Pissed off with Mazda Dealer! But I won! And it appears that Mazda cars are garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mazdadude; said:
There is no sense keeping an item that you are so unhappy with, that has been so unreliable, and that frustrates you so much. Life is too short! Hope you have better luck with the next vehicle you choose.
Wise words! Coming from a person who has been through their share of Mazdas, I would say, you sir, are a true car fan and not just a Mazda fanboy. Props to you!

Last edited:
Before I get blamed and flamed, let me defend myself.

First of all I am 30 years old and I have lived in Europe and the United States. I have an extensive list of cars that I have spent time with (at least 30 days or more), both manual and automatic, both old and new: 1981 VW Golf (manual), 2002 Fiat Punto (manual), 1991 Chevy Cavalier (auto), 1991 Ford Taurus SHO (manual), 2001 Olds Alero (auto), 2006 VW Jetta (manual), 1998 Kia Sephia (auto), 2007 Chevy Aveo (auto) 2011 Mazda 2 (auto), 2010 Toyota Camry, and the 2010 Mazda 5

I am not a mechanic, but I know how to replace filters, batteries, brake parts, fluids etc. I know something about cars. And, oh boy, I have been with a manual since I have been 16 years old. So I know a little about cars. But I have to say this:

Mazda has been making the MZ5 since 2006, correct? Before that they had the MPV, correct?

Now my car is 5th generation, I assume. And they still could not get one of the most important parts of a car right? Brake rotors. Come on man, nobody needs to lecture me. If the darn things are pulsating and shaking the steering wheel like a Ford Aspire, then Mazda needs to suck it up and replace them for free, even after 13000 miles. They even admitted to it in a March 2011 TSB, so why are people telling me it could be driving habits? This is not 1965, and I am not driving a Russian Trabant made out of plastic. Is this message board full of dealer service department employees? I do not brake hard, I know how to brake. I even have a ScanGauge to watch my mileage. IF PEOPLE SPOKE UP MORE AND ADMITTED THAT A WARPED ROTOR AFTER 13000 MILES IS MAZDA'S FAULT, THEN PEOPLE LIKE ME WOULD NOT BE SHOWED AROUND BY THE DEALERS.

Other than the brakes, have you had any other major issues with the vehicle? Most definitely agree that if you are not satisfied, then you should find something else. However, keep in mind that even Hondas are not without their issues. If you end up with a Honda that also has brake issues, what are you going to do then? And if I remember rightly, a TSB is just that - a bulletin. It's not a recall.

... I explained that my front brakes shake the steering wheel I break if I am going around 55 mph or higher ... My car is a little over 1 year and 13000 miles ...
For what it's worth, I agree with you that your stock rotors were bad and I can't believe that the dealer was dragging their feet. Actually, I do, when my blower stopped working under warranty I took it in. Their conclusion was that a mouse had built a nest in my blower motor and that is not a covered repair, so I had to pay $350 in labor to remove the mouse nest. I have never heard of another vehicle (other than Mazda5s) having this issue.

Anyway, back to your rotors, the TSB clearly states that they are to put on new rotors, not resurface the old ones.

http://www.maz3.net/2010-Mazda3-Tec...der/Vibration-On-Application/20110810562.html

Most likely they charged Mazda Corporate for new rotors and just machined your old ones. Check your paperwork to make sure that they said that they followed the TSB then call Mazda Corporate and b**** about it, give the dealer a black eye. You, and Mazda Corporate (who was paying the bill) were ripped off.

I agree that Mazda quality is crap compared to Honda or Toyota but I will stand by my statement that the Mazda Sport is the best bang for the buck out there that can seat at least six passengers. Even if the Honda did bring over the Stream or Toyota brought over the Ace, you would be spending at least $5K or more for it over the cost of the Mazda5. The Mazda is the best bang for the buck. And it's the only company that brought over this class of vehicle, so if you want this style of car it's your only option.

And while Mazda quality is bad compared to Honda or Toyota, it's still better than Chrysler or Chevrolet. And it's more reliable, and MUCH less expensive, than a Volvo (which I've also owned).

Like I said, my 07 Odyssey also got warped rotors and some alignment problems that made it vibrate at a specific highway speed. Honda isn't bullet proof, at least no longer so. Honda might have less chance of problem, but you pay up front for such improvements. So I took issue with your logic of "shoulda bought a Honda", not denying your problem.

Again, a rotor its a small problem, and it seems like a bad dealer. I've had far worse issues, and there are worse, well known problems with the 5. (rear shocks, crappy stock tires)

I'll laugh when you warp the rotors on your next car. And LOL at a Oldsmobile being the best car you ever owned..so great 1.) Oldsmobile doesn't exist anymore for a reason 2.) GM needed a bailout because nobody would buy their bad cars.

you got that right bear.

lol i was just waiting for someone to say it so i didnt have to.

shut up, your rotors were warped, after 20 minutes of hard fought battling that would rival WWII, you got them repaired. stfu.

Last edited:
Most dealers are a little shady IMO. When we had a bad wheel bearing a month or two ago, they tried to tell me it wasn't under the 7/100,000 powertrain warranty that comes on a certified used. I had to show them the document on my phone to get them to go take another look, then come back and sheepishly say 'you were right'.

During that, I found out that Mazda pays quite a bit less per hour and fewer hours for the same job compared to someone walking in off the street to get something done, so it's not very profitable to them, so that's why they try to get out of warranty work.

Last edited:
Short and easy...I work for a dealership group that includes a Honda delaer but not Mazda dealer. Guess what, I don't own a Honda. If you are throwing a fit over warped rotors...buddy you got issues. IMHO Honda has one of the weakest brake systems, I see it all day long, but go ahead and find out for yourself. Not to mention auto trannies. Anyway, Mazdas are not the best vehicles but certainly not the worst. I own two of them, and I am happy with them even with their issues, and I would own anything else before I saw any GM product in my garage. Btw, Hondas also get mice nest issues in the blower cage from time to time, believe me I've seen it personally numerous times.

... Anyway, Mazdas are not the best vehicles but certainly not the worst. I own two of them, and I am happy with them even with their issues, and I would own anything else before I saw any GM product in my garage. Btw, Hondas also get mice nest issues in the blower cage from time to time, believe me I've seen it personally numerous times.
Completely agree on the Mazdas over GM products, and I didn't realize that Hondas also have the mice in the blower cage issue.

Thinking more on this thread last night, markuszoom5's issues are with his Mazda dealer, not with Mazda corporate. And I am still curious to see if his dealer charged Mazda USA for new rotors, when all they did was regrind the rotors that had issues after 13,000 miles because they were of bad quality, which is why Mazda USA issued the TSB in the first place.

If I were him I would be calling Mazda USA. The TSB clearly states "new rotors". If he doesn't get new rotors, his reground but still bad rotors will be warped in another 13,000 or 15,000 miles.

What a load blustery junk. This thread is really, really lame.

OP, take out a piece of 220 sand paper, lightly sand the rotors for a total of 1 minute each, and the problem is gone. By the way, you have owned a bunch of really bad cars. Calling your 5 a bad car compared to the other POSs you've been driving makes me laugh.

This thread is so worthless. I wish an admin would lock it.

The equipment is caught in the middle. Good dealer -> owner relationship is the secret
to keeping our MAZDA5 in good running condition in many years to come.

Better find another dealership and start with a clean slate.

Guys... im about to agree with robotaz just for the reason that i would like things to be more civil here. (obviously not a do as robotaz does sort of thing)

Please, we all agree the OP is overreacting... but so are many of the posts on here.

I picked the car up this morning and found out they machined the old rotors. There is no judder but if they were really fair they would have put on new rotors and pads. Customer service 0/10. I am officially off of this board and going to start lookin for a Honda and trading this pile of metal for something else because I am not gonna be treated like crap for the next 4 years. Good bye.

Personally, I'd rather have the machined rotors vs. new ones unless the hub area is substantially rusted. Once warped, it is unlikely the metal will deform further significantly.

Anyways, I'd dare guess all the car brands are pinching pennies with warranty repairs given the current economy.

That said, I'd still rather do my own work on simple items like this, even when under warranty. I can use the parts I want and not have to waste time on a weekday to bring the car in, and get it done in a manner I trust .... as all dealerships are crap, regardless of branding. As far as I'm concerned, a warranty is only useful if the engine or transmission explodes. Otherwise, I prefer to do it right the first time myself.

Now my car is 5th generation, I assume. And they still could not get one of the most important parts of a car right? Brake rotors.

Except that car manufacturers (not just Mazda) and OEM aftermarket have migrated most rotor manufacturing from US and Europe to China, where the quality of steel itself lends itself to warping. There is no "design" involved in rotors. It's a hunk of metal in a certain shape and diameter. There's no marvel of engineering. It's just a metal quality issue. If you saw the crappy new rear rotors the Mazda dealership charged me $400 to put on last year that turned to solid pieces of rust in a month's time, you'd appreciate the free machining you got.

Except that car manufacturers (not just Mazda) and OEM aftermarket have migrated most rotor manufacturing from US and Europe to China, where the quality of steel itself lends itself to warping. There is no "design" involved in rotors. It's a hunk of metal in a certain shape and diameter. There's no marvel of engineering. It's just a metal quality issue. If you saw the crappy new rear rotors the Mazda dealership charged me $400 to put on last year that turned to solid pieces of rust in a month's time, you'd appreciate the free machining you got.

Man, you can get some seriously awesome aftermarket rotors for $150/pair. You do know that now, right? PM me if you need specifics.

My mazda 5 hasnt been the best thing either.

However, i think what you are dealing with is a crappy dealer.

This has all been fixed or replaced on my 08 Mz5 with no cost to me.

-drivers side window motor replaced
-transmission resealed (was oozing fluid)

below is all from one issue... a funny clunking sound in the front right wheel area
-replaced both front control arm
-new front rotors
-new front callipers
still didnt fix it, but gave up.

at 35500 miles (just shy of the warranty ending)
-replaced front pass wheel bearing
-replaced drivers side axle (welded to the wheel from the heat caused by the bad bearing)
-replaced rear shocks (are also a wear item... but still replaced for free)
-replaced rear sway bushings (started making lots of noise after the shock replacement)

then, the brakes felt squishy. noticed the pad wasnt completely in contact with the front pass rotor (the replaced one)
they checked again (now this is the 4th time ive complained about that side) and found the hub was out of round.
-replaced the entire front pass wheel assembly. (new hub, rotor, calliper... everything)

finally... everything was pretty much back to normal.

so... your little rotor problem is weak.

and it comes down to your dealer sucking. not saying mine didnt as well... since they never agreed that something was still wrong... but they always replaced things (even wear items) free of charge under the bumper to bumper.

Good gosh!! Do you think MI roads, snow, and salt contributed to your problems? Sounds like you're a case study for Mazda. Most of your problems sound like blasted roads contributed, and the brake pad issue sounds like salt/crud from winter driving bound the greased pin in your calipers.

The leaking tranny, blown shocks, and window motor are pitiful. No way around it.

How is all of that stuff now?

Awesome...thank you people.

It's nice to see that I have had 568 views and 36 replies concerning my brake problem. I though my issues over, tested the machined rotors, and concluded that they are OK so far, so I will just wait until spring and do all 4 corners of my brakes (rotors/pads) with wagner stuff from AdvanceAuto like I did my wife's Honda. It would be a shame to get rid of a van that cost me less than $20000 new. I mean I could get a Pilot but the damn thing is a guzzler and it costs a lot more. I still feel that the dealer treated me like crap SO I TURNED THE OTHER CHEEK AND SENT HIM A COWORKER WHO ENDED UP BUYING A NEW 2012 MAZDA3 FROM THEM, so take that. Maybe next time I come in they will offer me some coffee...LOL.

Good gosh!! Do you think MI roads, snow, and salt contributed to your problems? Sounds like you're a case study for Mazda. Most of your problems sound like blasted roads contributed, and the brake pad issue sounds like salt/crud from winter driving bound the greased pin in your calipers.

The leaking tranny, blown shocks, and window motor are pitiful. No way around it.

How is all of that stuff now?

aside from the trans, and windows (which just made a funny sound but they replaced the motor anyways)

the rest i believe was caused by a bad bearing that wasnt discovered for at least 15000 miles.

in fact... i didnt have the funny clunk until after they dropped the transmission to reseal it. (i know they had to drop it, and should mean they had to take out the axles)
in doing this, i think they put it back in wrong. the axle was all screwed up and the bearing went bad and the hub was out of round.

everything has been fine since they replaced everything on that side. about 10000 miles now.

i do think the crappy roads contributed to some of the problems... or at least causing them to break faster. i mean, come on... they patch a hole, and make it a bump... then the plow takes it out again... and the cycle continues. there is a whole mile section of road around here that looks like it is made of patches!

aside from the trans, and windows (which just made a funny sound but they replaced the motor anyways)

the rest i believe was caused by a bad bearing that wasnt discovered for at least 15000 miles.

in fact... i didnt have the funny clunk until after they dropped the transmission to reseal it. (i know they had to drop it, and should mean they had to take out the axles)
in doing this, i think they put it back in wrong. the axle was all screwed up and the bearing went bad and the hub was out of round.

everything has been fine since they replaced everything on that side. about 10000 miles now.

i do think the crappy roads contributed to some of the problems... or at least causing them to break faster. i mean, come on... they patch a hole, and make it a bump... then the plow takes it out again... and the cycle continues. there is a whole mile section of road around here that looks like it is made of patches!

You know you live in a place that is brutal on roads when concrete is more comfortable than asphalt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back