rare violent and rough engine starts....

I'm not saying that this problem is necessarily the same one I had, but the engine mount problem is widespread enough for Mazda to be aware of it and to have a fix for it. They worked hand in hand with my dealer to identify and fix the known issue. Hopefully the newer CX 5s coming off the line have the sturdier mount in place already.

Actually, it would only take one defective engine mount for Mazda to be aware of it and I'm sure they would develop a fix for it (rather than scrap the entire car because it had a defective engine mount).

If you are saying Mazda already knew about this issue when you brought yours in, that would indicate there was at least one other defective one. But to assume all CX-5's have defective or weak engine mounts is unreasonable based upon the available evidence.

I had to replace the engine mount on my 2000 Volvo S80 twice in 100,000 miles and many others had the same issue. In my opinion, that was a weak or poor design.

But to assume all CX-5's have defective or weak engine mounts is unreasonable based upon the available evidence.

I have this problem and have seen several post of others that have had it. In my case the mount only bumps when the car is very cold and in reverse at 1500-2000 rpm backing up a steep hill or with the brake applied. The only way it is a problem for me is if I have to back a cold car up my steep drive. I took it to a dealer to see if it could be adjusted but the day and engine was warm and I could not replicate it. It is not enough of an issue for me to leave it overnight at the dealer so they can catch it cold. It does not hurt anything, just makes a little low vibrating noise...

Hey guys,
I've been having this EXACT same issue. I'm in Ottawa, and the weather has been fairly mild, above 5C for the passed few weeks but have had these rough starts. Like most of you, the issue occurs on an inconsistent basis. There doesn't appear to be a pattern whatsoever. Mine is a 2013 GX AWD, under 5k km on it. It's never actually stalled, but feels like it comes very very close. I haven't spoken to the dealer about it yet, but I plan to stop in later in the week to see what they say.
I wonder if we all posted the manufacture date and location it was built, if we could find some sort of link (perhaps bad engine mount like one user suggested).

caubs, let us know what your dealer finds. I have gotten an ECU update that didn't fix it. Was there for an oil change recently and told them it was still happening, but with the weather warming up and the infrequency of the sputtering/stalling it's hard to have it looked at. Or at least, they don't want to anyway. I could leave it there for a month in winter and it may never happen for them. There have never been any codes thrown either and no new updates as of Saturday when I had my oil change.

Nodnerb - My experience has been similar to yours, except I haven't bothered telling dealer service about it yet (I was hoping/waiting for a TSB....).

A total of 6 or 7 very brief cold morning start episodes in 14 months of ownership and 18.5K miles. Otherwise flawless engine performance.

Last edited:
I've had my 2013 CX-5 for just under 2 weeks and I have experienced this twice already. Both times it was on a cooler morning, maybe in the 40F range.

I've had my 2013 CX-5 for eight months and have had nothing but reliable, normal starts.

Starts were from 10 degrees F and up.

Hi all, thought I would jump back in with my own 'quick fix' to the problem as the dealer has been useless here. I noticed those really rough starts are generally only a problem when it is cold out. I tried putting the vehicle into axillary (?) mode - pushing the start button twice without my foot on the break. This engages the electronic systems and when left in this position for about 5-10 sec (I usually wait until the radio is on and playing as my gauge) before starting the vehicle as this seems to alleviate the problem entirely. Almost like waiting for glow plugs to warm up in an old diesel engine. Hope this helps :)

My wife's CX-5 has been suffering an idle issue lately.
Only on cold starts, when ambient temp is below 40 degrees or so.
The engine idle will very briefly become erratic. It idles high, as it should, but seems to misfire our stumble quite a bit before it settles down. After 3-5 seconds, all is normal, and I experience no other abnormal issues once the vehicle has warmed.

I don't see any TSBs which appear to address an issue this specifically. No dummy lights, or trouble codes either. Anybody know what the recommended gapping is for the spark plugs? May pull them and take a look, or replace them.

Mine is still stalling at times upon cold starts. Anywhere from -10C to -20C. It's hard to actually get it goin in these situations. I have to give about half throttle after it starts and it still sputters and threatens to stall. I suspect the fuel pump, but I still can't get Mazda to take me seriously.

Update - I had these issues when I first bought the vehicle almost 2 years ago. After those first two months or so, it never happened again. Also, the Mazda dealership never took me seriously either. I had to explain to them 5 times that I understood why the engine is louder upon startup and that that was not the issue I was experiencing. Since I couldn't reproduce it at the dealer, they gave me a receipt saying everything is fine and went back to selling overpriced oil. (Obviously I'm a little bitter about this experience.)

When you get a dealership that ignores your complant after several visits, it is time to contact the Mazda area factory representative via registered mail. Set up an appointment time and hopefully the issue will be resolved. Ed

I love my car, but the experience is making me seriously consider a 2.0 escape. At least then I can take it to the ford dealer near me who were quite good when I had my old 05 escape.

Mine is still stalling at times upon cold starts. Anywhere from -10C to -20C. It's hard to actually get it goin in these situations. I have to give about half throttle after it starts and it still sputters and threatens to stall. I suspect the fuel pump, but I still can't get Mazda to take me seriously.

The stalling is very troubling and seems to be a somewhat unique trait with your vehicle.

The stalling is very troubling and seems to be a somewhat unique trait with your vehicle.

hate to revive an old thread but my 2013 sport auto just stalled for the first time this morning. It's odd because it's starting to warm up. I usually let it go through its 30 second or however long warm-up cycle but this morning I was in a hurry and I just threw in reverse, pulled out of my driveway went to put it in drive and it stalled.

IHeartGroceries, what you described sounds like the Skyactive cold start feature where the engine retards the exhaust valve opening for up to 30 seconds to heat up the catalytic converter quickly. When the engine is in this mode it runs very ruff and sounds like it wants to stall at times. I believe this is also in the owners manual and they have an acronym for it.

When I first bought my Sport about two years ago it would sometimes stall on a cold start. I took it into the dealer and they did something with the computer that fixed it. It still ran rough for for the first few seconds upon startup (normal) but it never stalled again.

When I first bought my Sport about two years ago it would sometimes stall on a cold start. I took it into the dealer and they did something with the computer that fixed it. It still ran rough for for the first few seconds upon startup (normal) but it never stalled again.

Good info for the few that experienced actual stalling when cold.

My 2013 has never stalled but occasionally I get the real rough idle for a couple of seconds, beyond that zero issues with drivability cold.

Good info for the few that experienced actual stalling when cold.

My 2013 has never stalled but occasionally I get the real rough idle for a couple of seconds, beyond that zero issues with drivability cold.

When it is very cold, lower than -25C, the transmission complains rather loudly if while you are reversing, you change it into drive too quickly. Starts every time though, and nothing close to a stall.

The dealership I purchased my '15 CX-5 GT from said to expect this. In fact, the salesman mentioned this before I even took it on it's first test drive. He said something about it being a normal start up procedure for the new SkyActiv-G 2.5. He said that this "rough" start has something to do with the ECU helping the engine to come up to normal operating temps faster. Was he blowing smoke? I don't know. But it sounds like a very reasonable explanation.

Also, I just found this... basically says the same thing.
http://www.mazda3club.com/showthread.php?t=56343

Back