before, the cynical side of me is saying may be my dealer has simply de-actived the "SCBS Reverse" functionality to give people the illusion that it has been fixed. It is hard for me to test the SCBS forward and reverse functionality where I live as it is hilly suburb.

You could be right, but as mentioned, they replaced parts to fix "the" issue. Total kilometers was reset to zero due to the spedometer change. I have no idea how the fix is around the world, it seems that there is "under the hood" difference on these cars depending on region.

As I said, I am not happy with this. I will call Mazda DK on Monday and ask if they consider deactivating a security function you payed for as part of the car, a fix, and how Mazda plan to compensate users world wide.

Car industry is so shady!

You could be right, but as mentioned, they replaced parts to fix "the" issue. Total kilometers was reset to zero due to the spedometer change. I have no idea how the fix is around the world, it seems that there is "under the hood" difference on these cars depending on region.

As I said, I am not happy with this. I will call Mazda DK on Monday and ask if they consider deactivating a security function you payed for as part of the car, a fix, and how Mazda plan to compensate users world wide.

Car industry is so shady!

Again. Mmmmm ...

Separate topic but setting Odo meters to zero after replacing instrument panel is illegal in a lot of countries. In many countries, Odo meter is used to track road tax, insurance and not to mention resale value and it is illegal to temper with odo meter. May be DK does not have such a law but I am surprise as otherwise anyone can temper with odo meter and be a cheat.

Back to the "SCBS Reverse" problem, I would suggest complaining to the Madza DK head office. The problem is not fixed but has been hidden. This is not acceptable for a new car with features that you have paid for.

Again. Mmmmm ...

Separate topic but setting Odo meters to zero after replacing instrument panel is illegal in a lot of countries. In many countries, Odo meter is used to track road tax, insurance and not to mention resale value and it is illegal to temper with odo meter. May be DK does not have such a law but I am surprise as otherwise anyone can temper with odo meter and be a cheat.

Back to the "SCBS Reverse" problem, I would suggest complaining to the Madza DK head office. The problem is not fixed but has been hidden. This is not acceptable for a new car with features that you have paid for.

It also is in DK, but since everything is electronic, the real mileage is still in the service "book".

Back