Paddle Shift Install - 2016 CX-5

Can someone please confirm the part number for the rear cover needed for the 2016's? Is GJS2-32-049 the correct one? That shows up under Google search for a mazda6 rear steering wheel cover. Is that correct? I found an eBay listing for an install kit for the paddle shifters and I'm trying to confirm the rear cover part number

You're feeling the audio vibration if anything, it plays through the appropriate speaker as Ride92 explained. The music volume drops and a vibration sound is played. You'll notice in the settings that it is labeled as a rumble sound and has a volume setting.

From the 2016 owners manual, page 4-101:

It is not labeled as rumble sound, it is clearly labeled as vibration. I'm pretty sure my steering wheel vibrates, sound alert is an option too. My car is japan built, don't know about the US version.

SpmTpMX.jpg

Last edited:
Pondo, what year CX-5 do you have? If it's a 2016 what version of software do you have installed? I just went out and looked at my screens and I do not have the same menu descriptions as you do. Mine does not say Lane-keep assist system, but rather Lane Departure Warning System. Is your's a 2016.5 I wonder if it's something they changed. It's either that or you have an older version of the software installed and the menu descriptions have changed.

So I found this listing on ebay the other day:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I've been in communication with the seller asking about compatibility with the 2016's and he is unsure but willing to sell me a "kit" at a discount to do a test fit and see if it does indeed work. My big question is whether or not the rear cover is the correct one. I've poured over the pictures on this thread and others and it looks to be the same rear cover as others have used on the 2016's. What do you guys think?

Also the seller states that the wiring Harness is made by his contact in China, where he is sourcing the parts so it's not the OEM mazda harness. Do you guys think this is too big a risk to take in trying this kit from this seller? I'm a little leary about non-oem parts for this mod. For those that have done the paddle shift mod, what is your take on what is listed with the KIT on ebay, is there anything missing? It's a much cheaper option then the $250+ to get the kit from japanparts.com. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Since the steering wheel back cover is NOT the same part between the 2015 and 2016 models I'd be leery. The part shown in that photo appears to be the 2015 model cover, but the letters stamped on the back of the cover will tell the tale. Ask him what those letters are (its difficult to read them from the photo he took).

Last edited:
I did ask the guy what part number the rear cover was and he said it starts with GV9D, which is a new one to me. It may have something to do with the fact that his source is China or it could be a CX-3 rear cover. I'm not sure. what is the correct part number for the cover that works on the 2016? I've asked for confirmation and have yet to receive it.

Yeah, comparing this back cover to the image that Srad posted as part of his write-up, everything important does look to be the same. For the other parts, I'm not entirely sure it's all there, but if you are missing anything, you can always order from JapanParts.

Yes, I believe the ebay kit is missing the wiring harness that connects the shift pods to the other things in the steering wheel part number BNK8-66-4M2 and the steering wheel bolt. The other two harnesses seem to be there if I'm not mistaken. I am a bit confused on where those two other harness go. The short one with the white connector I believe plugs in the harness that is in the steering wheel, negating the need for a completely different harness, it's just adding the one section, and the other longer harness is for under the steering column if I'm not mistaken.

I agree Ride92 that it might be missing the new wiring harness for the shift pods, but maybe that short white connect is, as you said, just the new add-on wire needed for the shift pods rather than getting a whole new harness like in the OEM kit.

I think the guy in this video is using the ebay kit that you're looking to purchase.

Also if/when you do go ahead wit this mod, I find this video VERY helpful throughout the process, especially when it came to pulling things apart. Knowing where the leverage points are, how much resistance there is in pulling apart certain parts, and other smaller details that a photo write-up cannot provide.

I got the kit from japanparts installed everything as srad600 guide (i have a 2016 as well) but i get nothing from the shifters. All cables are secured properly, everything is connected as stated and all previous functions still work as expected. i have seen that previous install had this issue but never seen the fix for it.... any ideas???

Edit: on the video above this post the guy when it first start the car has the same issue i have... but it does not say what was wrong. See minute 28:07 onwards.

Last edited:
Just a thought, which wire harness did you use, the one with long pins or short pins? Maybe is not the right one and it's still not "connected" electrically.

Just a thought, which wire harness did you use, the one with long pins or short pins? Maybe is not the right one and it's still not "connected" electrically.

I used the long ones. I checked the length of the connectors before use. I'm thinking on doing a continuity test on all wires to check if something is not connected. Not sure if this will mess something on the car though...

Just check with one lead, at one end of the connector and with the other lead, the other end of the connector and you should be fine.

I used the long ones. I checked the length of the connectors before use. I'm thinking on doing a continuity test on all wires to check if something is not connected. Not sure if this will mess something on the car though...

Check your ground also. IF all the other connections were made properly, this is the only one that doesn't lock into a connector.

Check your ground also. IF all the other connections were made properly, this is the only one that doesn't lock into a connector.
Just check them. Ground has full contact. uploadfromtaptalk1460165228854.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1460165235063.jpg

Edit: i just tested all 3 cables from inside the steering wheel to the start/stop conector. Every one checks out. So all my contacts are good.

Only thing left are the pods themselves...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would pay someone to do this to my wife's car.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

On the big connector, did you open the locking tab to inserting the wire, after that did you lock it?
When you say that you have checked the connections, do you mean with a meter right?

On the big connector, did you open the locking tab to inserting the wire, after that did you lock it?
When you say that you have checked the connections, do you mean with a meter right?
Yes. I opened like in the picture of the OP an inserted the wires an then closed back. I check the wires with a multimeter to make sure i did not missed and wire seating.

My car is japan made so im not sure if this will change something on the wiring...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Aren't All Cx-5s are made in Japan? I could have sworn point of origin on my window sticker said Japan.

Back