Real World MPG, and what is a good lease deal.

I'm wanting to get the new Mazda 3 s with the tech package.

I need to know what Real world MPG you are getting, and what is your driving style.

Typically I'm the slow guy on the road trying to save the last few MPG.

Got an email offer that said the following about a lease with the fully loaded Mazda 3 s with newest tech package.

"435.00 down 343.00 a month 39 months"

Is this a good deal?

I do like this cars styling but the Honda Accord Hybrid does look great to me.
This is one tough decision for me, My first new car and it has to last. at least 150,000.

Thanks for any help

MIKE

I got 32.2mpg on my last fill up. My driving was mixed 60% city and 40% highway. I get a little heavy in the foot sometimes as well. When going 60, I am usually getting in the high 30s on the highway.

So you're going to lease the car? Isn't there a limit on how many miles you can put on the car? I think 150,000 would be a lot for a leased car no? I've never leased a car before so not sure how they work.

As for mpg, I get around 28-29 mpg mixed driving. I do about 70% city and the others are short distances (5-6 miles) on the freeway with traffic. Not too bad considering my previous car (pontiac vibe) has a 2.4L and lesser power and got 21-22 doing the same driving.

I can only comment on mpgs since I didn't lease. MPG is definitely a strong point of the car, even with my s Touring hatch. I'm averaging between 27-34mpg mixed driving, 27-29mpg city driving, and mid 30s to low 40s driving all highway at 60-70mph. Sport mode sends your mpgs down the drain. As always, conditions will make your mpgs vary. It's definitely a huge step up from my last car a 2008 Nissan Versa hatch which barely gave me over 200 miles per tank and never got over 25mpg in the 5 years I owned it despite it having only 122hp from a 1.8 liter 4 banger.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
reason for my lease, my circumstances may likely change in 3 years. A little better economy and I will get something newer. And if it gets bad, I have a truck that's paid for. I'm 42 and ready to enjoy life a little more now.

I am getting a little over 300 miles per tank. From watching the computer in the car I am averaging 27-33 MPG. Most of my driving is a 25 minute highway drive then 10-15 minute of city street driving on my commute. Plus some going around town driving.

I've started to keep track of my mileage and such at fill ups as I think this gas gauge and range left is off... I haven't really pushed it down to one bar and seen how far I can take it yet. Don't really want to run of juice.

11-19-13, 2997 miles on odometer, 4 bars left (65 range), 9.331 gallons fill up
11-26-13, 3309 miles on odometer, 2 bars left (43 range), 10.589 gallons fill up

With a full tank the range computer calculates is between 400 and 415 from my experience but it goes down fast and jumps around...

I also noticed the average MPH is always at 30 or 31 - even when going 60-70 on the highway. Always is at 30/31 when I looked at it.

I hope they have a update someday that maybe improves the gas gauge and MPG/MPH/range calculations as it seems off to me.

Have you reset your average MPG? If you have quite a few miles behind you, it is going to take quite a few more miles at some different MPG to make much of a difference. I usually reset it at each fill. I'm averaging about 28 MPG. A little disappointing since I do about 3/4 highway 1/4 town and I'm not driving the car hard at all. Hopefully it will improve slightly as it breaks in. I'm also curious if a little better MPG can be had by running premium/92 oct.

That doesn't seem like a good deal. I bought a Sport on Monday, financed the whole thing, and I'm paying about $340/month for 60 months. If you're OK with having to sell it or trade it in after 3 years, I'd imagine you'd come out ahead on depreciation vs. leasing.

After about 100 miles, I'm averaging 34ish MPG. My commute is 10 miles of highway, followed by 10 miles of back roads. The only time the MPG is disappointing is on the way to work, I-71 is a slight uphill 70 MPH speed limit, and at 75 MPH, I'm getting about 30 MPG. In my RX-8, I would get 14-15 on this stretch of highway on the way to work, and well over 20 on the way home.

As I posted in another topic, my MPG is dropping with each fill. Last time I averaged 26.4 MPG over 300 miles of mixed driving; about 1/2 on the highway at 70 MPH, 1/4 on rural backroads at about 45 MPH, and about 1/4 around town.

Last edited:
Well that gas miliage sucks.
My friends 2014 Honda Accord hybrid is averaging 60 MPG. Better than EPA. He says this is normal driving. His worst tank was 53 MPG do to liking the extra power a little to much.
If i keep seeing more MPG like this it may sway me to go with the Accord.

My friends 2014 Honda Accord hybrid is averaging 60 MPG.
I hear a Prius gets better MPG than a Viper, too.
rolling.gif

Bear in mind, colder weather causes about a 10% drop in MPG's.
I believe that is the biggest factor in my case. The high today was low 30's (F) and it is down to mid-teens at night. It has been unusually cold for the last couple of weeks and a lot of my driving has been short trips so the car isn't fully warmed up for a good part of the mileage.

At 60 mph at 0F my mpg is around 34 mpg highway and at 35F my mpg is around 41

Then there is warm up time, wind, snow on road, defrost on...

Sounds like most of you guys are running with the 2.5 vs the 2.0? I guess I was expecting better MPG's. I've got a long highway slog commute and the estimated 40 is very appealing, but I'm very curious as to what I'd get @70+ for long stretches of highway.

I do OK with long 70+ mph highway miles. With the 2.5, I got just over 37 MPG = EPA estimate.
What kills my mileage are short trips. The car sucks gas when cold. Lucky to break 24 mpg.

Last edited:
Curious if anyone's got additional observations about MPG in less than ideal situations - esp. in stop/go traffic and running A/C? While I do more highway miles overall, I spend a lot of time in stop-and-go traffic (either in the city, or in freeway traffic jams.) And with SoCal sun, A/C's on for a lot of the year. Obviously these impact mileage in any car, but I'm wondering if the SkyActiv MPG is more sensitive to these factors - and if so, by how much? Interested in buying one, but want to avoid nasty MPG surprises. (I'm considering the 2.0 L AT.)

I have the 2.5 and so far i would say that the Real world MPG EPA rating is a little optimistic. But it is cold here so i will have to wait till summer.

Cold weather hurts MPG is well-known.
However, don't forget the impact of winter-formula gas.
We have "that" in California.

Back