Seeking advice...Please Help (Mazda3 2.2L Diesel 2015)

Hi everyone. I have had my car with Mazda's mechanic for a through check. Model: Mazda 3 2.2d Sport Nav Hatchback 2015
Current issues requiring repair (no dashboard light yet but noticable noise from inside the cabin):
- engine 'hunting', recommend removing timing cover to inspect chain and camshafts. Further issue might be present (£109 to repair if it's just stretched chain, if it's something else then.... possibly even 1k more I was told)
- oil level very high, recommened regen and decoke. Carbon found in intake system (£1363)
- fuel filter is old, recommend replacing (£61)
- recommend remove injectors to inspect the seals and condition (£47) - if the injectors are in bad state then the replacing would be too much. I'm happy to pay for them to be checked but my guess is - it will be pricey.
In general the mechanic have said the oil seals are blocked and full of carbon (unsure how much and how long I can drive it). Chain might be stretched but it also might be a different problem.
Now, here's the thing. When I rang a different none Mazda garage - they've told me I should sell the car because they worked on similar 2.2 diesel and this particular model is very problematic and after describing my problem they've said that they can never get to the bottom of the problem so it's more worth to sell it.
Last year I have replaced clutch and flywheeel. Done front breaks cheaply. I've got 72000 miles on clock. 2nd owner. Never had other problems. I own this car for 3 yrs and I've paid £8k for it.
Would you keep it and repair it?
I'm guessing if I try to sell it - the buyer will notice the problem since the car is making noise when on idle after 10 minutes (after it's warmed up). No dashboard lights or problems. I'm glad I took it to the Mazda dealership as they know their cars but are obviosuly super pricey so I could try none Mazda garage but is it worth it for a 9yr old car?
Would you try to repair it hoping for best or should I let go?
For my defense. I have been highlighting these problems to mechanics in the past. None of them could hear the noise and that started about a year ago. Now the noise is noticeable and the car vibrates when on idle. Sometimes vibrates even more to the point that the gauge arrow goes up and down.. I couldn't take it to the diesel garage that worked on my clutch and flywheel because they refused to take it explaining it's best to sell it
MOT until July.
I don't think I want to take a loan for a 15k newer model. I wanted to keep driving this one for at least a year before I have money to put down for deposit. The car is a joy to drive. I've traveled in it through all UK and never let me down. My current dilemma is whether to try to repair it and hoping nothing else will keep braking due to it's age and mileage or just sell it and get a very cheap car with good MPG (Atm as you can suspect, my car is drinking fuel like crazy).

Last edited:
Back