Paddle Shift Install - 2016 CX-5

I get you may be frustrated by the situation, but please remember that my walk through was simply how I installed this kit. It is not a "catch all", step by step installation guide. If you do this, you should have some basic knowledge of how automotive electronics work. A good rule of thumb when working on any vehicle is if something does not want to move/release/engage DO NOT force it. Take a step back and analyze before proceeding, this will almost always save you some heartburn in the long run.
+1

I get you may be frustrated by the situation, but please remember that my walk through was simply how I installed this kit. It is not a "catch all", step by step installation guide. If you do this, you should have some basic knowledge of how automotive electronics work. A good rule of thumb when working on any vehicle is if something does not want to move/release/engage DO NOT force it. Take a step back and analyze before proceeding, this will almost always save you some heartburn in the long run.

It's cool mate, it's not something you can't fix and learn from it, but we can help others to not face the same situation.

Last edited:
As i said, i messed up and pulled the yellow cable too hard and broke off the metal tip inside the white connector, now the left steering wheel pod doesn't work with the exception of the INFO button. Took it to the dealer and they used the scanner to diagnose the problem, they got an error code which means short circuit on the left steering wheel pod, but they had to call the factory because they don't know yet which part do we need to replace. Any ideas on how to remove the piece of cable inside or which part to replace? THanks

vS9MKlT.jpg

Last edited:
As i said, i messed up and pulled the yellow cable too hard and broke off the metal tip inside the white connector, now the left steering wheel pod doesn't work with the exception of the INFO button. Took it to the dealer and they used the scanner to diagnose the problem, they got an error code which means short circuit on the left steering wheel pod, but they had to call the factory because they don't know yet which part do we need to replace. Any ideas on how to remove the piece of cable inside or which part to replace? THanks

vS9MKlT.jpg

Is that a picture of yours?
Did you tell the dealer what you did to break it?

Pondo, if the dealer gives you a song and dance about having to replace the entire harness, before you pop for big bucks, contact these guys and see if they can help you: http://www.aeromotive.us/

In a previous life I was an insurance (auto) adjuster and used them with great results.

Is that a picture of yours?
Did you tell the dealer what you did to break it?

No, i have to remove the steering Wheel cover again to get a pic. BUt you get the idea.

Pondo, if the dealer gives you a song and dance about having to replace the entire harness, before you pop for big bucks, contact these guys and see if they can help you: http://www.aeromotive.us/

In a previous life I was an insurance (auto) adjuster and used them with great results.

i'd have to know first what kind of connector is the one in the pic i posted.

Is that from the clock spring from the steering wheel column side?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Pondo, have you had any luck 'unlocking' the harness to allow connectors to be added and removed?

Is that from the clock spring from the steering wheel column side?

yes, the small narrow White connector

Pondo, have you had any luck 'unlocking' the harness to allow connectors to be added and removed?

i don't see how can this one be opened. The wider one opens as shown in the pic on post 46, but this one is tight.

yes, the small narrow White connector

i don't see how can this one be opened. The wider one opens as shown in the pic on post 46, but this one is tight.

Yikes! That is looking a bit goobered up! I would guess this might be a reason that Mazda does not offer this as a KIT in the US?

Pondo, some of the smaller connectors need to be unlocked via the metal tab.

If you observe the sides of the white connector, on most you should see little windows in which you can see a metal tab on each PIN.

The matching metal tab must be lightly depressed while removing that wire from the harness...
those style of connectors will look like the one in this pic... (pic is not from a cx-5)
42330d1402611386-2014-base-soul-keyless-entry-install-2-wires-modified-.jpg

some of the other style connectors have the unlocking tab on the inside of the connector and you need to use an inserting tool like in the video here...

Last edited:
Pondo, I am going to give this a go to remove my broken metal connector. Hopefully it unlocks it and it slides on out.

let me know if it did work mate.

i was able to remove the piece of cable inside, but the volume pod still doesn't work, i re-checked every connection, Steering column where the cable was and with the steering wheel, even tried the original (not paddle shift) cable but no luck.

anyone has an idea of what i might have damaged? the car is almost new, sucks to drive around like this.

Last edited:
anyone has an idea of what i might have damaged? the car is almost new, sucks to drive around like this.
So if you put everything back to stock, the pod is still not working? If so my first check would be to make sure all my connections are tight and in the right place. My next check would be the associated fuse (not sure which, but you can likely find it online) for that circuit, replace it if blown. After that my next check would be any wiring that I worked with, check for a shorted wire, or a break in a wire. Replace as needed.

Last edited:
Yes, i put everything back to stock but still a no go. The fuse maybe, but i already took it to the dealer, they ran some tests but they don't know what they need to replace, much less which circuit is blown.

So if you put everything back to stock, the pod is still not working? If so my first check would be to make sure all my connections are tight and in the right place. My next check would be the associated fuse (not sure which, but you can likely find it online) for that circuit, replace it if blown. After that my next check would be any wiring that I worked with, check for a shorted wire, or a break in a wire. Replace as needed.

Yes, i put everything back to stock but still a no go. The fuse maybe, but i already took it to the dealer, they ran some tests but they don't know what they need to replace, much less which circuit is blown.
Quick question, does the left pod lights up when you turn on the parking lights ( as they always do) ? You did mention that the info button did work so it could be that the pod is shorted out internally... just a wild guess.

Quick question, does the left pod lights up when you turn on the parking lights ( as they always do) ? You did mention that the info button did work so it could be that the pod is shorted out internally... just a wild guess.

Yes it lights up, and the INFO button works which is very strange, because none of the others do (volume up or down, song skip or voice commands).

Also my car is equipped with LANE KEEP ASSIST SYSTEM, it works still but i noticed the vibration is not as strong as it used to be, even though on the CMU menu it is set to VIBRATION: STRONG, perhaps i tightened the steering wheel bolt to much?

Yes it lights up, and the INFO button works which is very strange, because none of the others do (volume up or down, song skip or voice commands).

Also my car is equipped with LANE KEEP ASSIST SYSTEM, it works still but i noticed the vibration is not as strong as it used to be, even though on the CMU menu it is set to VIBRATION: STRONG, perhaps i tightened the steering wheel bolt to much?

The vibration for the lane keep assist doesn't actually vibrate the wheel at all. It's just a sound that is played through the speakers. Left side if you're drifting to the left and right side if your drifting the right. The steering wheel bolt torque would not effect this at all.

The vibration for the lane keep assist doesn't actually vibrate the wheel at all. It's just a sound that is played through the speakers. Left side if you're drifting to the left and right side if your drifting the right. The steering wheel bolt torque would not effect this at all.

Don't know about you, but it definetly vibrates on my 2016 cx-5.

Don't know about you, but it definetly vibrates on my 2016 cx-5.

You're feeling the audio vibration if anything, it plays through the appropriate speaker as Ride92 explained. The music volume drops and a vibration sound is played. You'll notice in the settings that it is labeled as a rumble sound and has a volume setting.

From the 2016 owners manual, page 4-101:

If the LDWS warning sound is set to
rumble, the sound will be heard from the
vehicle speaker
on the side which the
system determined the vehicle may be
deviating from its lane.

Back