Protege Projector retrofit thread

I'm planning on having all of that front end repainted soon. I've had a black bumper for far too long. Having a solid color car will work wonders and take me from rice to nice!

You could try rubbing compound on a semi random polisher, followed by clay, followed by 2 step wax.

Test run

jmSLmkhY4m8nA.jpg

jPLWwhIXeNTE9.jpg

jb2dpIGeq1gluo.jpg

Tested it out last night (headlights aren't fully built, just took hardware out to the car)

12V line to toggle power for the light gate electromagnet isn't long enough to reach the highbeam plug. I will have to run extra wire to make that happen.

I hooked a projector bulb to my ballast to light it up and then used a 9V battery to drop the light gate. Everything works great!

Crude picture of the light output

jTIzwN1EDg0Ze.jpg

jnKd1M8LbODEP.jpg

Last edited:
I've been reading through this and it looks like I've found the answer, but it never hurts to ask, you know?

So the Morimoto Mini H1's fit in the hole in the reflector with no cutting? I'm really wanting some HID's and halo's. I see them everywhere and drool for a couple minutes.
I see that you can paint the cut off to add some color to the lens, but has anyone tried painting the inside of the shroud along with the cutoff? I was thinking of getting the mini graphites and painting the inside red along with the cutoff, and the outside black. I was also thinking of leaving about 5mm or so of the foremost lip of the shroud the transparent graphite so the halo's would work a little better. Either that or the mini gatlings looks awesome.

I've been reading through this and it looks like I've found the answer, but it never hurts to ask, you know?

So the Morimoto Mini H1's fit in the hole in the reflector with no cutting? I'm really wanting some HID's and halo's. I see them everywhere and drool for a couple minutes.
I see that you can paint the cut off to add some color to the lens, but has anyone tried painting the inside of the shroud along with the cutoff? I was thinking of getting the mini graphites and painting the inside red along with the cutoff, and the outside black. I was also thinking of leaving about 5mm or so of the foremost lip of the shroud the transparent graphite so the halo's would work a little better. Either that or the mini gatlings looks awesome.

they require no cutting, although I found that taking a little off the back of the headlight, where the spring retaining clip is, made it easier to work with the nut for the projector. painting the cutoff will only add color when sunlight reflects in the headlight, unless you get advanced and add led's to light it up at night etc. but its a nice little mod. painting the inside of the shroud would not do anything for you...it would be a waste of paint because it is never seen or reflective etc.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but you never know until you ask. I'm probably still gonna paint the shrouds black. I can't wait to order them. I'll def post a pic when I'm done.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but you never know until you ask. I'm probably still gonna paint the shrouds black. I can't wait to order them. I'll def post a pic when I'm done.

yeah, you can still paint the shrouds whatever color you want. Mine are black as well. I was just sayin the inside of a shroud is pointless ha.

Latest posts

Back