Protege 5 rust

depends on the color and region...

what color is your car? the yellow p5s have a single stage paint and clearcoat, and are notorious for clearcoat failure.

i had some rust problems on both sides.... also an the doors on the driver side and the hood.....

here in germany many peoples have problems with rust.... but mazda germany repairs them in most of the times at their own expense....

i don`t know how they handle this in other countrys ?

darn mine came with the electronic rust proof thingy device. I gots no rust.

No rust anywhere but the under side of the car. Car came from living up north the first few years of its life. The only visible rust on the body of the car is on the front edges of the bumper

Tylor

I have bubbling paint on a section of the hood and hatch. The bottoms of my front doors too. I'm going to get it repainted this summer.

No matter how much I wash it, rust proofing, etc. it doesn't make a difference...

I have bubbling paint on a section of the hood and hatch. The bottoms of my front doors too. I'm going to get it repainted this summer.

No matter how much I wash it, rust proofing, etc. it doesn't make a difference...

The problem is, on the front doors, the seams were not made very well from the factory, so the moisture gets and rusts from the inside. You can keep repainting but you'll eventually need new doors...

I have acouple of pin spots... nothing big, but I'm in crappy weather 5-6 months out of the year and the salt kills it her.

I just try to keep up with her and do a full walk around her every now and then.

Mine is rusting a fair but on both rear 1/4 lip. Also some minor rust on the hatch rest is mint.

But keep in mine i live on the god damd sea and also the roads are white with salt here in the winter.

O what izzzz it? Aye am wanting of 1.

not exactly sure but it works. Had it on my 96 cavalier and no rust for the five years I had the car. Im sure u can google it. "electronic rust proofing" automobile. Or maybe I'm just lucky. Where I live the humidity is constantly above 60% and I'm surronded by the ocean. It pratically rains everyday.

you live in hawaii, you better not have any rust!

lol. Its not always sunny. Especially the side i live on "windward" it rains just about everyday. The wind comes off the ocean and hits the mountains. The warm moist air shoots up hits the cool air and causes rain and clouds. Now the other side of the island "leeward" is mostly sunny skies. every morning my car is covered with dew. Its so moist on this side u can smell it.

Google can find the electronic rust proofing device. Its not cheap. And according to wiki and my experience it does WORK.

Last edited:
depends on the color and region...

what color is your car? the yellow p5s have a single stage paint and clearcoat, and are notorious for clearcoat failure.

I live near Detroit. Lots of salt here. I spray it off the day after it gets salt on it.It's a 2002 mica black. I love this little b****, but she's letting me down with this rust problem. Does anyone know if it's worth spending some money on a good refinish job (on those areas)? I plan on keeping it for 2 more years. 74,000 miles on her and she still runs like new.

10% of the salt mined around the world each year ends up on roads in North America during the winter.

My 5 has rust on both sides along the wheel well lip. Car gets washed pretty often.

Part that really sucks is that since purchase in Oct. of 2002 - it has only been on a salted northern road for three years...hate to think of what it would look like if driven in PA all its life. My daily is a 2000 Uglyota - and it has zero rust. It has lived seven out of eight years in NE PA - go figure.

Do not worry - have heard horror stories about cars from the 50s and 60s. Some would already have rust holes through major body parts within two years - and we are talking about a thicker grade of sheet metal. Favorite one is about a guy whose family was on vacation in an early '60s Thunderbird. Heard a horrible noise and the car suddenly shut down. Looked in the rear view mirror to see the gas tank skating across the shoulder of the highway into the ditch - brackets had rusted off and tank fell off the car at 70 mph.

i have a 2003 with rust around the wheel wells and went to Mazda. Even though she's not perforated, they'll cover it because they know it's a problem. Look into it, I believe our rust warranty is 5 yrs.

Back