Real World MPG, and what is a good lease deal.

real usage for me on the 3S GT with Tech package (so with the i-eloop capacitor): most of the time 28MPG. That's a mix of really short city trips (less than 2 miles), and some mix city/highway, with usually some time in traffic jam.
Without the highway miles I would be in 22-24MPG I think. Pure Highway would be rather high 30s.

im getting 23 and thats having never driven it farther than 6 miles on the highway. it depends a lot how you drive the car, i have noticed it maintains speed with very little throttle input/modulation.

actually checked my avg mpg and its 26. remember, that is VERY short drives like 1-3 miles and a couple highway trips 12mi total round trip. with a little over 160 miles on the car.

Im excited to take it on a trip up to Austin. It definitely gets good gas mileage for how Ive been using it, highway is typically much better.

Last edited:
I'm wanting to get the new Mazda 3 s with the tech package.

I need to know what Real world MPG you are getting, and what is your driving style.

Typically I'm the slow guy on the road trying to save the last few MPG.

Got an email offer that said the following about a lease with the fully loaded Mazda 3 s with newest tech package.

"435.00 down 343.00 a month 39 months"

Is this a good deal?

I do like this cars styling but the Honda Accord Hybrid does look great to me.
This is one tough decision for me, My first new car and it has to last. at least 150,000.

Thanks for any help

MIKE

25 mpg, 80% city traffic! aggressive driving ;-)

I'm extremely pleased with this car and it's still in break-in period.

I always thought if you are going to lease, Lease a vehicle with the highest residual value. You can get a whole lot more car for that kind of money. Mazda residuals are not that good. The most important number — whether you buy or lease — is the purchase price. you STILL have to negotiate as if you are buying. People neglect that much to the salesmans delight. Leasing makes you focus on the monthly payment. That is the worst way to shop for a car. There are no "leasing deals" Just a pre concocted purchase price and working backwards to a payment that makes people look twice.

You can lease a $39,000 car for $400 a month. Why lease a Mazda? The money you save on fuel is going towards extreme depreciation! Lease the most expensive car you can with the highest residual.

In this case I would say go with the Honda and get the best of both. People throw a lot of depreciation money away to get an extra 6 MPG. Doesn't make sense. If you leased a BMW for $100 less you would probably be ahead after the fuel costs, Mazda’s own 2014 Mazda 6 can be leased for $209 to $219 a month for 36 months with $1,999 to $2,009 due at signing.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/four-ways-to-spot-a-good-lease.html

Last edited:
In my first few weeks with my car in LA stop and go traffic, I'm lucky to get over 20 mpg with about 85% city driving. The car has about 200 miles on it now -- am I doing something wrong here or is it just still in its break in period? Anyone else experience numbers that low? I've got a MT HB iGT. Love the car but admittedly pretty disappointed with the MPG so far.

Mixed commute driving I'm getting 31MPG. While it is nearly all highway, rush hour stop and go hurts the average. 2.5L GT 5 Door

With real MPGs, 2.5L is much worse than 2.0L than the EPA ratings indicate.
My friend has a 2.0L. We compare MPGs quite often.
sT/sGT has 25% more displacement.
Owners should not expect too much or believe in EPA ratings without any doubts.

If the computer stores the average speed (miles per hour) post that also. e.g. my avg speed is 45mph on my 80 mile commute on non-Mazda car.

When I am making an effort I seem to get 33 to 35 mpg in mixed driving 50% highway 50% urban street in the 2.5 even with a little sport mode thrown in. When I am not making an effort the flow of traffic in the faster highway lanes takes me to 70-75 mph which definitely has a negative impact.

Back