Project Cosmo 20B rebuild thread

Just a few quick pictures of my baby going away to Doctor Pip to be fixed, typical it has been garaged since she went pop which was 9+ months ago, due to me going to work at a time of the day when clubbers are only going home I had to pull her out of the garage the night before,, and guess what it threw it down with rain all night,, well I suppose it washed the dust of her

006-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Last edited:
went over to see Pip at WGT, as you can see quite a few rotarys parked outside for various bits of work

063.jpg

Nice series1, not sure what plans are on the cards for this one, it has been here a while but looks in really good shape
064.jpg

065.jpg

My baby parked up, as you can see suspension looks a lot higher without the 20b lump sat under the hood
067.jpg

A mighty 20b motor sat around looks a bit serious this one, didnt get a chance to ask Pip about this and what it is destined for
068.jpg

I saw this sat on a shelf I could not resist a quick snap
069.jpg

I promised you all an update on the discussion with Pip, well the plan has changed and it looks like it will be a staged build up on the mods performance wise,
to start with it will be run as a standard 20b until the engine break in period is over, the cosmo will not be out of WGT until next year I aim to run it next summer in standard form and then take it off the road back to WGT in the autumn, we are aiming for a piggyback ECU something like a unichip for now but the breaking news is that we are going to covert it to a manual gearbox, I got a price from Pip t0 do this conversion and it is quite reasonable.

The next phase will be a stand alone system and wiring loom which will be the following year and phase 3 will be a single turbo, I suspect this full conversion will be over the next 2- 3 years, this give me a chance to come up with a brake upgrade as the power levels increase I will need better brakes,, mind you all could be done a lot sooner with a lottery win

I have managed to get hold of a second hand DMRH intercooler pics to follow when it arrives, I have also sent the hard pipes and upper inlet manifold away to be polished and I am picking them up tomorrow so I will post some pictures of that as well. it will not be show quality but will tidy it up a lot in the engine compartment, I have also asked Pip to get the 20b motor painted as well before assembley so all in all it should tiday it up a lot.

Thats it for now more updates to follow soon

Last edited:
awesome pics frank,

manual is a great step forward, maximum control and driving pleasure. Look forward to more updates (drinks)

quick update on a few things, had the hard pipes and UIM polished, not show quality by any stretch of the imagination but I have to say they will clean the engine bay up a real treat, I painted in the 3 ROTOR lettering myself, how long it will last remains to be seen but looks ok for now.
002.jpg

001.jpg

I managed to get hold of a DMRH hi-flow intercooler,,, for those that don't know Dave Morris got these custom made for the Cosmo by a firm in Australia, I do not have the hard pipes that come with the kit so I will have to get some pipework made up with bends to ensure they fit with the standard hard pipes I have just had polished,, well that's the plan anyway, but not for a while as I will be using this in conjuction with the planned engine mods ,, a big thanks to Kev for selling it to me at a bargain price,, I gave it a bit of a polish up but it is in fantastic condition
006-3.jpg

005-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

Another big thanks must go out to Rotorzilla.

Tony, managed to get me the stop tail light relay that I have been struggling to get hold of for ages now, he also supplied me with a full batch of relays that are located under the steering column (in case another relay decides to give up the ghost I will have these sat around as spares)
I also purchased a tower strut bar brace from him that was advertised on his website which I will be fitting when the car returns.

I have not spoken to Pip at WGT since I collected the Hard Pipes and UIM from him in early December so I could get them polished,,, I am planning to drop these back to him sometime this week or early next week so I should get an update off him then
on when we should have the engine re-build completed.

more to follow soon(drinks)

Last edited:
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Just had the phone call from Pip at WGT that I have been waiting for
THE COSMO IS READY
I have arranged to collect it on Saturday, pictures and update to follow

well the Cosmo is home, I now have the task of running it in (breaking it in as our friends accross the water say)
It is a a real pain as you can rev it to 3-4k but NO BOOST which is hard work with an auto as the torque convertor brings the revs up and the revs bring the boost up, speed is not the problem it is getting up to speed that is !! you can cruise easily at 70mph with just over 2k revs but try and accelerate up to 70 with no BOOST
I say the Cosmo does 0-60 in about 20 seconds lol

150 miles done only 850 to go

013.jpg

No Jokes about the skip please !!!!

012.jpg

The Polished bits back where they should be, looks quite good under the hood now, a little more tidying up to do here and there but overall pretty good, I havea re-am strut brace to fit which I will be doing in the next week or so.

011-1.jpg

010.jpg

I have a video of the Cosmo idiling which I will be posting up shortly, looks and sounds quite good if I do sat so myself

Last edited:
awesome frank, will you be going to any shows / meets this summer?

Thanks, I will definately try to get to Rotorstock this year in August
not too many shows over my way, I will see whats on and see what I can get to

I see you are in a skyline now,, you will have to change your forum name lol

haha yeh iv still got a mazda or 2 tho ! Rotorstock should be good im gona try to arrange a group drive from london.

hows the cosmo running in? what happened to you manual conversion plans?

haha yeh iv still got a mazda or 2 tho ! Rotorstock should be good im gona try to arrange a group drive from london.

hows the cosmo running in? what happened to you manual conversion plans?

Cosmo running in will be a slow process,, Manual Gearbox will be done after this summer, I want to use it this year and take it off the road for the gearbox job in September, and possibly if funds allow the ECU as well,, all down to money how quick it will all get done as I also want to change the wheels and fit that bodykit I got from you,, which needs to be painted Red

after 15 months with no Cosmo I do want to use it a bit this year

Last edited:
Well done on going to the effort of doing the rebuild after the previous bad luck. Car looks great on utube vid, very tidy. Did you install the intercooler seeing you have kept the stock ecu in till later.
Darryl

Well done on going to the effort of doing the rebuild after the previous bad luck. Car looks great on utube vid, very tidy. Did you install the intercooler seeing you have kept the stock ecu in till later.
Darryl

Thanks Darryl,

No I have not changed the intercooler yet I am going to leave that until after the gearbox has been done and do it at the same time as the ECU job, I am just gathering the bits as they come along as I am sure when I want them I wont find one cheap anywhere.

I got a cracking deal on the intercooler 50, about $100 NZD could not pass that up as it is in really good condition as well

That is a great deal. Would you mind posting the dimensions of the core as well as the overall including tanks. Is it still 2 1/2 inch piping. How is the running in going, have you had to fit a snow plough to the front of the car with that great winter you boys are having up there.
Darryl

That is a great deal. Would you mind posting the dimensions of the core as well as the overall including tanks. Is it still 2 1/2 inch piping. How is the running in going, have you had to fit a snow plough to the front of the car with that great winter you boys are having up there.
Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I will do that for you, if you have a look on DMRH web site under my cosmo it does have a little more spec on it and a few pictures, it is the same size tubing and all the mounts and bracket mounts are based on the OEM so it is a straight bolt in swap.

Iwill be honest I have not been out in the cosmo since I got her home, I decidd to put it back on the road 1st March seeing as the weather is so crap, it is all the salt on the roads that I am avoiding, it has given me a chance to do some detailing ready for the season
I fitted the strut brace so I am interested to see what difference if any that makes.

I have been to see the guy at the body shop about painting the remainder of the Mazdaspeed kit prior to fitting, People have got mixed feelings about the kit, but I really want the side skirts on as it has the illuminated kit and I think it looks really cool, it has to be colour coded to the body though as without that it does look like a bolt on afterthought and not as good.

I have also been lookng at 19" alloys and I think I have decided on which ones I want, similar to what are on now a 5 spoke with a chromed rim, I may take a run over to the shop soon to see what offset will fit best rather than buying on line and not being happy or finding out they rub.

decisions decisions

Darryl,
dimensions of the intercooler are as follows
CORE
40cm wide
30cm high
8cm deep
TANKS
5-8cm wide (tapered)
30cm high
8cm deep

hope that helps
Frank

Darryl

Cheers for that Frank, will start to keep an eye out for similar dimensioned cooler. What does your rotary guru who did your rebuild recommend in oil. Is he in the mineral team or synthetic.
Darryl

Cheers for that Frank, will start to keep an eye out for similar dimensioned cooler. What does your rotary guru who did your rebuild recommend in oil. Is he in the mineral team or synthetic.
Darryl

Darryl
definately mineral, used to be Castrol GTX but they seem to have stopped making it so this time he put in Shell Helix 15/40, he also sits on the fence when it comes to running on 2 stroke mix, he neither reccomends it or discounts it, he said for street use there is no benefit but if you were racing then there could be some benefit.
Havin run 2 stroke motorcycles in my youth the one thing that puts me off is fouling the plugs, as lets face it they aint the easiest things to whip out every other week in fact they are a real pain in the a**e to get out,
I have to say Pip @ WGT seems to set the engine oiling up really well as on 1st start after sitting around she always bellows out a lot of smoke as if the rotor chambers are well lubricated which lets face it is the reason why people run them with a pre-mix as to protect the housings and seals when the engine is first fired up.

I would be interested to hear other peoples thought on the great 2 stroke debate and if they use it, why?, and what benefits if any have they experienced?

Back