Power steering flush - is it needed?

55V8

:
2008 CX-9 GT AWD, 2005 Mercedes Benz C55 AMG
I have a 2008 CX-9 GT AWD. Manual states to only inspect always. Is the power steering fluid for the life of the vehicle then?

I'm just wondering if any of you have done this. If yes, at what interval or mileage?

Don't flush. You can just get a turkey baster and suck out as much as you can, then refill. Repeat again after a short drive just to circulate through the system. I do it every 30k.

Is there any reason that you want to replace the steering fluid?
Usually there is no need to do that.

Because I just bought this vehicle used and I just want to flush out all the fluids.

What should the color of the power steering fluid be if it's still okay? Mine is reddish dark brown.

Also, what's the right brand/type of fluid to use?

Check the manual for type, not sure. And yes, you should replace it, fluid over time absorbs moisture and other particles. Its cheap and easy maintenance.

If it is turning black you may want to replace it. Just remove as mentioned and use a good Synthetic ATF fluid, Such as Mobil 1, Penstosin ATF or something.

My dealer just recommended power steering flush and brake fluid flush. It's surprising because the manual only says inspect and the car is only 38K++ miles. Do they really needed? I'm not seeing any conclusive comment in this thread. Thanks for your advise.

Power steering fluid from the manual:

ATF M-III, M-V, or equivalent (e.g. Dexron II)

From my experience it does get "old". I just changed out a quart in my jeep and the steering went from being really tight to nice and easy and more responsive. Worn out fluid in my experience is most noticed when it is hot outside.

Any recommendation on the interval?
I assumed that you meant only change, i.e. suck the existing fluid and refill with the new one, instead of flush? Thanks.

Power steering fluid from the manual:

ATF M-III, M-V, or equivalent (e.g. Dexron II)

From my experience it does get "old". I just changed out a quart in my jeep and the steering went from being really tight to nice and easy and more responsive. Worn out fluid in my experience is most noticed when it is hot outside.

Just like transmission fluid, brake fluid and steering fluid do not need scheduled replacement.
You replace them when needed. That is what Mazda recommend.
That said, you can do whatever you want. It is your money and your CX9.
Strike a $$$ balance that works for you.

Any recommendation on the interval?
I assumed that you meant only change, i.e. suck the existing fluid and refill with the new one, instead of flush? Thanks.

With normal wear and tear I'd say the PS fluid should go well into the 70K range. I haven't seen or felt the need to change any out yet in our CX9. It has about 75K on it.

Sorry for reviving this thread; is there a procedure posted somewhere if I need to fully change my power steering fluid? In my case the power steering fluid looks really dark.

It is a 'good' thing to do, but 99.9% of people NEVER flush the fluid and never have problems for as long as they have their car. Unless you already have problems you will not notice a difference, I am somewhat of a maintenance ***** and I don't even flush my PS fluid.

But if you really want to just lift the car, remove the return hose on the steering rack and turn the wheels back and forth until all the fluid runs out, reattach the hose and fill the system back up, then turn the wheels back and forth again for a bit to bleed it.

Last edited:
easier way is to get a turkey baster, suck as much out of the reservoir as you can, then refill. drive the car down the block, and turn lock to lock a couple times, then repeat. you'll get a decent changeout that way.

Back