Picking up a 13 Mazda5 on friday

fiftysix, are you the only one on this forum? Or does everyone else just not participate much?

Hey man, I've been busy for days and haven't actually been to the lounge since early last week.
BTW, welcome. If I had caught this thread b4 you left, I could have told you how mechanically uneventful the drive would be. What breaks on these cars is plastic-bodied electronic bits. Oh, and motor mounts. Replace all 3 motor mounts at the first sign of shimmy. I drove on failing mount after failing mount for almost 40K miles. Each one shifts the engine a little bit differently and the passenger mount seems to have multiple different symptoms and no 2 cars have the same symptom. I thought I had a bad bearing & ended up doing far too much to the front suspension only to still have the howling up there. I finally went to the dealer last time only to find out it was the rear mount and before I realized which mount it was (they were very vague in the problem description leading me to believe that there was a mount I didn't know about) I had them change it although I was set on getting the e-Focus mount when that one failed.
So anyway, yeah, when 1 mount goes, do all 3. Plan on doing this every 50K. Think of it as wear items haha.

Nice tip on the mounts, will remember that. VW's(TDI's) need them with regularity as well, have replaced my fair share of motor mounts, dog bone mounts, and trans mounts over the years.

We were truly hoping for a bit more drama, we were ready for some drama. Only to be disappointed. Last year, bringing home my Golf TDI from Omaha NE, had to stop in Kentucky for an emergency brake job at a friend's shop. Always good to have friends on the route's of your road trips. And even better to travel with a pro.

Thaxman, my Ford tech buddy would dissuade you from a efocus. But, that conversation is for another day.

Neither of those steering wheels look exactly like mine on my 2012. Similar but not identical. I don't know if the steering controls will be functional given they are not placed in the same spot as mine, perhaps the connectors are wired correctly and placement of button is a moot point.

Well, new from mazda, GT leather wheel, is $250, might be the route I go? New is, well, new...

Well, new from mazda, GT leather wheel, is $250, might be the route I go? New is, well, new...

I am positive that you will have to swap all of your controls over as it will not come with any switches. Which on second thought, I guess you can do the same for the used steering wheel as well.

I'll sort it out when I get the damn thing. How do Mazda steering wheels come off anyway? VW and BMW are stupid springs in the back that you have to get with a bent screwdriver. Similar?

I'll sort it out when I get the damn thing. How do Mazda steering wheels come off anyway? VW and BMW are stupid springs in the back that you have to get with a bent screwdriver. Similar?

2 bolts on the back, covered by round rubber thingies, one bolt holding the steering wheel together. Just remember to disconnect the battery first.

Ahhh...that would be the easy way of airbag removal. I understand battery first, VW's you were supposed to wait 20 min after disconnecting.
On another note, took the rear seat out today and one of the 2nd row seats as well, can fit in 2 29er mountain bikes with wheels on. But, much easier with front wheels off, so have to get those mounting pieces for the bikes with the wheels off. It is pretty big in there with the seats out. Left the 3rd row out, makes for a lot more room in the back.

PM me your phone number as I have them on my phone. Not a clue how to get them from phone to here? I only went drivers side first row seat and the rear seat. Left the 3rd row out when done, needs a piece of carpet or something back there?

PM me your phone number as I have them on my phone. Not a clue how to get them from phone to here? I only went drivers side first row seat and the rear seat. Left the 3rd row out when done, needs a piece of carpet or something back there?

If you have an iPhone, download the Upgur app (it may be also available for Android but I don't know). Its simply an app that acts as a host to your mobile phone pics. Open up the app, select "Library" on the left side, select pic you want to upload (this automatically uploads that pic), then select the "Uploads" on the right hand side and select the most recent upload. Click on "Copy Link to Clipboard". Then come here to the forum, click on the little icon with the picture frame with a tree and paste the host address you just copied...and voila!

Thaxman, my Ford tech buddy would dissuade you from a efocus. But, that conversation is for another day.

No no no. E-Focus MOUNT. There are reports floating around here that the rear mount is good to go and firms things up quite a bit for better power transfer.

My attempt at putting up pics did not work out so well. Any links to a step by step deal? I have decent computer skills, but, some of these things just tick me off so much I just through up my hands and walk away.

My attempt at putting up pics did not work out so well. Any links to a step by step deal? I have decent computer skills, but, some of these things just tick me off so much I just through up my hands and walk away.

Did you try my suggestion on post #33?

What I did was connect the phone to the laptop, go to the upload section, found the pic, and hit upload. I then got the digital middle finger!

What I did was connect the phone to the laptop, go to the upload section, found the pic, and hit upload. I then got the digital middle finger!

LOL...download the app and follow the steps I listed. Super simple and convenient given we all mostly use our phones to smack pics nowadays.

If your cell service is Verizon, you can actually send a picture text to an EMAIL address. I think Sprint and AT&T can too, but not sure.

I have Tmobile, if there are any cool features, pretty sure we don't have them, we barely have service most places, much less cool features. But, it is significantly cheaper, which is great, so I got that going for me...

Back