Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

I have a question, I test drove a 2014 CX5 and I brought along my my 160GB iPod Classic (with about 80GB of music). When I tried to play the iPod, the car's headunit was just reading the iPod for over 5 minutes. I tried plugging it in again, and same thing. I never did get to try it out. What I want to know is if the 2013 has that same issue? I can get a good deal on a 2013, but I may not get it if it can't play my iPod.

Thanks!

Well good luck to all of you. I gave up waiting on a fix and bought a 2014 jeep grand cherokee. You plug the ipod in and it starts playing in a couple seconds and it resumes exactly where it left off when restarting the car. Imagine that. Not sure what Mazdas problem is, but they lost a sale because of it.

SO we have a 2013 CX9 Touring no navi and have all the same very annoying issues. My wife has a USB stick with about 500+ songs, and every time she starts the car has to listen to song number 1 which is some Alicia Keys song! She then has to either switch to shuffle mode (which as one user noted does not really shuffle the whole list of songs but seems to repeat the first 45 or so) or fast forward, or switch to album setting, where it plays the album, but if it finishes the album restarts it! And of course on the way home, has to do this all over again....She loves the car but this (and the bluetooth not downloading her phonebook) are very annoying, especially in a brand new $30k plus vehicle, that Mazda touts with as having a great interface with the touch screen etc. I hate to get down on the entire car, but honestly you use the stereo system alot! And Mazda could do better so easily. I am hoping for a software upgrade (but think it is doubtful) or maybe if enough complaints they will replace the head unit? Dreaming, I know..... I am going to send email to Mazda as well as talk to my dealer, they can give feedback to Mazda on the sales side too hopefully will help. We came out of a 2005 Honda Pilot in which I had installed an aftermarket touchscreen navigation, etc unit that was about $600 and far outperformed the stock new Mazda unit. And the songs picked up where you left off!

I agree, it's super annoying. Here are two things that I do that help but it's ridiculous that we have to do this.

1. Get a silent 5 minute mp3 here http://www.xamuel.com/blank-mp3-files/5min.mp3 and rename it in iTunes something like 001 Silent for both the title and artist. 001 is important so the unit picks it first. That way it's the first song auto played and it gives you time to select your own starting track without the annoyance of hearing the same song like it's groundhog day.

2. The shuffle isn't random so what I do is select a different track than the starting track and then shuffle. That way it isn't the same "shuffled" playlist.

Definitely complain via email and the dealership. Hopefully this will get momentum and a fix will come.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but started a similar one in the new 2014 Mazda6 audio forum. Forgive me if this has already been posted. This problem is present in the 2014 6 also, and I'm really pissed. I only have one response in that thread, I guess because it's such a new model. We all need to keep the pressure on Mazda about this, so they will DO something. Thanks for letting me vent!!

Sorry if this has been covered... Just thought I'd share that this issue is not an issue in my 2014 CX-5 (Sport, manual) with the base/no-bluetooth audio system. Go figure. I'd like to upgrade the audio system to get the bluetooth, so I came here to do research and found this issue which is very disappointing. I have been using my inexpensive Sansa Clip mp3 player plugged via USB and it resumes beautifully after switching to radio/CD and back, or after car is restarted. I will be monitoring this issue...

Sorry if this has been covered... Just thought I'd share that this issue is not an issue in my 2014 CX-5 (Sport, manual) with the base/no-bluetooth audio system. Go figure. I'd like to upgrade the audio system to get the bluetooth, so I came here to do research and found this issue which is very disappointing. I have been using my inexpensive Sansa Clip mp3 player plugged via USB and it resumes beautifully after switching to radio/CD and back, or after car is restarted. I will be monitoring this issue...

Tested my Sansa Clip+ on a 2014 Touring w/Tech and it work as well as a USB stick (i.e., poorly). This is a huge oversight and if this were my car I would have passed it and looked elsewhere. I know, it's just music, right? But that's a big deal to me as I, like many others, like listening to my music collection while driving. I'm so used to USB support on my Civic just working (and seeing similar functionality on aftermarket head units w/USB ports) that it's frankly sad that Mazda has not fixed this yet and can only offer up a canned response via e-mail. This will definitely color any future buying considerations I have for Mazda. I'm honestly surprised more people aren't up in arms about this. I hear about people whining about things like Ford's SYNC being buggy, but when it works it works great. The USB functionality on this year of vehicle is simply broken and frankly I don't think I could consider anything less than having it fixed or replaced ASAP...

I absolutely agree. This is the first car I have owned with this functionality and, after using it for less than a week, I have found it to be such a nice feature that I am unwilling to give it up. I will not upgrade to the BlueTooth audio package unless this issue is resolved, and will have to use a workaround for phone calls (which is also completely rediculous- I can't believe any mfr sells cars w/o bluetooth functionality in a 2014 model. I put Bluetooth waaay above tire pressure sensors and keyless ignition).

I absolutely agree. This is the first car I have owned with this functionality and, after using it for less than a week, I have found it to be such a nice feature that I am unwilling to give it up. I will not upgrade to the BlueTooth audio package unless this issue is resolved, and will have to use a workaround for phone calls (which is also completely rediculous- I can't believe any mfr sells cars w/o bluetooth functionality in a 2014 model. I put Bluetooth waaay above tire pressure sensors and keyless ignition).

Welcome to Mazda. My 2008 CX-9 had a blindspot monitoring system, but didn't have auto door locks or an iPod connection.

Oh, and is it true you can't browse/play mp3's by folder? This would have to be fixed as well for me to consider upgrading. As far as i can tell, it's the only way to browse through my Sansa Clip with the base/no bluetooth head unit (and that's how i want it to be).

Oh, and is it true you can't browse/play mp3's by folder? This would have to be fixed as well for me to consider upgrading. As far as i can tell, it's the only way to browse through my Sansa Clip with the base/no bluetooth head unit (and that's how i want it to be).

True. It's the worst brand new stereo you can get in this class of vehicle. Slow interface, won't resume, can't browse by folder, and no plans to fix.

When I tried a Sansa Cip+ in my 2014 Touring with Bose all I got was "USB Error" on the screen.

When I tried a Sansa Cip+ in my 2014 Touring with Bose all I got was "USB Error" on the screen.

I'm taking a guess that you have the Clip+'s USB mode in Autodetect or MTP. I believe you have to go to the settings and set it to MSC, then recopy the files back onto the device (copy them off then back on from a computer). Haven't actually tested if you need to do the latter once you switch, but that's what I've seen on many forum posts re: this...

I'm taking a guess that you have the Clip+'s USB mode in Autodetect or MTP. I believe you have to go to the settings and set it to MSC, then recopy the files back onto the device (copy them off then back on from a computer). Haven't actually tested if you need to do the latter once you switch, but that's what I've seen on many forum posts re: this...

Thanks for the info. I actually ordered the Sansa Clip+ online specifically to see if it was any better than the iPod with our cars. Once I got the USB Error I packed it up and sent it back. It sounds like I'm not missing much compared to the USB stick I'm currently forced to use. At least the stick is better than the iPod.

2014 CX5 GRAND TOURING. 30K vehicle with the crappiest interface on the market. Traded in a 2011 Ford Fusion whose interface blows away my brand new CX5. Who would design such a poor piece of software?? Amazing that Mazda put out this crap. IPOD NANO 4G takes 2 mins to regen and it starts on the same song everytime. I will never buy another MAZDA

2014 CX5 GRAND TOURING. 30K vehicle with the crappiest interface on the market. Traded in a 2011 Ford Fusion whose interface blows away my brand new CX5. Who would design such a poor piece of software?? Amazing that Mazda put out this crap. IPOD NANO 4G takes 2 mins to regen and it starts on the same song everytime. I will never buy another MAZDA

Ouch, how much of a hit did you take for the trade-in? I agree that the poor headunit operation is a very large oversight on Mazda's part, but I still have hope that they'll get it fixed. I am definitely taking a wait-and-see attitude and hope they respond by correcting this. If not then that would definitely weigh heavily on any future purchase considerations...

I have the same issues with my 2013 Mazdaspeed3 with tech package. I have an iPod classic 160gb and it takes between 15 and 20 minutes to read all 62 gigs of music I have on there, and always starts off playing the same song. Had I known about this issue I wouldn't have spent the extra 2500 for the package since I'm stuck playing music via auxiliary anyway. I don't understand how this could have ever passed quality control and product tests.

I have the same issues with my 2013 Mazdaspeed3 with tech package.

That's odd because on the CX-5 the 2013 with Tech package works beautifully. My iPod nano loads almost instantly and begins playback at the exact position in the song it last played.

If music was that important to you why didn't you spend the test time testing out the kit?

Its that important to me that I haven't even played the radio.

I have tested the satnav, and was very unimpressed, but I liked the car that much I've ordered one, but only after four test drives.

Latest posts

Back