Question about ground effects

thrlride

We have a loaner 6 right now while we wait for ours to come in. The one we have has the ground effects all the way around but the one coming in is different. The salesman said that they were smooth instead of having a crease. What could these be? I know the sport has a whole different bumper for front and rear. Could this be it? We didn't buy a sport though, what is up?

Can you get the different ground effects without getting the sport package though? They were quite adament about not getting us the sport package because there were no rebates on it.

I just called the dealership and they said it has the front and rear bumpers from the sport but it isn't the sport. I hope it has the different instrument display!

There are 3-types of front/rear valences on the US-spec Mazda6:

1. Regular non-sport valence
This is a one-piece valence that is standard on i and s trims

2. Sport valence
This is a one piece sporty valence available only with Sport package and Value Sport package

3. Regular non-sport valence + front/rear lips
This valence is the same as the regular non-sport valence, but in addition, there are body coloured lips at the bottom of the front and rear valences. This makes it look similar to the Sport valence (# 2 above), but is two-pieces instead of one (and therefore has a visible parting line/crease). This valence is available with the Appearance package, or also available as asseccories for those with the regular non-sport valence (#1).

From your description, I think the loaner you have now has the Appearance package, and the one you ordered has Value Sport.

I was curious about this too and went to the parts department and asked them about this as an accessory.

While it's not exactly an accesory, I was told that the Sports Package front bumper is the same price as that front air dam accessory that you see on the Appearance package (the little front skirt). Personally, I don't like the front skirt because it's too low to the ground and I don't even like how it looks underneath a standard front bumper.

The front air dam addon is $220, and according to this parts department guy, you can get your regular bumper replaced with the sporty bumper for $220 + paint + installation.

Either the guy working there was an idiot and read the wrong part, or it really is just that cheap.

So that's always an option you have if you want to replace your standard front bumper (+ front air dam that came with your appearance package) with the sport one.

My 6 has a standard bumper too, but it came with fog lights on it, so I doubt I'd change it for the sports front bumper. You can also add the fact that my car is automatic, not manual 5 speed, so I have even less desire to put on a sports front bumper (since a 6 with automatic transmission doesn't get very "sports-like" performance).

Besides, I like my extra lights...you don't see them on too many of the 6's out there..... yet.

They are not smooth. If they were smooth, they would be molded, and I have never seen a factory vehicle with molded ground effects. The Sports Package has the same "crease" that the Appearance Package does.

Last edited:
Wrong,

The sports package has a one piece front bumper and a one piece rear bumper. This has no crease. The valence is molded right in.

The appearance package is a standard 6 with a OEM Mazda add-on body kit. This has a crease on the front bumper and rear bumper for sure. I'm not sure about the side skirts though. I think they are the same as the sport package side skirts that I believe have a crease.

Check out the brochure.

bimmerboy said:
Wrong,

The sports package has a one piece front bumper and a one piece rear bumper. This has no crease. The valence is molded right in.

The appearance package is a standard 6 with a OEM Mazda add-on body kit. This has a crease on the front bumper and rear bumper for sure. I'm not sure about the side skirts though. I think they are the same as the sport package side skirts that I believe have a crease.

Check out the brochure.

Molded and 1-piece are different. Since the Sport Package has a 1-piece bumper, then there is no molding involved.

I must have looked at a 6 with the Apperance Package then, because it was not 1-piece.

There are 3-types of front/rear valences on the US-spec Mazda6:

1. Regular non-sport valence
This is a one-piece valence that is standard on i and s trims

2. Sport valence
This is a one piece sporty valence available only with Sport package and Value Sport package

3. Regular non-sport valence + front/rear lips
This valence is the same as the regular non-sport valence, but in addition, there are body coloured lips at the bottom of the front and rear valences. This makes it look similar to the Sport valence (# 2 above), but is two-pieces instead of one (and therefore has a visible parting line/crease). This valence is available with the Appearance package, or also available as asseccories for those with the regular non-sport valence (#1).

From your description, I think the loaner you have now has the Appearance package, and the one you ordered has Value Sport.

TRUE TRUE

Back