Overheating!! Coolant boiling in reservoir... Help!!

N0TyourMSP

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I was driving for about 20 mins on the freeway and when I exited I heard some weird sound coming from the engine bay and noticed that my temp gauge was shot up almost to the very top. I pulled over and checked it out the coolant was boiling like crazy ! I didn't see any leaks. Any clue what this could be ?

I was driving for about 20 mins on the freeway and when I exited I heard some weird sound coming from the engine bay and noticed that my temp gauge was shot up almost to the very top. I pulled over and checked it out the coolant was boiling like crazy ! I didn't see any leaks. Any clue what this could be ?

It is possible that you had to little coolant in the system which allowed it to get above boiling before the pressure raised in the system. You need to fill your system and allow the engine to warm up with the radiator cap off. looking down into the radiator you will be able to see the coolant level drop inside the radiator when the thermostat opens. Add more coolant at this time. If you did not get coolant everywhere when you opened the system it was defiantly under filled.

Last edited:
chances are either your thermostat is seized shut. and or maybe you water pump has failed. hard to tell when the water pump fails as if i remember correctly the timing cover covers it. but def check to see if your coolant is low. if its full and stays full and you dont see it circulating then, move on to either thermostat and lastly waterpump

It is possible that you had to little coolant in the system which allowed it to get above boiling before the pressure raised in the system. You need to fill your system and allow the engine to warm up with the radiator cap off. looking down into the radiator you will be able to see the coolant level drop inside the radiator when the thermostat opens. Add more coolant at this time. If you did not get coolant everywhere when you opened the system it was defiantly under filled.

Thanks man ill give it a try!

chances are either your thermostat is seized shut. and or maybe you water pump has failed. hard to tell when the water pump fails as if i remember correctly the timing cover covers it. but def check to see if your coolant is low. if its full and stays full and you dont see it circulating then, move on to either thermostat and lastly waterpump

Thank you ! Ill give it a try and ill let you guys know what happens!

this should go without saying, but make sure the engine is cool before removing the radiator cap and when you twist the cap you should hear/feel pressure releasing before the cap is able to be removed. like 1/4 turn to release pressure and another 1/4 so you can pull it off. i know multiple people who have been sent to the hospital because they removed the radiator cap from a hot engine and it sprayed up in their face.

in addition to the thermostat and water pump, a cap that isn't holding pressure will also cause boiling.

mine is suctioned into the rad, pulling it out is like trying to pull a plug out of the hose of a super powered vaccum cleaner.

Back