Post pics of your Mazda5

garage_vehicle-3885-13503987351_thumb.jpg

Here is my Mazda 5. Nothing special. Just tinted the windows, RX-8 Rims painted black and a Kenwood DNX-6180 GPS/DVD with a rear camera, Amp and some woofers in the back. Just bought my wife a Toyota Sienna and kept this one for myself. I always loved the Premacy from my days in Japan. Im Looking to drop it next with a nice coilover kit. Any suggestions on a coilover kit??? Or a way to go to drop it for cheaper with Springs?? Im a newbie to dropping cars. This would be my first. What will I need??? Im also looking to get the fog light kit installed too. Thanks Yall!!

I have the BC coilovers- they can be had for a little under $1000 depending on where you get them from. If you're going to drop with just springs, make sure you add on the cost of new shocks- because the higher rate springs will likely kill your rear shocks faster than normal (if they're not dead already).

garage_vehicle-3885-13503987351_thumb.jpg

Here is my Mazda 5. Nothing special. Just tinted the windows, RX-8 Rims painted black and a Kenwood DNX-6180 GPS/DVD with a rear camera, Amp and some woofers in the back. Just bought my wife a Toyota Sienna and kept this one for myself. I always loved the Premacy from my days in Japan. Im Looking to drop it next with a nice coilover kit. Any suggestions on a coilover kit??? Or a way to go to drop it for cheaper with Springs?? Im a newbie to dropping cars. This would be my first. What will I need??? Im also looking to get the fog light kit installed too. Thanks Yall!!
have a bigger pic car looks cool

http://www.ohdamn.co/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/IMG_8356.jpg
took the car to formula d last weekend

I have the BC coilovers- they can be had for a little under $1000 depending on where you get them from. If you're going to drop with just springs, make sure you add on the cost of new shocks- because the higher rate springs will likely kill your rear shocks faster than normal (if they're not dead already).

I was thinking of this coilover set. What's your thoughts? Link below
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190687437512&index=12&nav=SEARCH&nid=55853427566

I don't know anything about CX Racing, but honestly- practically all "coilovers" in that price range use generic shock cartridges and then just build hard points around them for different cars- so there's no way to really know about the consistency of damping within the shock setup... but it'll probably be just fine for a street only car. It looks like you're getting sway bar links and maybe rear camber arms as part of the package too? If so, that's a really good deal if all the parts bolt up properly!

I don't know anything about CX Racing, but honestly- practically all "coilovers" in that price range use generic shock cartridges and then just build hard points around them for different cars- so there's no way to really know about the consistency of damping within the shock setup... but it'll probably be just fine for a street only car. It looks like you're getting sway bar links and maybe rear camber arms as part of the package too? If so, that's a really good deal if all the parts bolt up properly!

Thanks bro.....It is a good price and it is for a street only car. I'm curious as to what the spring rate is.

So the Spring rate is 12&6...is that decent? Sorry I'm a newb.

Depends. So 12/6 is 12kg/mm front, 6kg/mm rear. 1kg/mm = about 56lb/in, so 12/6 = 672/336. They basically just cranked the spring rates through the roof and didn't bother to change the balance any. If you like the balance of the car now and just want stiffer/lower suspension, these will work fine. To me, the front is a bit too stiff, and the rear is too soft. My BC coilovers are 8/7 front/rear- my rear rate is a lot stiffer compared to the front than this CX Racing set. Even with the higher rear rates and the monster sway bar I added in the rear PLUS my aggressive alignment, the 5 still understeers a bit- but it's much improved vs stock. Given how stiff your front springs are, your ride may feel a bit unbalanced, but if the shocks are matched up to the springs (I'm sure you'll be able to adjust them to the right setting) then you'll still have a good ride. You might want to ask the seller what all the extra parts are- the black cylindrical things on the very right side in the first two pictures have me a bit puzzled.

FYI- you generally make the rear suspension on a car stiffer in proportion to the front to get it to turn better / more responsively. All car manufacturers tune their street car suspensions to understeer so that the car buyer won't get into trouble as easily. Since the 5 is essentially a family car, you have to mess with the factory balance a LOT to get it to dance more easily when you smack the steering wheel around. A LOT.

Depends. So 12/6 is 12kg/mm front, 6kg/mm rear. 1kg/mm = about 56lb/in, so 12/6 = 672/336. They basically just cranked the spring rates through the roof and didn't bother to change the balance any. If you like the balance of the car now and just want stiffer/lower suspension, these will work fine. To me, the front is a bit too stiff, and the rear is too soft. My BC coilovers are 8/7 front/rear- my rear rate is a lot stiffer compared to the front than this CX Racing set. Even with the higher rear rates and the monster sway bar I added in the rear PLUS my aggressive alignment, the 5 still understeers a bit- but it's much improved vs stock. Given how stiff your front springs are, your ride may feel a bit unbalanced, but if the shocks are matched up to the springs (I'm sure you'll be able to adjust them to the right setting) then you'll still have a good ride. You might want to ask the seller what all the extra parts are- the black cylindrical things on the very right side in the first two pictures have me a bit puzzled.

FYI- you generally make the rear suspension on a car stiffer in proportion to the front to get it to turn better / more responsively. All car manufacturers tune their street car suspensions to understeer so that the car buyer won't get into trouble as easily. Since the 5 is essentially a family car, you have to mess with the factory balance a LOT to get it to dance more easily when you smack the steering wheel around. A LOT.

Thanks Buddah. I actually ended up going with a set of Yellow Speed Competition coils from a guy on here for only $100 more which is a great deal. The Spring rates for those are 10k/8K. More in proportion than the CX Racing ones. How does that sound?

Here is the pic Phunky
img20120729191053.jpg
[/IMG]

Again Spring Rates are 10K/8K.

Here's the Mazda5 next to the still non-running Colt Vista. Just cleaned out the garage a bit. Once the IRS gets me my check for a few thousand dollars from 2 years ago the Colt will be running and will be my little project car. :D

IMG_2742.jpg

The second pic is me having just cleaned the wheels literally with a toothbrush. Those little triangle openings are a b*tch to get cleaned. Might invest in a mother's power cone. Anywho... this is the still stock Mazda5. Not much will be done to her since she is the DD. Maybe a lowered stance will be all. That is some hella wheel gap.

IMG_2748.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    704.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG
    794.4 KB · Views: 159
Thanks Buddah. I actually ended up going with a set of Yellow Speed Competition coils from a guy on here for only $100 more which is a great deal. The Spring rates for those are 10k/8K. More in proportion than the CX Racing ones. How does that sound?

Yup, I saw those- so you bought the set that was on sale here on the forum. :) Those should be pretty good!

Here's the Mazda5 next to the still non-running Colt Vista. Just cleaned out the garage a bit. Once the IRS gets me my check for a few thousand dollars from 2 years ago the Colt will be running and will be my little project car. :D

The second pic is me having just cleaned the wheels literally with a toothbrush. Those little triangle openings are a b*tch to get cleaned. Might invest in a mother's power cone. Anywho... this is the still stock Mazda5. Not much will be done to her since she is the DD. Maybe a lowered stance will be all. That is some hella wheel gap.

Yeah, pain to clean! I had to get in there with a towel and just wipe out the dust/dirt. No fun.

For lowering, if you just want to go with springs and not anything else (and bounce on the crappy blown out rears that most have) then the H&R Sports are pretty much perfect!

i have a brush with really long bristles that gets in the small parts of the wheels.

also, when you get tires, get 215/50's and it will help fill out the wheel wells better as well.

Back