Phonebook Download Feature Not Supported

emacintosh

:
2014 mazda cx-5 touring
Hi I'm new to the forum. I just traded in my 2006 mazda 3 for a 2014 CX-5. So far I'm happy (only been a day), but I'm having trouble with bluetooth. I can pair my phone fine, but when I try to download my phonebook, I get the following message

Phonebook download feature is not supported by the currently connected phone.

I have a Motorola Razr M running Android 4.1.2 According to mazda's bluetooth site, the phonebook profile is supported on this phone. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Is there anything I need to do on my phone to enable it? I did try installing an app called Bluetooth Phonebook, but that didn't seem to help.

Thanks!

With my last car a Xtrail, no phone would download the phone book automatically, but I could download them individually, maybe you have that option.

I have three phones paired with the CX-5 and in all cases the phone book has downloaded, Samsung galaxy Y, HTC wildfire, and a old nokia, so another phone may be the better option?

I had to ditch the Galaxy Y because of random failures with connecting, so use the HTC.

I know one thing that has helped for some is to make sure all of your contacts are actually on your phone, and not your sim card. But then again, if it says the phone is unsupported I imagine this won't matter.

I agree with Nodnerb. Make sure that you are synching contacts saved on the phone and not the sim card. I found this out the hard way!

Thanks for the replies! According to the site, my phone does support "Phonebook Import" but not "Receive Contact". It sounds like the former should enough, but I'm not positive. And I honestly don't know where the contacts are stored on my phone. I'll have to find out how to check and make sure it's not on the sim.

I don't want to drop more money on a new phone if that's the solution, but it might be worth it.

Check the Google Play store for an app called Bluetooth Phonebook (I think it is about $1.99) is will allow you to download your entire phone book to your Mazda. I found out about this on another thread here where someone had mentioned that Mazda USA had was suggesting it as a work around.

Here's a link to the developers website: http://www.android-rsap.com/bluetooth-phonebook.html

Not sure if it will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

I did try the Bluetooth Phonebook trial app yesterday which didn't work, but I'll give it another shot - didn't realize there was a site dedicated to it (with a lot of info). I may have missed a step or two.

I was able to use the bluetooth file transfer app to push down one contact. I had to choose the "single contact" phonebook option in the car, and then send an exported address book (vcf) from the phone with that app. I tried it twice and both times it downloaded the same exact contact. So it didn't help much, but it was nice to actually see something download :) And if I get real desperate, I can probably export my important contacts to separate vcf files and push them down that way.

Well the good new is that it's working now. The bad news is that I don't know what thing I did actually fixed it. While away from the car, I turned off contact syncing with gmail, facebook and google+. I exported all of my contacts from gmail and saved them on the phone in a vcf file. I then deleted all of contacts on the phone and re-imported them from that vcf file. I also re-installed the Bluetooth Phonebook app.

At the car, I unpaired my phone from the car and deleted the device from the head unit. Before I was able to pair them again, I ran some errands (so the car was turned off in between). After I got home, I tried pairing them again. This time after they were connected, I was prompted to download the phonebook. I said yes and my contacts were downloaded.

One thing I forgot to check was whether the numbers were actually correct. If not, and if they're off by one digit, then I think the bluetooth phonebook trial app is what did it. Otherwise, it probably had something to do with the contacts changes I made. I also read somewhere else that it's best to remove any photo information from the vcf which is why I did the export from gmail - not sure if that played a role in resolving the issue too.

So long story short, it's working. I'll follow up once I check the phone numbers to see if they're correct.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Yep, the numbers were off by one digit. I downloaded the paid bluetooth phone app and downloaded the phonebook again - numbers look good now.

Back