rare violent and rough engine starts....

I would suggest to get an app to read the info from the CX-5 ECU to see what is happening. I have a CX-5 Sport with 6MT and use the android "Torque" app along with a OBD2 bluetooth adapter and can monitor all kinds of readings from the ECU. The app was about $5 and the adapter was about $15 on amazon. o2 sensor, a/f ratio, maf, throttle and timing advance readings could all be useful to see what is happening and the app can read all of these in real time and graph and log them also. The app can also check and clear any codes from the ECU.

From the description, it sounds like something is weird is happening and it may not be the kind of thing that Mazda can easily pull from the ECU when you bring it in. Intake air temp, MAF reading and O2 reading may give some clues when the problem is happening. Smartphone apps today can graph and log any data in the ECU so it might be best if people who are having the problem try to see if they can narrow the problem down a little.

About 20 start-up in -25'C here in Quebec and no issues so far... Hope it never happens

Posted this on 19 and the next day it happened.........

Last edited:
Buger, You can link?

Below are the links for the android app on google play and for the exact OBD2/bluetooth adapters that I got on amazon. There are other cheaper OBD2/bluetooth adapters as low as $9 but I picked one that had a lot of good reviews as I read the the cheaper ones can be kind of a crapshoot.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Below are a couple of quick youtube videos which show the app
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay-ZvTn3fLo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJMHZv7OEA

I got the new ecu version installed today. I havent had the issue in the last month, and i hope it fixes it permanently.

I had the update over a month ago. Today when starting up it almost stalled on me again. Its had a few slightly rough starts but today was the first since the update that it almost stalled. :( my wife heard it from inside the house and asked, "rough start today?" When getting into the car.

Last edited:
I had the update over a month ago. Today when starting up it almost stalled on me again. Its had a few slightly rough starts but today was the first since the update that it almost stalled. :( my wife heard it from inside the house and asked, "rough start today?" When getting into the car.

Sorry to hear update did not work, maybe next update will be better. I'm still at 4 brief cold start incidents in 13K miles, so I'm curious but not bothered.

Yeah I agree. I would love if it didn't do it, but it has never failed to start. Only once did it stall and it started right up the second try. It's sat over night in -25 weather and started fine so at least I know it isn't temp related. I was worried about the extreme temps we get here. Jan and feb it usually starts getting down to the -35 range so we'll see how it does then.

Hello all , I had the same issue as what you said for the last few months , but it never brings to my notice.

Today , my engine totally cut off at the first time startup , but it's fine in the second time.

I think this would be the final result of having rough starts.

Here is my another thread about it
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-first-time-starting-up-at-the-winter-morning

I talked with someone in Asia , also having Cx-5 , mostly of them are having my problem when the temperature is about or below 0 C (35 F).
And they said adding some gasoline dope could help.

Everybody who is having this issue seems to have an automatic transmission . I am wondering if anybody with manual also have this issue ??

I talked with someone in Asia , also having Cx-5 , mostly of them are having my problem when the temperature is about or below 0 C (35 F).
And they said adding some gasoline dope could help.

I've been driving my AWD CX-5 a lot in very cold temperatures recently (well below freezing) with no issues or hiccups. I don't use any fuel additives but the fuel in Asia is likely different.

I too have had this problem. This rumble/rattle happens exclusively in cold temperatures but not every day it is cold. It has never stalled, and always started. I plan on taking it to the dealership Tuesday. And in response to the 'warm up' time of 30 seconds or so, it sounds horrible if I don't wait to shift out of P. Like the transmission grinding its gears.

I've noticed this issue as well, on my 2014 GT with auto transmission. I always back out of my parking spot, and its like the engine almost dies. Won't accelerate at all for the first few seconds. By the time I've gotten backed out and shift into drive, the problem goes away. Doesn't return until the next cold start. It's been mostly in the 20s F here since I bought the car about 10 days ago.

No unruly noises or grinding, just the engine faltering and almost quitting.

I'm not overly concerned at this point, as the problem goes away in a few seconds, but I'll be talking to the dealer about it during my first visit.

I've noticed this issue as well, on my 2014 GT with auto transmission. I always back out of my parking spot, and its like the engine almost dies. Won't accelerate at all for the first few seconds. By the time I've gotten backed out and shift into drive, the problem goes away. Doesn't return until the next cold start. It's been mostly in the 20s F here since I bought the car about 10 days ago.

No unruly noises or grinding, just the engine faltering and almost quitting.

I'm not overly concerned at this point, as the problem goes away in a few seconds, but I'll be talking to the dealer about it during my first visit.

Please let us know what they say...

By now they should have some experience with the quirk, given the CX-5 has been out for a year.

I will. I plan to call the dealer tomorrow. I'm a bit confused by the manual about when I need to take it in for the first checkup. 1,000 miles or what? Dealer is 80 miles away, so it's not like I can just pop in easily.

This sounds similar to the problem I had with roughness after starting. My problem was an engine mount in the automatic -- it is apparently not as strong as the mount in the manual. I had the mount replaced with the manual version, and I have not had a problem since. I, too, thought there was a problem with the transmission, but it was actually the engine vibrating due to the faulty mount.

Hope this added bit of info is helpful.

My problem was an engine mount in the automatic -- it is apparently not as strong as the mount in the manual. I had the mount replaced with the manual version, and I have not had a problem since. I, too, thought there was a problem with the transmission, but it was actually the engine vibrating due to the faulty mount.

If the engine mount of the models with automatic transmission is faulty, I would expect the issue to be widespread. I've seen no evidence to indicate such a problem.

Just to update this my status, I have had only one incident in the past 3 months and it was a doosie. It was about -10 C, so not very cold, and the car stalled after its initial rev up to 2k. Restarted and it stalled again. Restarted a third time and gave it some gas. It was sputtering and really wanted to stall but managed to keep running with a half throttle and finally evened out to normal. PRetty sure it would have stalled again if not for giving it gas. Since then it has started perfect. 3 months now without even a stutter. WTF?

Last edited:
If the engine mount of the models with automatic transmission is faulty, I would expect the issue to be widespread. I've seen no evidence to indicate such a problem.

I'm not saying that this problem is necessarily the same one I had, but the engine mount problem is widespread enough for Mazda to be aware of it and to have a fix for it. They worked hand in hand with my dealer to identify and fix the known issue. Hopefully the newer CX 5s coming off the line have the sturdier mount in place already.

Just to update this my status, I have had only one incident in the past 3 months and it was a doosie. It was about -10 C, so not very cold, and the car stalled after its initial rev up to 2k. Restarted and it stalled again. Restarted a third time and gave it some gas. It was sputtering and really wanted to stall but managed to keep running with a half throttle and finally evened out to normal. PRetty sure it would have stalled again if not for giving it gas. Since then it has started perfect. 3 months now without even a stutter. WTF?

That sounds like a bad batch of fuel - possibly with water in it.

Back