Pics of my amp power cord install.

I dont know man, to each his own, but I like a clean install free from sight and I can't imagine opening my door and see a huge blue wire staring at me. Just look for a big grommet on the drivers side, you can drill through but its easier just to pry it open and push the wire through. I have all of my gauges ran through and about to put a 4g wire through with no issues.

Where on the driver's side? and if you look in the pics.. I have the plastic piece pulled out.. the piece is now in and covers the wire.. can you take a pic of this gromet?

I did find some locations that people were telling me about.. but it didn't seem as easy as they said.. looked like some drilling was needed etc.

on the drivers side, under the steering wheel, on the firewall, there is this white plastic piece that is about 1 inch x 2 inches (wide)

simply push that out into the engine bay (have someone catch it)
then drill a hole through it, place a grommet, then feed the wire through

it's the only white plastic piece in the vicinity of the driver's side firewall, its hard to miss....

i just wired my car today
in the firewall there's a white plug, removed it, drilled it, used a gasket to ensure no leaks, power wire goes in and just routes under the sider door panels

yours looks....... very difficult
but kudos!

I think that white plug is only on automatic vehicles. might be a clutch mount there since he has a standard vehicle. I would also suggest going through the boot on the wire harness especially since its such a small wire. I usuially push a coat hanger through the boot then tape my wire to it and pull it through. I ran 0 gauge wire and I just pulled out the white cover and drilled it to my wire size , ran my wire through it then replaced the white cover with the wire in it. but like I said it might just be a plug for us automatic guys. I could be wrong.

ahhh! you're right, my car is automatic!

thanks for clarifying that!

I think that white plug is only on automatic vehicles. might be a clutch mount there since he has a standard vehicle. I would also suggest going through the boot on the wire harness especially since its such a small wire. I usuially push a coat hanger through the boot then tape my wire to it and pull it through. I ran 0 gauge wire and I just pulled out the white cover and drilled it to my wire size , ran my wire through it then replaced the white cover with the wire in it. but like I said it might just be a plug for us automatic guys. I could be wrong.

Yeah, I have a manual and didn't see any white plug. If you open the hood, stand at your driver's side front wheel, and look directly behind the strut mount, there is a rubber plug right there. I ran my gauge wires through there by puncturing the rubber with a flat blade screw driver. I punctured it from the cabin side.

When I was much younger, two of my buddies set their cars on fire with routing similar to that. Just put in the extra effort now, it will pay off in the long run.

my setup, hope this helps.

the big red wire is the power wire

DSCN1143.jpg

DSCN1147.jpg

Here's where I did mine.

Edit- Opps, didn't see JCell's post in time.

Attachments

• 100_6445.JPG
    100_6445.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_6456.JPG
    100_6456.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 188
+1 to disaster waiting to happen.

The best way is through the huge grommet in the driver's side fender. Just pull down the fender liner and follow the big harness that runs inside the top of the fender. All you need is a razor blade to slide the rubber and you are good to go.

This is the cleanest way to run any size wire (I have 1/0 in my car, and have done 1/0 and 4 gauge in other proteges).

Yeah, I have a manual and didn't see any white plug. If you open the hood, stand at your driver's side front wheel, and look directly behind the strut mount, there is a rubber plug right there. I ran my gauge wires through there by puncturing the rubber with a flat blade screw driver. I punctured it from the cabin side.

mmk, I see the rubber plug behind the strut.. has a green ring around it.. where in the cabin would it poke through at?? seems pretty high up there

nobody has posted here in a while. Could someone post a pic of what the white piece of plastic looks like? [from the inside the cabin]

The white piece that is only with the automatics??

The white piece is where the clutch master cylinder would go if the car you has a manual transmission..
So if your looking for it pretend your car has a clutch pedal and look strait up the firewall in that area..

JT

Last edited:
okay I think I got it. I just have to get the bugger out. [push forward?]

maybe... have not taken one out.. Maybe held in with the same bolts used to hold the clutch MC in...

It could be held in on the engine bay side also..
JT

Here is how I did it and I should have taken pics for visual aid.
Take out the battery and stand right in front of your car, looking dead ahead where your battery used to be. You should notice a tiny hole, you have to look closely. I was about to give up until I stuck a hanger in there and it went straight through the firewall and came out the left side of my steering column.
Hope it helps someone, I did not have to drill anything.

Back