Protege 5 rust

All I can say people is if you don't have rust try to maintain it b/c you're car will rust. This past weekend I did my part and filled all my fenders with grease to help preserve my car alittle longer.

I don't think so...

mcstark wrote:
"It's served me well, and we're looking at a Mazda for my wife's next car -- that's what manufacturer's want to hear. "

The rust has angered and dissapointed both myself and my wife. It really
is a good car...really reliable and no big bills. But any cost savings will be
negated by the cost of fixing the rust. If the body wasn't like this I would
buy another Mazda in a heartbeat. As it is we can't.

No, the company won't stand behind it and even though the new models look
nice and shiny but I can't help but think in 3-4 years all those people will start to see the bubbles.

For those who don't know the steel used on the P5's is zinc coated which is a rust inhibitor and works very well.

Are you having a laugh??? (evil)
Theres no way these cas are zinc coated. There was areas of my wheelwells I could scrape down to the bare metal with my fingernail!!!
The paint is very thin on the wheel arch lip, minimal effort required to remove it.
You'l lfind the best chip protection BEHIND the furry wheel well liner. Really tough rubbery stuff. Not much point putting it behind there IMO.... :mad:

mcstark wrote:
"It's served me well, and we're looking at a Mazda for my wife's next car -- that's what manufacturer's want to hear. "

The rust has angered and dissapointed both myself and my wife. It really
is a good car...really reliable and no big bills. But any cost savings will be
negated by the cost of fixing the rust. If the body wasn't like this I would
buy another Mazda in a heartbeat. As it is we can't.

No, the company won't stand behind it and even though the new models look
nice and shiny but I can't help but think in 3-4 years all those people will start to see the bubbles.

Yeah, that's why we're still looking while we save. I personally won't buy another new car as long as I live where we are. I'll pick up an older Audi/VW, etc that has a quality paint job. That, I think, is the biggest glaring flaw with the P5 - crappy paint.

Are you having a laugh??? (evil)
Theres no way these cas are zinc coated. There was areas of my wheelwells I could scrape down to the bare metal with my fingernail!!!
The paint is very thin on the wheel arch lip, minimal effort required to remove it.
You'l lfind the best chip protection BEHIND the furry wheel well liner. Really tough rubbery stuff. Not much point putting it behind there IMO.... :mad:
I'm pretty sure I'm right. The company I worked for back then stamped out the doors and fenders. I can promise you they were zinc coated. We annealed the coils and ran them through the line, then racked them onto the press for multiple hits. We did a lot of JDM work, especially for Honda. There are two different colors btw, silver and gold zinc for those who are unaware. They do the same thing, just different color.

My Mazda is a 2002 Red lil bucket of rust. I bought it in SW Ontario in May of 2002 new. From the jump it had problems, mainly brake related. I complained to Mazda. I supplied documentation. They denied all responsibility because I had the brakes repaired at a non Mazda dealer. Game over.
I mention this only because I have extremely low hopes of getting Mazda to do anything about the rust.The rear wheel wells have extensive bubbling and paint strips approx. 8" long by 4" wide have completely fallen off.
I took it to the best body shop in our area and the guy was AMAZED.
It was horrible and he could see it getting worse. New rear panels and work on the surrounding area would be needed, and he wouldn't guarantee anything because the metal was the worst he had seen.
His advice-do a cosmetic job on it and unload it quick.
Oh, did I mention I have only 40,000km or just over 24,000 miles on it.
I am pissed off to the nth degree. Any buyers??????

Don't you drive the car? for a 2002 that is some really low Km's.
I say fix it right and take care of the car by oil sraying the car every year. I mean the car is not even broken in yet, and a good body shop will give some sort of a warranty on the work.

My Mazda is a 2002 Red lil bucket of rust. I bought it in SW Ontario in May of 2002 new. From the jump it had problems, mainly brake related. I complained to Mazda. I supplied documentation. They denied all responsibility because I had the brakes repaired at a non Mazda dealer. Game over.
I mention this only because I have extremely low hopes of getting Mazda to do anything about the rust.The rear wheel wells have extensive bubbling and paint strips approx. 8" long by 4" wide have completely fallen off.
I took it to the best body shop in our area and the guy was AMAZED.
It was horrible and he could see it getting worse. New rear panels and work on the surrounding area would be needed, and he wouldn't guarantee anything because the metal was the worst he had seen.
His advice-do a cosmetic job on it and unload it quick.
Oh, did I mention I have only 40,000km or just over 24,000 miles on it.
I am pissed off to the nth degree. Any buyers??????

Don't you drive the car? for a 2002 that is some really low Km's.
I say fix it right and take care of the car by oil sraying the car every year. I mean the car is not even broken in yet, and a good body shop will give some sort of a warranty on the work.

To answer your question, I was injured at work and unable to drive at all for thirteen months, and I live about 3km (both ways) from where I work.Thus the ultra low mileage. In all honesty this car is a large pile of crap.
In 40,000km I've had to put on three sets of rotors and pads on the front and
this week put on the second set of rotors and pads on the rear.
Now it sounds like a strut on the front end is going.
Mazda has been in every respect totally unco-operative and the dealership just doesn't give a damn.
As for fixing the rust, the body shop I took it to will not guarantee any work on the car because they feel UNLESS I repace the whole rear quarter panels with new metal (on both sides) the problem is going to spread.
In his own words he said he really doesn't want to put his company's rep on the line for a repair of this complexity given the severity of the problem.
Interestingly the Mazda dealer won't touch it, can't or is unable to help price new panels or even recommend a course of action.
The advice to apply some cosmetic action (meaning mud and and paint) and unloading it to a dealer (because I sure as hell won't sell it to a friend) sounds real good from here.
To Mazda, ZOOM,ZOOM is the sound of their cars rusting.(eekfu)(eekfu)

looking and saving for sure

"To Mazda, ZOOM,ZOOM is the sound of their cars rusting"

For sure; when looking for my car I looked at the 2002-2004 Audi A4s. Do you
think those had ANY rust on them...nope. Interestingly the wheel wells on those has padding all on the inside and the outer edge comes to a lip (like a
car door edge). One can see how the wheel wells on those fight and stand
up to salt and rust.

Our P5 had the paint peeling off the wheels after 2 years ...Madza would not
replace/honor any warranty on this.

The P5 has been a great lesson in choosing a good vehicle design. For those
looking to keep a car more than 5 years I could only reccommend against them.

Hi, I had a 2002 Audi A4... they use galvanized steel for the Audi so design has nothing to do with it, it won't rust... there is quite a price difference between a Mazda Proteg and an Audi A4 and let me tell you that as much as I loved the car it wasn't as reliable as my P5. My P5 ain't no audi, and it has a little rust but won't leave me stranded as my A4 with 35,000 kms did twice - and this is a common problem on the A4's (ignition coils)...

I am starting to think that the warranty coverage depends on the dealer and if you don't get service, call Mazda. I am considering sending Mazda an email with this link so they can see the quantity of people that love their Mazda's but didn't get good service when it came to the warranty. It doesn't make sense that my dealer honors the warranty and others don't see it looks like a dealer issue... IMO.

I am pretty sure we all agree they are great little cars overall ! Vehicle design is one thing, mechanical reliability quite another... I choose reliability... plus the P5 looks good to boot !

reliable for sure..

Yes, I didn't mean to compare the Audi and P5 as a whole..I was simply
comparing the bodys.

I agree the Audis are not known for their reliability. The P5 has been the most
reliable car we've ever owned. That's kind of why I'm so upset with the body.

Reliability aside, perhaps buying an all galvanized body is the way to go if a
durable rust free body is important to me. With the P5, do we continue to
put money into it as the body rusts around us, knowing the it will keep going
but may no look nice?

As for calling Mazda USA, I have done that already...they said it must rust
through..even if you see rust that is only surface rust. When I called last and
said it is rusted through they said a stone must have hit the paint there (and
the hatch behind the emblem) and that with 80K miles it was not covered not
covered in any way. I was told the body is warrantied for 35K for anything.
After that it must rust all the way through (but they can always say it was
external damage)....ie the peforation warranty will not be honored.

I take the car in this week for a wheel bearing.. I call Mazda USA while its at
the dealer and see what they say... I have a feeling they will say that while
there is no paint left on the rust one can't put one's finger through it..therefore it is not preforated...

I thought rust like this was a thing left behind in the 1970s...who knew.

got little rust coming out from the door pillars and from the little drain hole on the hatch also some on my hood dampers and the fenders getting hit them=( And in Hawaii your surrounded by salt water! some stuff i plan to do is use some rust converter and grease areas that mostly collect water or moisture to stop anymore rust from appearing. Also maybe getting a electric rust guard.

I need to ask my dealer why they're agreeing to cover and how they will go about it because mine is only bubbled and they confirmed it will be covered by the rust warranty from Mazda. Quite confusing...

I have a 2002 Protege ES in the Family bought new.

The rust on it just disgusts me to the point where I will not look at another Mazda until I see newer models prove themselves. So far they haven't. I hear of Mazda 3 owners complaining. and tons of MPV vans out there have the exact problem. Im curious to know if the RX8's have the same problem, it would be funny to see a 6 year old sporty car rusting all over the place. You've gotta be in a region that uses salt to notice just how much these Mazdas of late rust. I am in Toronto

If you think back to the 80s and early 90s, all Japanese cars would rot right out before the engine quit. Now things have changed. You wont see much rust on a Honda or Toyota built in the last 10 years. Why? I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that they are doing something that Mazda IS NOT doing to fight corrosion.

I really hate to s*** on Mazda's so much because like other people state, they are otherwise great cars. But if you are like me and enjoy not seeing rust bubbles that pop like zits on your car, then you've gotta look elsewhere when shopping for that shiny hunk of steel.

I have some wheel well rust as well.
I sanded it down before winter, repainted it good and now its spring time and its back again!

I see a lot of rust problems on the proteges, especially the p5's .

When Im walking my dog and i come across a protege I make sure to look for any rust, and yep, a see rust around the wheel wells.

Too bad Mazdas rust so quickly, I really like the car, but it will be a rust bucket soon (headshake What a shame to see a nice car like that rusting away...

Last edited:
No wheel well rust, but, it is eating away the nose of my hood.

got little rust coming out from the door pillars and from the little drain hole on the hatch also some on my hood dampers and the fenders getting hit them=( And in Hawaii your surrounded by salt water! some stuff i plan to do is use some rust converter and grease areas that mostly collect water or moisture to stop anymore rust from appearing. Also maybe getting a electric rust guard.

Me too on the rust around the drain hole. :(

Back