posted this on clubprotege with no repsonses

Green2000~ES

:
2000 Mazda Protege ES
so I thought I'd try here....

Replacing Blown Engine ~ Should I modify the replacement?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2000 ES 1.8L auto, the engine isn't really blown, just f'd up a piston when it sucked up water through the CAI Don't ask!!! anyways, the car has 90k miles on it and I found 3 2000 1.8L engines for good prices with under 40k on them. Was thinking of just running a few checks flushing the oil system and the cooling system, making sure everything seems ok, then dropping it in the car. (2 of the places will let me see it run before I purchase) also I found 2 decent 2.0Ls

so my questions are:
are there any worth while machine shop mods to make? porting? polishing? valve job?
any good cams?
timing gears?
any other ideas?

thanks guys.

Yesterday, 11:34 PM #2
Green2000~ES

Green2000~ES is Online:
Posts: 2 Another thing... I need the passenger side upper motor mount, and I'm sure others. whats the best motor mount to replace it with? there seems to be a few opions on here.... I'm thinking of replacing all of them at once..

also wanting to add a header and maybe an exhaust system.. any sugestions?

if your replacing your motor mounts go with the AWR Racing mounts. Anyway i say stick with the 1.8L engine cause its in the middle of the 2 other engines and in most people opinion it is the stronger than the 2.0 and has more power output potential than the 1.6 and mostly all parts that fit the 2.0 fit the 1.8 :) but u decide

Well I'm picking up a 2001 Protege 2.0L that has 24,000 miles on it. In excelent shape, $850 and the best part is its only 20 miles from my house. The two lower mileage 1.8Ls are 250+ miles from me. so this one won out in the end. I'll be posting pics of everything soon...

you may need a different engine control computer/ignition system to control the 2.0 versus the 1.8

yeah that whole idea got scrapped today at the yard. I bought a higher milaged 2000 1.8 instead. direct swap less wories... I'm gonna clean it up some before I throw it in the car though.

Any performance mods I can do myself before putting it in?

So if you guys are saying that 2.0 parts will fit on 1.8's. What parts are you talking about exactly?

I know that the headers for the 2.0 will fit the 1.8. Thats a future step for me.. especially now that I got a good look at the stock manifold :( it sucks LOL and what the h3ll is the canister collector thing below it? LOL

Iwas told the intake is enterchangable too but not 100% sure

the 1.8 and 2.0 are physically almost identical - manifolds will bolt up, intakes will swap, headers will swap, crank pulleys will swap, turbo kits will even swap. the primary difference is the stroke of the motor. the 1.8 has a higher redline thanks to a shorter internal stroke IIRC.

So would an exhaust for a 2.0 fit my 1.8 then? Otherwise thats great, because it can be hard to find parts for the 1.8 sometimes.

Bartron8000 said:
So would an exhaust for a 2.0 fit my 1.8 then? Otherwise thats great, because it can be hard to find parts for the 1.8 sometimes.

yes it will, be sure to PM me on some of these parts

well this is about how far I am tonight... its slow going but getting there. I get the other engine tomorrow and a cherry picker also...

90.jpg

oops this pic didnt resize heheh http://www.msprotege.com/members/Green2000~ES/swap-pics/91.jpg

is this the cat? or what?
84.jpg
85.jpg

the factory exhaust manifold is fugly
88.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so I put a jack unde rthe trans and a jack under the engine... unbolted them and pulled the engine off the drive shaft... leveled everything out the best I could... started pushing the engine back into polace, barely turning the crank each time.. FINALLY it went together and I coukld still turn the crank... hooked everything back up... It fired on the first try..

only problem now is the heat shield dust plate is rubbing a little bit so you get an annoying chirping noise.. but even thats wearing away to nothing the more I run it.. soo.. anyways... I'm happy now!!!

Captain KRM P5 said:
the 1.8 and 2.0 are physically almost identical - manifolds will bolt up, intakes will swap, headers will swap, crank pulleys will swap, turbo kits will even swap. the primary difference is the stroke of the motor. the 1.8 has a higher redline thanks to a shorter internal stroke IIRC.

I thought they both redline at 6500rpm?

Back