Lubricant Additives

RonK

2021 CX-9 GT
Ok, just picked up my relatively new 2021 CX-9 GT and in the process of putting in new cabin filter, engine filter, wipers, and here's my question: Can I use LucasOil Upper Cylinder Lubricant as well as Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer? I have always used these in the past with very good results. But was wondering if anyone else could verify the effectiveness of these additives and/or any reasons why they would not be beneficial with this particular model. I have also used Lucas Rack&Pinion(Power Steering) oil which helps condition seals. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm sure you could use them, but they're not really necessary and there's no way to verify that they're doing anything, at least without taking the engine apart before and after to compare.

I would not bother but it's probably not going to hurt anything. I've used Lucas, Techron, and Redline fuel additives/cleaners, typically twice a year, without any issues.

You are better off using a good quality oil and changing it every 5K miles. I'd also use a top tier gas (Shell, BP, Exxon) rather than additives. Also worth mentioning,

Modern engines have very tight bearing tolerances, and your car is practically brand new compared to something like a 72 Chevy Malibu. Those tolerances is why the engineers who designed the engine specified thin 0W-20 oil instead of the old heavy 10W-40 that Malibu wants. Besides the weight, the additive packages in modern oils is light years ahead of what was available even just 15 years ago.

There is absolutely no need for any oil additives in our cars whatsoever. That said, yeah, you need it for your classic Chevy!

Modern engines have very tight bearing tolerances, and your car is practically brand new compared to something like a 72 Chevy Malibu. Those tolerances is why the engineers who designed the engine specified thin 0W-20 oil instead of the old heavy 10W-40 that Malibu wants. Besides the weight, the additive packages in modern oils is light years ahead of what was available even just 15 years ago.

There is absolutely no need for any oil additives in our cars whatsoever. That said, yeah, you need it for your classic Chevy!
Yeah, but it was my classic Mustang...NOT Chevy...:)

I would not bother but it's probably not going to hurt anything. I've used Lucas, Techron, and Redline fuel additives/cleaners, typically twice a year, without any issues.

You are better off using a good quality oil and changing it every 5K miles. I'd also use a top tier gas (Shell, BP, Exxon) rather than additives. Also worth mentioning,
Yep, I also used Redline "Water Wetter" in the radiator for my Mustang.

Ron, nothing you list does anything except lighten your wallet. As bloom says, the so-called oil stabilizer (has anyone ever seen unstable oil?) mainly just thickens oil, and as he says, the clearances in the engine require the oil viscosity the engineers designed the engine for, 5W-30 in our 2.5L turbocharged engines. (Clearances are the space designed for lube to flow. Tolerances are allowable error.) There is no need for upper cylinder lubricant.* Water Wetter is great to reduce the surface tension of water (so it wets better) in race engines that don't allow slippery antifreeze that can leak onto the track. All antifreeze-coolants already contain just the right amount of surfactant to reduce surface tension.

If you want better oil, buy better oil. None of us can home-brew oil better than the oil company chemists can make to meet a price point. Red Line oil might be better than Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Edge...or maybe just equally excellent.

*I used to operate and maintain big diesel engines. We used an upper cylinder lubricant, a 50 wt oil of very high alkalinity injected directly into the sides of the liners. Of course, we were using heavy black fuel oil with 3% sulfur in that 57,500 hp engine (straight 12 2-stroke, 95 rpm red line) and consumed about a ton a day of this lube oil (the crankcase has 30 wt oil). Our car engines are different. No need for upper cylinder oil. I've put over 200,000 miles on a couple of cars with no significant cylinder or ring wear and no upper cylinder lube added.

Ron, nothing you list does anything except lighten your wallet. As bloom says, the so-called oil stabilizer (has anyone ever seen unstable oil?) mainly just thickens oil, and as he says, the clearances in the engine require the oil viscosity the engineers designed the engine for, 5W-30 in our 2.5L turbocharged engines. (Clearances are the space designed for lube to flow. Tolerances are allowable error.) There is no need for upper cylinder lubricant.* Water Wetter is great to reduce the surface tension of water (so it wets better) in race engines that don't allow slippery antifreeze that can leak onto the track. All antifreeze-coolants already contain just the right amount of surfactant to reduce surface tension.

If you want better oil, buy better oil. None of us can home-brew oil better than the oil company chemists can make to meet a price point. Red Line oil might be better than Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Edge...or maybe just equally excellent.

*I used to operate and maintain big diesel engines. We used an upper cylinder lubricant, a 50 wt oil of very high alkalinity injected directly into the sides of the liners. Of course, we were using heavy black fuel oil with 3% sulfur in that 57,500 hp engine (straight 12 2-stroke, 95 rpm red line) and consumed about a ton a day of this lube oil (the crankcase has 30 wt oil). Our car engines are different. No need for upper cylinder oil. I've put over 200,000 miles on a couple of cars with no significant cylinder or ring wear and no upper cylinder lube added.
And darn it, I just ordered four gallons of the UCL. Well, as long as it cannot do damage then I guess I lightened my wallet.

Back