Saw a 2017 CX-5 at the dealer today...

I know you usually don't buy a brand new car as a daily driver, but what you'll do right now if you're in the market getting a new CX-5? A 2017 CX-5 with a new skin, or a 2016.5 CX-5 for $4,000 ~ $5,000 off the list?

If I walked outside to see an oak tree laid across my CX5 and could walk away from it scott-free? I'd probably buy a lightly used Subaru 2.0XT, or GLK350 4Matic. Whichever I found first for under $30K with the lowest miles. Or maybe I'd go down to a used auto lot and pick up the cheapest Honda FWD vehicle I could find and pay cash for it and enjoy not having a car note. I don't think I would buy another CX-5, though. Just no reason to. It is not exceptional in any way, and there are plenty of other non-exceptional vehicles I would love to try out simply because they are different from one another in non-exceptional ways, lol!

I might grab an FJ Cruiser.
Or a WRX
Or...?

I dunno, but probably not another CX5 of any year, unless I found an AWD manual 2.0L, and then, man...it would be like a Prius for a guy who wouldn't drive a Prius! I might just have to do it! Fill it up once a month, rofl!

Last edited:
Shut the front door you have friends?:) I think you need a stint with a Nissan Rogue, a CR-V (hey Mongo) or a non-turbo Forester to see what boring REALLY feels like! Oh and tell your former roommate he just cracked me the f up today! Nissan SPEC-V- now that thing was baller! Haha I kid- kind of fun-ish pos to beat on but yeah dude you still can't compare a 2800# sporty econobox with a manual and roughly equivalent power to a CX-5 when it comes to driving entertainment. The CX-5 is a practical, affordable, good to drive CUV that won't make you feel like you sold your soul- for me as a daily driver that's really all I ask.

I've driven every kind of vehicle you can imagine, either at work, or personally. Everything from a ZR1, to a tuned F150 Lightning to a E150 wheelchair van. I am familiar with the spectrum, lol

The CX5 gets the job done, yes, and I don't dislike it. That's why I like it...because I have no reason to dislike it, lol

Excellent points. In the future we'll be shopping for a used gen2 CX-5...or maybe CX-9? Excellent bargains as used cars. The fact that I'm familiar with what to look for (known weaknesses, TSBs, easy DIY maintence, ect.) is a huge plus. That said there's some things I have to work against:

- Used pre-2013 Mazdas sell well in my region. My dealership for instance has 3-4 used CX-5's on their lot. Everything else is new 2016.5 and 2017 stock.

- CPO Mazdas retain their value well in my region. Gonna have to play hardball with dealers. A benefit though is that 7-year powertrain warranty.

My dealer had ZERO used CX-5's on the lot, still only offered KBB trade-in plus a few hundred bucks.

If I walked outside to see an oak tree laid across my CX5 and could walk away from it scott-free? I'd probably buy a lightly used Subaru 2.0XT, or GLK350 4Matic. Whichever I found first for under $30K with the lowest miles. Or maybe I'd go down to a used auto lot and pick up the cheapest Honda FWD vehicle I could find and pay cash for it and enjoy not having a car note. I don't think I would buy another CX-5, though. Just no reason to. It is not exceptional in any way, and there are plenty of other non-exceptional vehicles I would love to try out simply because they are different from one another in non-exceptional ways, lol!

I might grab an FJ Cruiser.
Or a WRX
Or...?

I dunno, but probably not another CX5 of any year, unless I found an AWD manual 2.0L, and then, man...it would be like a Prius for a guy who wouldn't drive a Prius! I might just have to do it! Fill it up once a month, rofl!

Hey I get that- variety is the spice of life..but for me..
Forester XT: Fails imo because of the CVT and just being generally un-sporty: shame because of what it could/should be.
GLK350: Funny I came close (real close) to plunking on the 250d but feared high running costs and inability to keep long term without myriad s*** breaking monthly after few years- nice rig though- little small..
FJ - drove and liked- I just drive way too many miles to tolerate.
WRX- cheap fun- but high insurance costs and I want my hatch back - nice 1 car solution for many

I prefer the 2 cheap-ish cars solution of an awd CX-5 (or similar-to get me A->B done in any weather in reasonable comfort/driving pleasure) and something fun- preferably stick and driftable. twins, golf r, rf on the short list.

Last edited:
You won't get anything back for a Mazda CUV. If you want something back, get a 4Runner or Tacoma, FJ or Grand Jeep Cherokee with the HEMI and QDII or something nice. Noone cares who owned it before you, how how many of them there were. I have a 2015 CX5 Touring 2.5AWD with 58K miles and was offered $13,800 or so for it the other day by the dealer. They go for about that at Auction. Glad I bought it used for $22K 30K miles and a year ago, because I'd have been devastated if I paid the sticker or near for it!

I got $12,500 for my 2014 with 100K miles which I was happy with and I purchased it new for around $28K (GT with tech). Also, I think someone needs to take a side by side picture of the '16 and '17. I haven't seen that yet. But there is no way it would take a "fanatic" to tell the difference.

Aren't ALL cars just "coffee makers" after all? They take you and some amount of your s*** from one place to another? As they say, God (or the Devil) is in the details.

My dealer had ZERO used CX-5's on the lot, still only offered KBB trade-in plus a few hundred bucks.

I see two generic themes from Unob:
My resales sucks.
CX-5 is just like any other CUV and is not distinct and I dont know why people say it feels fast.

For first - there are so many unknowns. Based on when car was made, it had 60K miles in 2.5 years (2 years?) so that is high mileage. Did a 2nd dealer quote you something? We dont know how serious the dealer was, we dont know if he was going to sell a car to Unob as well since many trade ins result in a 2nd purchase. No one on this forum said Mazda resale is better than Rav4 / CRV but it is well within 1000 bucks of these cars. A quick check on kbb will tell you that for a 2014/15 Rav4 your numbers are within a 700 dollar range. Your best bet would be to use it a little more and do a private party sale. I personally never do a Craigslist transaction for a car over 12000 dollars - its just not worth the hassle. More so in a place like DFW where everyone hates everyone and there is zero trust.

2nd point - and this is coming from someone who has owned only Toyota's and Scions - Mazda is a poor choice if on average you have 2+ passengers in your vehicle. a Rav4 or CRV will be a better package. But if you dont have a 3 car garage and 3 cars for various moods - it is pretty much the best driving CUV you can own under 40K considering maintenance etc. Yes the Ford is faster to 60, Yes the 2.0XT is faster but they have their own shortfalls - in case of Ford you can get a super deal for 2.0 Turbo used. Anything with a CVT cant rough it out in the city with sedans and coupes the way a CX-5 can. It is really a city CUV and at that it does a brilliant job.

If you ever drive a CRV / Rav4 for extended period - your opinion may change. Low range torque / sweet AT and the fact that you dont have to slow down to 25 mph during many corners is what makes this a good fun to drive car for many.
But if you are - I need 250+ hp / torque to call anything sporty types - and many are, stay far away from this brand.

For me, only shortcoming is the lack of power (and economy) at 70+ when you are hauling weight. Its just too tall and non aero dynamic for that. Otherwise its a great car - quick off the line, good economy at speeds i drive, good handling and good styling.

- it is pretty much the best driving CUV you can own under 40K considering maintenance etc.

That's why I bought another one. For the 100,000 miles I had my '14 I spent:
13 oil changes at roughly $650
3 cabin filters $60
3 air filters $60
1 set of plugs $100
front and rear wipers $60
1 set of tires at 56K miles Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia 19" $950

I do all my own maintenance. Nothing else had to be repaired/replaced and the brakes still had at least 50% left on them when I sold it. The only gripe I had was cabin noise at interstate speeds, and that has been greatly reduced for the '17. Oh, and I also get HUD, memory seat (for when the wife drives), rear ac vents, improved interior, and proven engine/drivetrain, all of which are important to me, as well as other things that aren't as important to me, for relatively close to the same price as my '14 GT with tech package.

Saw a 207 CX5 at the dealer today...

2016 CX-5: had to replace front brakes and rotors at less than 20k....Autobahn speed?

2016 CX-5: had to replace front brakes and rotors at less than 20k....Autobahn speed?

Did you replace with stock parts or OE aftermarket? Still on original pads/rotors at nearly 70k miles. Then again my wife doesn't drive Autobahn speed.

Did you replace with stock parts or OE aftermarket? Still on original pads/rotors at nearly 70k miles. Then again my wife doesn't drive Autobahn speed.

It WILL cruise at 120......OEM parts.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Interesting. Well, that's good. I'd never buy new in this segment, though. I view it as a waste of money when you can buy a CPO of Fleet car for much less.

To your point, it depends on how you look at it and how you keep your vehicle and your priority. Not saying your point is wrong or even buying new is also wrong...there are pros and cons and there is no right or wrong answer. New works for others and doesn't for the rest but CPO also works for others like you but may also not work for the rest.
At the end of the day however, either way you go (new or CPO) it is still not a good investment as it is a depreciating asset...

At the end of the day however, either way you go (new or CPO) it is still not a good investment as it is a depreciating asset...

I agree. However, I never look at a car as an investment. It's an expense. For the same reason I don't think of spending $100 on grocery an investment. I don't expect to get a financial return on either.

To your point, it depends on how you look at it and how you keep your vehicle and your priority. Not saying your point is wrong or even buying new is also wrong...there are pros and cons and there is no right or wrong answer. New works for others and doesn't for the rest but CPO also works for others like you but may also not work for the rest.
Exactly!

Which is why I love to LEASE this vehicle... When the tires need to be replaced, (been 30k miles last 2 times) I just bring it back to the Mazda dealer and trade in on the next model.

$0 down, and maintenance contract included, it is just a rental car to me. Knowing exactly what my car is going to both cost me and be worth in 36 months is PRICELESS to me!

This (minus the whole "depreciation" aspect... as a CPA, the way this term is used bugs the heck out of me). Cars are consumables, for about 95% of the ones on the road. The "investment" ones aren't often even SEEN on the road... they are in a garage or showroom somewhere... and even then, they aren't fast-moving commodities. Get a car you want that meets your needs (whatever they are). If you want higher resale, then bargain hunt or stick with those that tend to fetch more on the secondary market (for WHATEVER reason).

How many times is this going to keep bubbling up? It's very one-note.

Exactly!

Which is why I love to LEASE this vehicle... When the tires need to be replaced, (been 30k miles last 2 times) I just bring it back to the Mazda dealer and trade in on the next model.

$0 down, and maintenance contract included, it is just a rental car to me. Knowing exactly what my car is going to both cost me and be worth in 36 months is PRICELESS to me!

I was sooo close to leasing my current CX5. Just couldn't do it. As you say, you're like renting it. I like the feeling of owning my car. Plus the mileage limitation. Made me feel so restricted and limited in what i could do with my car. But everything else was so tempting.

Back