RX-8: I'm gonna do it (within a year)

:
'90 MX-5, '00 328i
OK, maybe I've had a few drinks tonight (so. :)) but I've pretty much decided my next car is going to be a used RX-8 and not a Mazdaspeed3. The Proteg is paid for.... next year I'm hoping to sell it for 8 grand and then take out an 8 grand used car loan and buy the finest 16K used Titanium RX-8 money can buy.

Reasons

a) My Miata isn't fast but I love it to death. I like handling more than gut-busting acceleration. (Although I plan to turbo the Miata in the near future. If I'm needing torque, that will satisfy the urge.)

b) I am not a FWD hater by any means, but there's nothing like good ol' RWD.

c) Near 50/50 weight distribution -- see above.

d) Don't commute very far, so I don't get my panties in a knot about gas mileage. (Not that the Speed3 is goiing to be much better.)

e) It's kinda ugly, but kinda really good-looking. Kinda like me, ha. :D At least it's more distinctive than the Speed3. And chicks would dig it more.

f) I haul three passengers in my car like once a month. RX-8 does the trick. I need to haul two passengers and their bags to and from the airport about 6 times a year. RX-8 still does the trick. Don't have kids, that would be at least 5 years off at this point... so who cares about that factor.

g) Drove one at Zoom Zoom Live. Loved it.

h) It's a Mazda. And it's the closest I can affordably get to owning a Carrera within ?? years.

i) I've often bitched the Mazda needs to make a lightweight RWD sedan. In a way, it's been staring me right in the face. The RX-8 is arguably more practical than my old '93 SE-R (a two-door sedan of course) and I got by fine with that in college when I actually hauled a lot of s***... it even solves the major b**** of getting people in the back seat.

I have a very similar reasoning (exept #e lol), and every 4 months or so I feel this "RX8 urge" :) But I live in Canada and I wan a car to drive 12 months/year, but you don't have this problem, so go 4 it!!

I don't know my Sunlight Silver Protege is sexy as hell!

OK, well, I think it looks good. With that huge 1.5 drop and AWR swaybar just barely visible! OK OK.... it just looks like a regular economy car to everyone else in the world...... :)

Mikey444 said:
Dont worry, once you have that RX-8, you will forget all about the protege.

i still remember my blue '00 ES Protege... darn thing got 30mpg, and it runs on regular!!!

but yeah, good luck finding a good used 8, people that have 'good' RX-8s don't ususally let it go so quickly AFAIK... right now, those 8s that flood (pardon the pun) the used car market are usually the problematic ones with HORRIBLE (like 9-13mpg) gas mileage.

not telling you not to get one, just be very wary of used 8's being advertised for low prices

Mazda-RX.jpg

I like this one!

ZoomZoomH said:
i still remember my blue '00 ES Protege... darn thing got 30mpg, and it runs on regular!!!

Oops, forgot he would definately remember his old protege when at the pump lol :D

As far as being a chick magnet goes, it's true.

My dad owns two: One black, one red with ground effects.

Now he's a 58 year old man, and when he drives to work (on Ohio State University's campus), he gets thumbs up and smiles from college girls all the time. A couple college chicks even hollered "Hot car!!" at him.

FlyinMSP said:
I have a very similar reasoning (exept #e lol), and every 4 months or so I feel this "RX8 urge" :) But I live in Canada and I wan a car to drive 12 months/year, but you don't have this problem, so go 4 it!!

the rx8 is a GREAT car in snow and ice, you just HAVE to have the correct tires for it. So get a set of summer wheels/tires and use the stock wheels and put snows tires on them (i like Blizzaks) and rock them in the winter months. Or the other way around.

Hmmm, although i like the idea of getting a new mazdaspeed3, this thread makes me ponder a rx-8 as well...

ZoomZoomH said:
ms3 is probably more versatile for daily use, and arguable faster than the RX-8 too.

arguably?

No doubt about it the MS3 would blow the DOORS off an RX-8. That RX-8 would be seeing the MS3's rear so fast, it would make your head spin!

Latest posts

Back