Owners or potential owners: If you have to pick ONE thing you don't like about the 3.

dja0323 said:
Is there seriously no light in the truck of the Sedan? Why the hell would you leave something like that out? Espeically with the small opening. If I ever saw a trunk that absolutely needed a light, this would be it. Come on, even Chevy Cavaliers come with lights, as do their new cheap ass Avio, I believe. Mazda, what were you thinking?

There is a light in the trunk. If you don't see it at a showroom or autoshow it's just because they disconnected the battery.

Mazda3 sedan - light
Mazda3 hatch - light with on/off switch

OmegaRoach said:
For a long road trip it is a very good thing to have automatic climate control. It stops the need for the constant switching on and off and the endless adjustment of the a/c controls. Moving from my college car (a '94 Saturn) to my current car I saught out the automatic a/c as a necessity.

I will SERIOUSLY be looking into getting the auto a/c from europe shipped to the states and installed.

I've never had any problem setting the temp control to the correct setting and leaving it there. Once you find a comfortable setting, leave it there.

Besides, moving around once in a while will keep your blood flowing; and if you just sit there staring at the road you'll eventually get tunnel vision :p

The only thing I miss is keyholes for the back doors. Of course storing stuff in the trunk is much safer and easy to get with the trunck latch. But, when getting the door for someone I would like to not have to open the fron one first.
And yes, when all is said in done, THIS IS AN AWESOME CAR!!

I just test drove the sedan today and have an overall positive experience. Planning to place order soon. The things I did not like are:

1. Navigation system did not seem to impressive and accurate for the price. Even the dealer gave it a negative remark for the price and I did not even mention it to him.

2. The back view when parking and driving in reverse is a bit high. I backed the the car into a parking spot and I could not tell how far the parked car behind me was because I could not see its trunk... but thats something yuo can get used to.

One thing eh? IMO:

The drivers cockpit is a bit snug in the leg area
Would be nice for the doors to lock automaticly when car starts or moves.
A 2.3L engine could have more oomph, but for the price range it is up there.
Could be a bit wider and a tad bit lower. But, I am nit picking. But wider is better.

That is all i can think of. Out of all that, the leg room thing is the most important.

Having had an '03 Acura CL I do not miss automatic climate control at all. It was never the right setting in the summer plus it used the A/C too much. I was also happy to get rid of the moonroof (just another source of noise and potential mechanical failure). The stereo sounds about the same as the Bose in the Acura; in other words: it needs more ooomph.

I do miss heated side-view mirrors. I like and am comfortable with the cloth seats though they could've been made a bit 'classier' looking. Automatic head lights would be nice (I assume these don't have the 'auto-off' feature). Lights on the vanity are unnecessary as is a sunglass holder (another rattle maker); so I am fine with that. All in all the car is pretty complete and well thought out. I do wish it had a 5 speed automatic. An auto-dimming rear view mirror (without the compass and homelink) would be cool as standard or at least as a package.

I'm pretty sure that the headlights do turn off by themselves, tho, i think the parking lights remain on? Is this true anyone who owns this car? I also believe that the side view mirrors have a defrost to them, but again, i am not positive, confirmation from an owner is needed. :) Hopefully I'll be an "owner" in the next 4 weeks.

dja0323 said:
I'm pretty sure that the headlights do turn off by themselves, tho, i think the parking lights remain on? Is this true anyone who owns this car? I also believe that the side view mirrors have a defrost to them, but again, i am not positive, confirmation from an owner is needed. :) Hopefully I'll be an "owner" in the next 4 weeks.

To answer your questions...no and no

you guys can always spend $50K on auto climate control and lit vanity mirrors.

Frankly, the more crap you have the harder it will be to troubleshoot and fix, and more importantly will wind up costing an arm and a leg.

jyo said:
you guys can always spend $50K on auto climate control and lit vanity mirrors.

Frankly, the more crap you have the harder it will be to troubleshoot and fix, and more importantly will wind up costing an arm and a leg.
You cannot argue with that (2thumbs)

ZippityZoomZoom said:
All in all the car is pretty complete and well thought out. I do wish it had a 5 speed automatic. An auto-dimming rear view mirror (without the compass and homelink) would be cool as standard or at least as a package.

Do you have the AT Sport Auto ZippityZoomZoom? A mazda salesperson informed me that the 2.3 with AT sport has a 5 speed auto trans. Can anyone confirm this?

carz8 said:
Do you have the AT Sport Auto ZippityZoomZoom? A mazda salesperson informed me that the 2.3 with AT sport has a 5 speed auto trans. Can anyone confirm this?

I have the automatic/manumatic 5 door and from all I've read the 3 does not have a 5 speed automatic in any model. Mine doesn't. The salesperson as do most doesn't have a clue. It seems with most salespeople you are lucky if they can tie their own shoes much less know the details about the cars they sell.

Last edited:
Whats up guys. I've been following you guys around ever sense I bought my car in mid january but never registered. I figured might as well do it now.
Well the things I like about this car is everything. No dissapointments. Well 1. It's solar yellow but my wife fell in love with it as soon as we got to the dealership and she wanted it right then and there. It came with everything xcept the in dash 6cd player and moon roof. Was going for $22,5XX something and it was the only and first 3 the dealership got. So they wanted to sell it to someone just to get it out of the showroom floor and show it to the public, but that damn solar yellow was killing me. So the sales man went back to his boss twice and he got the car down to $20,000 even. Well I couldnt resist and took it. My wife is happy and loves it and I'm happy as well. Happy that we have 2 cars now and dont have to worry about driving my Si in this North Dakota winter as much anymore.
Oh another thing, the traction is kinda an issue with these BF Goodwrench tires in the winter up here, but when the roads are dry, this baby handles way better then my civic. Love it. At least it seems that way cause I dont have my 17's on my civic for the winter.

Last edited:
Said I would not and did anyway...

Well I swore I would keep my P5 cause initial 1st impressions for me was it looked like the Vibe. After driving it and seeing it in person, especially w/o the 2.3 L stickers on the side in the same place as where the Vibe has it, I changed my mind, lowered my payments, interest rate and insurance....It was a no brainer.....

What I like.....ride,quiet, handling, upscale feel, paint, roomier to me, dash lighting, seats w/ adjustable lumbar, and now yes, the looks....Oh and the interior look is leagues above the P5.

What I dont like.....Brake dust, fogging side mirrors in rain, possible later rotor trouble, burbling exhaust at low rpm..although Im getting used to it, and a popping noise in the cargo trays that I gotta track down.

Other than that, I would trade the P5 again and again for this car. It is that much better. Although the P5 does have it in the looks department....but that is it.

taylor5 said:
I am sure it is a great car but,,,,,,

every time I look at it, all i see is,

PONTIAC VIBE KNOCKOFF!

It really looks like that damn cheap crap Vibe!

Im keeping my P5.

p.s I'll give it this, the back end is very "current" Alfa Romeo....which is cool!.....but that side view?....Vibe

yes, it reminds me of a vibe/matrix combo!
mazda screwed up the look

The only things I don't like about it are:
1. No trunk release on key-fob. How Mazda can continue to ignore this amazes me.
2. Still only 1 intermittent wiper speed!!! WTF?! I thought this was a "feature-rich" car?! Again how Mazda can continue to ignore this amazes me.
3. Interior looks incredible but the seat's fabric looks very cheap and doesn't fit the rest of the car.
4. MMMmmmm...that's about it!

Everything else on the car is nearly perfect. Unlike some other people in this thread I love Mazda for not putting on those damn auto-locking door locks when you start moving or the day-time running lights. Those are both "features" I hate - especially the auto door lock - ughh, who wants to be locked inside the car?!

It's a great car. Arguably the best "econobox" money can buy.

girth said:
1. No trunk release on key-fob. How Mazda can continue to ignore this amazes me.
2. Still only 1 intermittent wiper speed!!! WTF?! I thought this was a "feature-rich" car?! Again how Mazda can continue to ignore this amazes me.

My sentiments exactly. Re: the trunk release... I figure if Chevrolet will put it on their lowest model (and i'm talking about that Aveo thing) then why can't Mazda include it on their cars? It obviously doesn't cost that much to add. Granted, it's not a life or death thing, but it's just a bit more convenient than using a key (no scratching by missing the lock) or opening the front of the car first to press the trunk release button. Anyway, just my $.02! :)

girth said:
The only things I don't like about it are:
QUOTE]

Mine has 2 intermittant speeds... (dunno)

Im planning to buy a mazda 3 gt gfx (orange lava) very soon ... I tested-drove one and so far the only negative point I have about it is

there's not enought space between the brake/acceleration (for your foot, I mean) (I'll prolly get use to it tho, it's not a big deal)

and I was wondering .. since there's no heat option for leather .. how it's gonna be in winter/summer ? I mean, won't the sits be too cold/hot ? (I never had leather on a car before, so forgive my ignorance lol)

thanks

What's to hate about the 3?

The ONLY thing I WISH the 3 had was a hatch release inside the car or on the key fob. But compared to Everythihg I love about this car, I'll live with it. Runs great, looks sharp, Quality build. Love it.

Back