People who are too fastidious with the interior...

I don't see what's wrong with that statement?
Most people will spend 20k on two things in their life. A down payment for a house or a car. I can't think of a third thing that will fit in that category. A car is a luxury but ppl treat it like a necessity so they will spend the 20k to get the car they want over taking the bus and buying something else.

There are depreciating assets and appreciating assets. Unfortunately cars depreciate, but we invest in them anyways because we "need" them. You're not throwing money away by any means because you're hopefully using the vehicle (and not keeping it in a bubble =) but when it comes time to sell it, you want as much money as you can get back from your depreciating investment.

So again, why not take care of something you spent a lot of money on? It makes logical sense.
We just have to moderate, let it get dirty when you don't want to worry about it, but clean it up afterwards.

Edit: it does suck though when I take amazing care of my car and a 96 Caravan rear ends me for 13k damages. =)

Last edited:
maybe investments was the wrong word. Either way you (as in a general everyone) pays alot of money per month, and whether or not its a hyundai, or a maserati, why not take the upmost care of it? Yeah cars do depreciate, but there is still a difference in how much you would get back when you go to sell it. My scenario was purely pointing out the difference in how people take care of their cars, not the exact situations the car will go through. IF the cars were to be sold as is, on the spot, who would get more money? look on craigslist, and how many cars are up for sale and are in terrible shape? If they were proplerly cleaned and cared for they could probably ask for more, and people would buy it.

maybe im just crazy because my door jambs are cleaner than most of your cars O_O

I don't see what's wrong with that statement?
Most people will spend 20k on two things in their life. A down payment for a house or a car. I can't think of a third thing that will fit in that category.

Tuition (for yourself and/or children)? Retirement plans? Wedding(s) (for yourself and/or children)?

Tuition (for yourself and/or children)? Retirement plans? Wedding(s) (for yourself and/or children)?

true, but your not turning around and selling a wedding again, with both tuition and retirement plans you get money back (with the tuiton comes a degree, which hypothetically leads to a better paying job).

What really bothers me is that half my neighbors wash their cars by hosing them down, and drying them with old bath towels in the sun...

Ah nice, tuition and retirement
I limiting myself to stuff you can own, but tuition and retirement are good investments. Hopefully ppl are spending more than 20k on retirement. =)

I can't say anything about spending 20k+ on a wedding as I'm not married but alot of ppl think expensive weddings are outrageous.

Edit: What's true about all these things we invest in is that we have to work on them and take care of them or they can easy lead to loss.
A car is not an exception to that.

Last edited:
What really bothers me is that half my neighbors wash their cars by hosing them down, and drying them with old bath towels in the sun...

It's not your car or your money though. =) Just don't let them wash your car.

well consider i detail out of my house, and im always out there either doing my car, or my moms cars, not to mention theres always a different car in my driveway every couple days youd think more of them would approach me asking for some work... but eh, this economy isnt helping my detailing side business at all.

detailing is my stress reliever, I enjoy it, it relaxes me, which is why i take it so seriously i guess.

there's a middle ground between filthy and immaculate which is where most people fall. to the filthy people the people in that middle ground have cars that are really clean and they won't notice the difference between a middle ground car and an immaculate car because they're both clean. to the immaculate people everyone whose car isn't immaculate is filthy. most people are in the middle ground category and keep their car clean enough and don't notice a car that has super clean door jambs as anything different than their pretty clean car nor will they notice when someone's wheels have a few years worth of brake dust on them.

any car that is used as a DD isn't worth keeping immaculate imho since it's going to be subjected to other's abuse and lack of respect daily. it should be clean enough but doesn't need to be washed and waxed weekly. a collector or weekend car should be spotless unless it's a race car

Good post....just because all of us arent anal about car care doesnt mean our cars look like s*** boxes...nor do we value them any less than you
there's a middle ground between filthy and immaculate which is where most people fall. to the filthy people the people in that middle ground have cars that are really clean and they won't notice the difference between a middle ground car and an immaculate car because they're both clean. to the immaculate people everyone whose car isn't immaculate is filthy. most people are in the middle ground category and keep their car clean enough and don't notice a car that has super clean door jambs as anything different than their pretty clean car nor will they notice when someone's wheels have a few years worth of brake dust on them.

any car that is used as a DD isn't worth keeping immaculate imho since it's going to be subjected to other's abuse and lack of respect daily. it should be clean enough but doesn't need to be washed and waxed weekly. a collector or weekend car should be spotless unless it's a race car

Last edited:
Good post....just because all of us arent anal about car care doesnt mean our cars look like s*** boxes...nor do we value them any less than you

(werd) Adding to that, not everyone has the time to detail their cars, or even wash them on a weekly basis. There are a # of factors involved. Time, priorities and responsiblities all come into play.

Do I love my car? Yes. Do I wash it every week? s***, it's lucky if it gets washed every other month. But do I freak out if a bird craps on it? No. Does a dirty car make me any less happy to drive it? Myeh.... depends on the level of dirty we're talking about. ;)

No eating, maybe some drinking from a closed container as boost seems to happen often, followed by severe braking occasionally. And my filthy handed children are really not even allowed near my cars. This is all based on experience I can assure you. The only dirty seat in my car is well, mine.

(werd) Adding to that, not everyone has the time to detail their cars, or even wash them on a weekly basis. There are a # of factors involved. Time, priorities and responsiblities all come into play.

Do I love my car? Yes. Do I wash it every week? s***, it's lucky if it gets washed every other month. But do I freak out if a bird craps on it? No. Does a dirty car make me any less happy to drive it? Myeh.... depends on the level of dirty we're talking about. ;)
My car is very very dirty. But its's awhole lotta fun too.

I agree with this statement

maybe investments was the wrong word. Either way you (as in a general everyone) pays alot of money per month, and whether or not its a hyundai, or a maserati, why not take the upmost care of it? Yeah cars do depreciate, but there is still a difference in how much you would get back when you go to sell it. My scenario was purely pointing out the difference in how people take care of their cars, not the exact situations the car will go through. IF the cars were to be sold as is, on the spot, who would get more money? look on craigslist, and how many cars are up for sale and are in terrible shape? If they were proplerly cleaned and cared for they could probably ask for more, and people would buy it.

maybe im just crazy because my door jambs are cleaner than most of your cars O_O

Cars, unless they are, rare italian supercars, rarely appareciate.

BUT

The fact that you pay 25,000 for something entitles it to be cared for. I don't wash my car weekly but I try to keep it clean and tidy. I also make sure I remove stuff like bird crap or coffee stains immediately becasue it's acidic and will stain.

I agree with everyone who says that a clean car usually gets sold quicker. I've traded all my older cars and have always gotten top dollar for them becasue the dealer didn't have to do a single thing to them. Ultimately it was an extra 500 t0 $1000 dollars, which is better in my pocket than someone elses.

Plus for me cleaning it is therapy and instant gratification. I also feel peace in a clean car and completely uncomfortable in a dirty one.

FYI my door jambs are also clean :)

FWIW my wife and I keep our home spotless as well. We've burned through three vacuum cleaners in the last 8 years. :)

the question is does your car still smell new inside after 5+ years?
That's how OCD I am about my car. :(

-Dean

I'm pretty anal about the interior and exterior. Anyone who knows me would say I'm OCD about it. No eating/drinking in the car. A little dirt on the floor mats, etc doesn't bother me too much and I usually only dust off the interior when I wash the car on the weekends. The thing I worry about most concerning the interior are people scuffing up the door, dash with bags, shoes, etc. The interior of this car scuffs up very easily. I'm really hoping they put some more soft touch materials in the next-gen 3.

I made the mistake of neglecting my last car towards the end of ownership, and it hurt me in trying to get it sold.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back