Roof Rack For The Mazda5 Thread

I would say keep an eye on eBay. I got the OEM one for $150, got a Yakima basket for $100 and a Thule bike tray for $25.

Holy sh*&! $640 @ REI for the 18 Pro skybox!

http://www.rei.com/product/784511/yakima-skybox-pro-18-roof-box

Time to really troll the used gear sales..... There is one this saturday at my REI!

For those who may be considering a Yakima cargo box, go with the Skybox 18. I installed a Skybox 16S because Skybox 18 is too long for my wife's hatchback. As you can see in the attached image, Skybox 16s looks a bit short on the roof. I tried 18 at my local REI and it looked better.
View attachment 194482
View attachment 194480

Also, I used the q towers only once on my 5. I hated they way they interfered with the rear doors.<br>
I just bought a set of 4 control towers and a fairing on fleabay for $61 (!!)<br>
I hope this works out.

Last edited:
@GBean
get the Thule Aeroblade load bars.they fit the fixed point of the Mazda 5, they are really nice.Unlike the Yakima racks I read somewhere that they recommend us to buy Thule rack cause they make it to fit the fixed point and they don't ( and never will )

Last edited:
i need some help finding a bike carrier for my inno rack
those with the inno rack what do you use

I grabbed Yakima Raptor racks- they can mount onto any bar if they're the "Aero" type, and you can convert the standard to Aero with the Mighty Mounts ($40 on Amazon). I picked up a pair used with locks on Craigslist for less than what one costs without locks ($140 new). They mount the bike using wheel stays and a bottom tube clamp so you don't have to remove your wheels at all.

Don't know why my post from yesterday was deleted..... But:

Got my control towers from Ebay, after three weeks. Got a $25 partial refund from the seller due to their misplacing the package after they created the shipping label. They said UPS had it, UPS said they never got it from the shipper...
Anyway, they came with landing pad 6 (full set) and a 32" fairing. All this stuff is brand new.
Called my local REI to see if they could possibly exchange the 6's for the 11's.
They hooked it up.
I was looking though the install manual for the landing pad 11 and wouldn't you know, they have the Mazda 5 listed for fitment. WTF? It says to use the 30mm bolts.
I haven't thrown it on yet. But we'll see how those bolts work.

I've had a rack like that from Yakima. Got rid of it, less vertical clearance and not so stable.

i have a pair of some older Thule velo-vise bike carriers that i dont use anymore, if you want them. let me know, and i'll grab some pictures.

For those with the Inno IN-XR racks, which fairing are you using? I've seen some negative comments on the small one (in260) and would like to know about how well the medium one (in261) fits. The picture on inno's site suggest the fairing should go outside the mounting points, which would be >40". I measured the interior space of the rails at 39".

I just made a rush shipment from ORS, and they don't currently have the fairing, so I have some short period of time to decide and was looking for some suggestions.

get the medium fairing...here is a comparison of a small vs. the medium on my 5

InnoFairingComparison.jpg

I bought the medium one. I was wondering can you put a fairing on the stock one? I was planning to purchase a stock one since its higher. Hard for me to open my sun roof

Yes you can install a fairing on the OEM Mazda roof rack. However, you have to buy the Thule 871XT 38" fairing so it clamps to the square load bars. Also, you'll have to give up opening your sunroof, something I couldn't bring myself to do because I use it daily. So... I opted against a fairing and ordered the OEM Mazda moonroof visor for two reasons:

1. Because I like the way it looks
2. To see if it minimizes the wind noise when traveling on the highway with my sunroof open.

By the way, I also confirmed with Thule about the impedance of the fairing with the sunroof and they confirmed that the fairing was designed for models without a sunroof or the cancellation of the usage of the sunroof.
Lastly, the Inno or the Yakima fairings will not work on the OEM Mazda roof rack without modification because the Inno and Yakima racks use a round type of load bar instead of square.

Last edited:
I have sold my beloved 2008 Mazda 5 a few weeks ago and now want to sell the OEM roof rack which I got the same year. It is in excellent condition (all original parts and manuals) and I was wondering what year Mazda 5 models the rack would fit? I will post more information on the sale after I find out what M5 models are suitable for the rack. I definitely will sell the rack in the Greater Toronto Area only. Thanks!

I loved the ROLA rack myself. It sat low and had aerodynamic crossbars. However, I ended up selling it and buying OEM rack because I wanted a fully functional moonroof. With the ROLA in place it doesn't fully open because it hits. If you don't have a moonroof or don't care to use it fully, the ROLA is the way to go IMO.

Back