Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

Since Mazda is pretty slow on the uptake. Is there anything we can do to resolve this ourselves? Could retaining power to the USB port work or would that kill the battery?

Since Mazda is pretty slow on the uptake. Is there anything we can do to resolve this ourselves? Could retaining power to the USB port work or would that kill the battery?

No. That will NOT work. It's the power inside the head unit that's the issue, NOT the power to the USB device.

Hi

I got this email from mazda today. I think there will be a fix soon

Thank you for your email.

In regards to your question, Mazda is working on an fix and update for this issue, and we expect a resolution shortly. However, we cannot give a definite time at this point. Please continue to check with your dealership for when the update will be available, as they will be one of the first one to know.

Sincerely,
Jacques
Customer Relations Coordinator
MAZDA CANADA INC
800.263.4680 Ext.
[SR Number: 1-2456700]

Hi

I got this email from mazda today. I think there will be a fix soon

Thank you for your email.

In regards to your question, Mazda is working on an fix and update for this issue, and we expect a resolution shortly. However, we cannot give a definite time at this point. Please continue to check with your dealership for when the update will be available, as they will be one of the first one to know.

Sincerely,
Jacques
MAZDA CANADA INC
800.263.4680 Ext.
[SR Number: 1-2456700]
That's been their canned response for some time now. You can see other forum members quote the same message.

"We will continue to string you along with false hope, until the statute of limitations runs out on the possibility of there being a class action lawsuit" is how I read that response.

Yep. Frankly I've given up hope. I'm replacing the stupid thing with aftermarket. The factory sound quality is crappy anyway (even with replaced speakers).

Plus, I'll get rid of the lousy voice recognition that I always end up arguing with anyway :)

WE HAVE A TIME FRAME!!!!!! (Although a crappy one)

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:19:37 -0700
Subject: Service Request 1-21740160
To: XXXXXXXXXXX

Service Request 1-21740160

Dear MR. XXXXXXXXX,

At the moment, there is a fix in the works for this year. Unfortunately, we do not have an exact date of when it will be ready. It is to be expected for the end of summer.

Regards,

SAMANTHA
MAZDA CANADA INC
800.263.4680 Ext.
[SR Number: 1-21740160]

Last edited:
WE HAVE A TIME FRAME!!!!!! (Although a crappy one)
Heh! Ok, this is me, holding my breath...
holding-breath.jpg

(no, it's not really me.)

Further to this topic, I'm beginning to think that the radio is not the issue, but rather the Bluetooth module. Based on both looking at the schematics, and opening up the USB/Aux jack box to trace connections (see: Opening Aux/USB box) it looks like the Bluetooth module is actually what handles the USB reading. The Aux jack is wired direct to the radio, however the USB pins are wired to the BT module (conn pins 2A-2C, at top right of schematic) . From there to the radio they would seem to share the same audio signal as the other BT ones do (conn pins 1J-1M at bottom left of schematic).

Based on this, I'm guessing that a software update to the radio, is not the fix. Rather the BT module will require removing and either reprogramming or replacement. THIS might be why this is all taking so much time.

Also, as I said on the other post, this explains why some folks have had the Bluetooth module replaced to cure the notorious USB drive corruption issues.

attachment.php

Attachments

• BluetoothConnections.jpg
    BluetoothConnections.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1,012
Last edited:
That would also corroborate other posts I've seen where Mazda from some contries was stating that a hardware, and more precisely BT module, update was in the works...

I emailed Mazda Canada about the terrible iPod integration and they suggested that I go see my local service department. (piss)

I emailed Mazda Canada about the terrible iPod integration and they suggested that I go see my local service department. (piss)

Same thing here. In French:

Merci d'avoir contacter Mazda Canada Inc.

Pour rpondre a votre question au sujets des mises pour la Mazda CX-5, nous n'avons pas d'information sur la date de sortie des mises jours.

Veillez rester en contact avec le dpartement de service, il vous tiendrons au courant.

Bouhhh

That would also corroborate other posts I've seen where Mazda from some contries was stating that a hardware, and more precisely BT module, update was in the works...
Yet more corroboration.. in ErgoZooms response to this topic on another thread (here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...k-been-fixed&p=6276595&viewfull=1#post6276595), he says that in the 2013 (working USB) radios, the USB connection went straight to the back of the Radio, NOT to the BT unit. So I checked the 2013 schematics, and sure enough, he's perfectly correct. In that year the BT was not in the way of the USB!

But more, the USB port still exists on the 2014 radio (top right grey connector - marked: "Unused - 920-401D" on the attached pic.) I wonder if anyone has tried (or could try) connecting to that port directly and seeing if the USB would still work there? I would do it myself, but I've already decided on replacing the radio and have ordered all the pieces.

Attachments

• Radio Connectors.png
    Radio Connectors.png
    271.7 KB · Views: 280
I would try it, but where would I get a harness that plugs into that? Doesn't look like a standard USB jack of any sort.

No, you'd have to get pin sockets that fit, from some other connector and connect individually. :(

I am trying to fit the Commander into my CX5 and I have Headunits from the Mazda 6 2014 and CX5 2013 Models. I can confirm that the USB in the CX5 2013 runs directly to the Headunit, while in the 6 the USB runs through the BT Module. The Software on each Headunit is locked so you can not plug USB directly into the Headunit of the 2014 Models. This is the only thing stopping me from putting the Headunit from the 6 into my CX5 so i can get the commander to function.

I am trying to fit the Commander into my CX5 and I have Headunits from the Mazda 6 2014 and CX5 2013 Models. I can confirm that the USB in the CX5 2013 runs directly to the Headunit, while in the 6 the USB runs through the BT Module. The Software on each Headunit is locked so you can not plug USB directly into the Headunit of the 2014 Models. This is the only thing stopping me from putting the Headunit from the 6 into my CX5 so i can get the commander to function.
Ahh, OK, thanks Chris. I guess that answers that question then.

Pure WOW Mazda.

137,214 CX-5 sold in the US, and they still don't give a button about crappy audio unit.

137,214 CX-5 sold in the US, and they still don't give a button about crappy audio unit.
It's a shame, as I personally know of at least 3 or 4 sales that they've lost due to the fact that they aren't doing anything to resolve the issue. My dealership enjoys that I use them for service. I don't think they've quite caught on to the fact that I've chased customers away from Mazda by telling them about the audio unit, how it doesn't work, and how Mazda is doing NOTHING to resolve it.

Back