CX-5 Overheating...Any ideas?

Hello, first time posting here. So I have a Mazda CX5 which began overheating and I had noticed coolant spray over the engine and the coolant boiling over into the resovoir tank. Been to the garage and have so far had a new cap and thermostat put in. Drove the car for 24 hours and check engine light has come back on, the coolant is boiling over again and spraying on the engine. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• 20230707_103634.jpg
    20230707_103634.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20230707_103639.jpg
    20230707_103639.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 82
Telling us a bit about your CX would be helpful, model and year plus the current mileage.

Can you tell where the coolant is spraying from?

What's your oil look like?

This sounds suspiciously like a possible head/head gasket issue. Not good.

Telling us a bit about your CX would be helpful, model and year plus the current mileage.

Can you tell where the coolant is spraying from?

What's your oil look like?

This sounds suspiciously like a possible head/head gasket issue. Not good.
Hi thanks for replying!

It's a 2014 Mazda CX5 Sky Activ 2.2 diesel current mileage is 117,000.

It looks at though coolant is spraying directly from the coolant tank.

Oil looks OK from what I can see but I'm no mechanic but it doesn't look "milky" which I've read to look for!

Ah I really was hoping you wouldn't say that 🥲 from what I have googled online, all roads point to the head gasket!

Hi thanks for replying!

It's a 2014 Mazda CX5 Sky Activ 2.2 diesel current mileage is 117,000.

It looks at though coolant is spraying directly from the coolant tank.

Oil looks OK from what I can see but I'm no mechanic but it doesn't look "milky" which I've read to look for!

Ah I really was hoping you wouldn't say that 🥲 from what I have googled online, all roads point to the head gasket!

A diesel eh? My condolences.

Do you have something else to drive? I fear that you're going to need it while your CX is in the shop.

One of many. Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

It's a 2014 Mazda CX5 Sky Activ 2.2 diesel current mileage is 117,000
Not surprised for your problem, coolant spraying all over the engine bay from a Mazda 2.2L diesel! It’s a known issue especially for early 2.2L diesels.

Not sure where are you located but if you’re in Taiwan you got lucky as you can get a free engine with a lifetime warranty because the government has forced Mazda Taiwan to cover such problem for life after plenty of 2.2L owners protested to the government against such problem from Mazda.

Mazda in Australia also was pretty good to give you a free engine for such problem without warranty based on reports on this forum.

Contact Mazda in your region and try your luck.

Just bought a 2016 CX-5 2.2L Diesel, any advice for things to check or do?

One of the worst problems on Mazda’s SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel before using the AdBlue DEF is the sudden overheating without warnings. Some countries such as Taiwan, ROC has mandated (after many CX-5 diesel owners protested to the government) the Mazda to extend engine warranty on overheating for life which made Mazda Taiwan stopped importing the popular diesel vehicles into the country a couple of years ago.

Although there’re only a few discussions on Mazda’s 2.2D here, but here’re some discussions on the 2.2D from this forum:

In Taiwan ROC Ministry calls for Mazda to respond to Safety Probe

Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

2015 Mazda CX-5 engine replacement?

Need help with my CX-5 2014 Skyactiv 2.2L Diesel

2015 CX-5 2.2L Head Gasket Conundrum

CX-5 2016 Blown Head Gasket :(

2.2L CX-5 Diesel head gasket blown...DIY fix?

Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 2012 2.2L Diesel Coolant leak?

Recalled for potential issues with diesel engines between 2012-2018

Carbon deposits in the intake shutter valve (CX-5)

And this’s the latest wows on Mazda’s 2.2D with broken oil pump chain. The same CX-5 owner group who pushed Taiwan government for mandating lifetime engine warranty on overheating now is pushing the government to warranty this oil pump chain problem:

Oil Pump Chain Broken While Driving Mazda 2.2L Diesel

Finally, if you have time, you can read this long thread with 2341 posts and you’ll understand more about history and problems on Mazda’s 2.2D:

How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Not surprised for your problem, coolant spraying all over the engine bay from a Mazda 2.2L diesel! It’s a known issue especially for early 2.2L diesels.

Not sure where are you located but if you’re in Taiwan you got lucky as you can get a free engine with a lifetime warranty because the government has forced Mazda Taiwan to cover such problem for life after plenty of 2.2L owners protested to the government against such problem from Mazda.

Mazda in Australia also was pretty good to give you a free engine for such problem without warranty based on reports on this forum.

Contact Mazda in your region and try your luck.

Just bought a 2016 CX-5 2.2L Diesel, any advice for things to check or do?
Unfortunately I'm in the UK so no such guarantee or warranty here. So frustrating as I done alot of research before buying the car and I'm so surprised I never see anything about the major faults. Feeling like I'm going to have to admit defeat and get a new car! Seems to costly and time consuming to try and fix this issue from what I've seen! Thanks for all the info, alot for me to look through!

Unfortunately I'm in the UK so no such guarantee or warranty here. So frustrating as I done alot of research before buying the car and I'm so surprised I never see anything about the major faults. Feeling like I'm going to have to admit defeat and get a new car! Seems to costly and time consuming to try and fix this issue from what I've seen! Thanks for all the info, alot for me to look through!
If you’ve done a thorough research, even on this forum with very few Mazda diesel owners, against the Mazda 2.2L diesel you should be able to find plenty of info on this coolant spraying / overheating problem. It’s frustrating when people encounter such a major engine problem which would cost them an arm and a leg to fix. Based on reports here Mazda UK is pretty tough to give you a new 2.2L diesel for free with such problem. You should still try to contact Mazda UK for selling an engine not as reliable as expected and you never know.

The other alternative is to find a used engine to replace yours which usually is cheaper than replacing the head and head gasket in the US. Once fixed, sell it or trade it in for another car. From what I head in Europe Peugeot and Ford usually offer more reliable diesels.

Keep us posted.

Back