Power problems ...

manofmacg3

mmmmmm.... protege
:
2010 MS3
I've been having ongoing issues and it is time to get to the bottom of it.

I've been experiencing what feels like a loss of power when accelerating. I'll be accelerating like normal and out of no where the car feels like it losses all power and no matter how far I push the pedal down, nothing happens. This happens in all gears, more noticeably 3rd and 5th. And then out of no where it'll surge and I'll have power back. After the car runs for a good 20-30 the problem seems to be less frequent.

The car through a CEL about 6 months ago and again today in reference to the a faulty MAF. I have cleaned it about a month ago, no change.

Currently that alone tells me that my MAF is going bad or is bad, but there is another bit to this.... I'm burning through 2 quarts of oil every 2500 miles or so. I am clueless as to where it is going, there are no leaks, no oil in my radiator and no more carbon built up than usual in my exhaust.

I know a bad MAF can do some crazy things, but would it cause me to burn through oil like this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
You should have the coil packs checked too. If the CEL comes on and blinks then more then likely it's the coil or coils that are bad. My car did the same thing I changed the coil packs, spark plugs and wires and I have been running great. Also just to let ya know man I am burning oil like crazy. I did a compression test to see if the piston rings were bad and I found they were great and that the valve seals are bad. So I am burning oil like crazy and theres nothing that I can do until the new head comes in. I hope this helps you man that way u can check everything let me know if I can help. I've had a great run with the MP3...170K in the dash...I've dealt with a lot from the car.

You should have the coil packs checked too. If the CEL comes on and blinks then more then likely it's the coil or coils that are bad. My car did the same thing I changed the coil packs, spark plugs and wires and I have been running great. Also just to let ya know man I am burning oil like crazy. I did a compression test to see if the piston rings were bad and I found they were great and that the valve seals are bad. So I am burning oil like crazy and theres nothing that I can do until the new head comes in. I hope this helps you man that way u can check everything let me know if I can help. I've had a great run with the MP3...170K in the dash...I've dealt with a lot from the car.

I've only had a CEL twice and it stayed on... had to have the guys at Advance auto clear it. And both times it was the MAF.

I really hope its not my valve seals... I really do.

Oh well, I'll be leaving it with a guy at a local shop and we'll see where it goes. Hell, I've only got 94000 miles on it. Its a bit early I'd think for it to be burning oil.

And I checked my PCV earlier, its good.

I've only had a CEL twice and it stayed on... had to have the guys at Advance auto clear it. And both times it was the MAF.

I really hope its not my valve seals... I really do.

Oh well, I'll be leaving it with a guy at a local shop and we'll see where it goes. Hell, I've only got 94000 miles on it. Its a bit early I'd think for it to be burning oil.

And I checked my PCV earlier, its good.

I agree with you it should not be burning oil that bad with only 94K. I think that you will see a difference once you change the PCV.

one of the best unorthodox ways to diagnose a bad mass air flow sensor is to eliminate it
with the vehicle off disconect the sensor. the vehicle will start and stall and on the second attempt should start up and run better than it had b4

doing this will cause the vehicle to go into a back up strategy and if indeeed it was the sensor going bad, the vehicle will run better
but if the problem lies else where in the circuit the vehicle will run the same

and should set a different DTC
Looking at the DTC you have and understanding what the vehicle had to see so set that DTC helps alot when diagnosing a vehicle

the DTC was P1170

I have a feeling I may have a 2 part problem, but again we'll see once I get it to the shop.

Just double checked my PCV, it is questionable. Its not closing completely, but it is working for the most part. My big indicator is the oil up inside the vacuum lines going to the intake manifold.... thing i just solved my own problem.

I'll be trying to pick up a new PCV tomorrow morning.

Just double checked my PCV, it is questionable. Its not closing completely, but it is working for the most part. My big indicator is the oil up inside the vacuum lines going to the intake manifold.... thing i just solved my own problem.

I'll be trying to pick up a new PCV tomorrow morning.

You should install an oil catch can between the PCV and the IM if you don't already have one

2 quarts of oil is a sign of a serious problem...you could have some bad rings...time to take it to a professional and get the problem correctly diagnosed!

Got car back from shop the other and my I was on the right track at least. I just now have it confirmed. My MAF was going crazy according to the shop, so I have a new one on order.

The oil consumption is going to be chalked up to the fact my oil is synthetic, and my PCV is old. A new PCV is on its way too. I'll also be switching from 5w30 to 10w30 and see if that helps.

The engine checked out fine. Plugs were clean and all cylinders had excellent compression. No oil in radiator, etc.

Back