Please help me with these CEL Codes guys!!!

well I went out today and got a new primary 02 sensor seeing as thats the one that would cause the drivability issue. I will throw it in tommorrow and get back to you guys at night. Hopefully that clears my p0171 code. If it doesnt work any suggestions on where to look next?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a bad O2 sensor. And your MP3 has VICS, but no VTCS so you're throwing a code cuz you haven't done the CEL fix yet. I sent you the pins, all you need is 1 solenoid for VTCS to hook the wires up to and the MSP ECU will be happy.

hey man, yea i know I been lazy and overall as you know I havent been able to correct my cars driving issue since the turbo install. Ive made progress and had some really good tunes and a/f ratio's but overall no matter what the car runs slugish as s*** or sometimes pulls a lil better but will jerk and hesitate entering boost. Ive spent alot between dyno time, colder plugs, ect. and after hearing that the car will always run like crap till I clear these codes, Im going this route. As far as the vtcs fix goes it is next on my list my next day off. (i only get 1 a week) What sort of solenoid do I need. Any part #? I will look up the thread on here for the install info. And yes I did get the wires thanks for that too bro! As I asked boostr, if the primary 02 sensor change dont fix it tommorrow, any other idea why I might be throwing these 2 codes (p0171 & p0140)?

I'm certain that its for the 2nd code as I get if often enough lately. Depending on the mileage on your 2nd O2, yes it will go away. I have 81.8K on mine and it pops up randomly yet clears itself within 30 miles of less. Like you I am catless so I'm not to worried about just yet. My car still runs strong.

Do you know if your MSP pcm is flashed or unflashed? -18Hg is still within acceptable range and might just be a gauge issue? -16 or lower would suggest and issue to me at idle.

Whatever is triggering your p0171 is most likely causing your driveability issues imo.

Straight forward info as usuall, thanks dude. As far as I know the dude I bought it from says the ecu was reflashed. I have like 125k on my car and have only been boosted for the past 3500k or so. I know the cat elimination isnt the prob cuz I just did that recently. But i will be reinstalling the non fouler as well as my new primary 02 sensor tommorrow. Hopefully it eliminates the problem. Gotta admit I'd be shocked if all the sluggishnish and hesitation was caused by a bad 02. My intercooler pipes did pop off the hot side a bunch of times on the dyno though as well as after the initial install so maybe that has something to do with it goin bad.

gotta also change the info in the very first post of this thread as kraziefox informed me I have vics but no vtcs. So make that 1 code down 3 to go guys! OR......If I were throwing a code for the vics, what would it mean...whats bad and what needs to be replaced??

One thing I can highly recommend for anyone serious about driving/tuning is the OT-2 from innovate motorsports. It's a little wifi box that plugs into the ODB-II port and connects to either an itouch/iphone or laptop. With it you can monitor all of your cars sensors to help the troubleshooting process. I know for me, I used it to determine that my O2 sensor was not outputting the proper voltage range and needed to replace it on my P5, and since its portable I can switch it between vehicles as necessary, so on my MSP was able to narrow down a problem with my A/F as at idle it was pulling far more air as it should. It has a few more features than just that, but it does let you read your engine codes and clear them right from the car which is handy. (for me at least)

I hate guessing so for me this is an awesome tool that tells me exactly what I want to know and gives me hard data to work with, especially when trying to figure out hard/obscure codes like the P0300 for random cylinder misfire. At $179 it's not dirt cheap, but is about what you'd pay for a good automotive WDS and has more options.

AS an update I threw the new o2 sensor in today and noticed that the car feels nice and smooth BUT, beofre i threw it in I put the stock supermap back on as we all know runs really rich so when I give it to much gas it bogs and jerks hard. Im hoping its cuz it running really rich, im gonna lean it out a lil tommorrow and hope for the best. Overall i noticed a difference for sure but weather or not I can tune out the fuel tommorrow and finally make some giddy up...wont know till tommorrow.

One thing I can highly recommend for anyone serious about driving/tuning is the OT-2 from innovate motorsports. It's a little wifi box that plugs into the ODB-II port and connects to either an itouch/iphone or laptop. With it you can monitor all of your cars sensors to help the troubleshooting process. I know for me, I used it to determine that my O2 sensor was not outputting the proper voltage range and needed to replace it on my P5, and since its portable I can switch it between vehicles as necessary, so on my MSP was able to narrow down a problem with my A/F as at idle it was pulling far more air as it should. It has a few more features than just that, but it does let you read your engine codes and clear them right from the car which is handy. (for me at least)

I hate guessing so for me this is an awesome tool that tells me exactly what I want to know and gives me hard data to work with, especially when trying to figure out hard/obscure codes like the P0300 for random cylinder misfire. At $179 it's not dirt cheap, but is about what you'd pay for a good automotive WDS and has more options.

thanks for the info, just looked it up on ebay....sounds interesting! can I clear codes with it?

Yes, you can clear codes, it has a poor mans dyno, fuel economy tracker, you can record sensors for any length of time and then email them for further analysis on a PC, and ties in with all the other Innovate devices if you go that route. (I have mine chained with the LC-1 A/F and a pair of XD-16 gauges)

If the car is running really rich then you're probably running into fuel cut. Once the MAF detects too much air entering the system you'll run into that. The MAF measures air in g/s, I don't recall the threshold but if you just drop 440cc injectors without tuning it'll do that to you too.

With regard to your P0171 code, please check something for me. Start your car and leave it idling. Open your hood and blip the throttle by hand. Please try to listen for a hissing noise by your intake manifold. Let me know if you hear it or not.

Last edited:
With regard to your P0171 code, please check something for me. Start your car and leave it idling. Open your hood and blip the throttle by hand. Please try to listen for a hissing noise by your intake manifold. Let me know if you hear it or not.

nothing out of the ordinary...the akoustiks from my intake are kinda loud and deep so between that and the engine sound itself I dont hear any hissing

UPDATDE, after installing the new o2 sensor (primary) it does run alot smoother but I still have a problem. The car is just a b**** to tune right. I will run rich as s*** then draw 1 single point of fuel from within the proper range of course and it will hit to lean at wot. Not sure if installing the new o2 or non fouler cleared any codes or not but im sure at least 1 of the 4 are gone. I plan to check it out monday on my day off. Till then I have also ordered a used oem maf from someone on ebay and hope that will smooth out the a/f ratios. Something came to me the other night as i remembered when i first did the turbo install i not only used brake cleaner on the maf to clean it but i put a bum bov on it with no bpv so under boost with the maf relocated it had no way to release the pressure and my pipes kept blowin apart at the couplers. Im pretty sure that could have killed my maf, would you agree? Seeing as they werent ment for pressure let alone that kinda pressure

Last edited:
well, if al you need is to have the sensor connected, all you have to do is run a short wire outside of the eCU and place the sensor close by,,,,that's what imma do

well, if al you need is to have the sensor connected, all you have to do is run a short wire outside of the eCU and place the sensor close by,,,,that's what imma do

mmm, not so simple man, I too run a msp ecu in a mp3 now that Im turbo. First off you need another ecu pin and wire lead and then install it into a specific spot on your harness clip. Then SOLDER the wire to another and run it through the fire wall to a similar solenoid. Not a quick fix by any means. Easy, but time consuming. This will eliminate the cel.

Just as an update all cel's gone except for the lean bank 1 code. I have a leak somewhere for sure but cant find it!

can someone point me in the direction of the cEL fix for the MP3 running a MSP ECU?

I dunno if you just don't like me or you didn't see it, but I linked you to the fix in your own thread -- see post 17. I even offered to send you some pins so you could do it but for some reason you weren't too interested in them.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123782693

And in case you miss it again, here it is.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123748013
The offer on the pins still stands if you need them, just send like $2 to cover postage and I'll send you 5 of them just in case you mess up a bunch.

I dunno if you just don't like me or you didn't see it, but I linked you to the fix in your own thread -- see post 17. I even offered to send you some pins so you could do it but for some reason you weren't too interested in them.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123782693

And in case you miss it again, here it is.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123748013
The offer on the pins still stands if you need them, just send like $2 to cover postage and I'll send you 5 of them just in case you mess up a bunch.

not at all man
i was referring to another CEL
i got confused

imma try and find the pins with wires at the junkyard ;)

thnx
i already bookedmarked the links u gave me

Back