On Track to Purchase a CX5....then I saw a 2014 Jeep Cherokee

Renegade looks a bit cartoonish, but amusing. Aerodynamics are suspect. Probably expected to be priced low so it could be popular.

I think I read somewhere that target market is young, early 20s or so. The shape reminds me of the Honda Element and the Scion xB. Personally, not my favorite styling.

I think I read somewhere that target market is young, early 20s or so. The shape reminds me of the Honda Element and the Scion xB. Personally, not my favorite styling.

Yes, I don't think the target market is same as CX-5 or any other Mazda crossover/SUV.

The new Jeep Renegade sounds pretty good. Of course it's Italy built quality with Jeep engineering...looks are relative, but I think it looks pretty good.

2015-jeep-renegade_100458414_l.jpg

fail. looks like a smart car (or that hideous kia thing) hit repeatedly with an ugly-stick.

Chrysler has always made decent motors...but the WORST transmissions...and the whole 9 speed tranny problem on the new Cherokee is weird because it is a ZF made I think...of course 9 gears is insane...

Anyone who wants to throw reliability against the CX-5 will LOSE...except the CR-V, and that huge ass on that car is unforgivable...

My wife, daughter and I all drove the Trailhawk before the CX-5, and much preferred it's solid feel over the cheap, tinny and loud CX-5, but we settled for the CX-5 hoping that it will be more reliable. The owners forums for the Cherokee are full of transmission horror stories, so in retrospect, a rattling hood plus some of the other issues seem trivial.

My wife, daughter and I all drove the Trailhawk before the CX-5, and much preferred it's solid feel over the cheap, tinny and loud CX-5, but we settled for the CX-5 hoping that it will be more reliable. The owners forums for the Cherokee are full of transmission horror stories, so in retrospect, a rattling hood plus some of the other issues seem trivial.

Sorry to hear your CX-5 feels cheap, tinny and loud, maybe it's defective and in need of warranty repairs.

I have a CX-5 GT and it's solid and reasonably quiet. Of course any long stroke inline 4 cylinder lacks the refined sound and NVH of a premium V6 or V8, but the price and fuel efficiency differences are quite large. I have 2 premium V6 sport sedans so I make the comparisons frequently.

I don't think he means the sound of the engine. In my test drive, the Cherokee had noticeably less wind and road noise.

I don't think he means the sound of the engine. In my test drive, the Cherokee had noticeably less wind and road noise.

Thanks for clarification. I hope everything is okay with his CX-5. Check tire pressures when cold/before driving.

I am experiencing minimal road or wind noise with my GT model, we regularly cruise at 75-80 mph on roads with mediocre surfaces. Wind and road noise is easily competitive with compact premium sedans and GLK and MLs.

I don't care for the thrashy sound of most inline 4's including Mazda's.

Chrysler- ugh! Back in '88, my k car tranny crapped out and I was walking on on the freeway. When I got home, my brother asked where I was- he was given a pair of tickets, mid court, for the LA Kings opener with Wayne Gretzky and Roy Orbinson sang the National Anthem.
My brother later leased a Chrysler 300. At the end of the lease, it barely drove, but he managed to get it to the dealer-pos.
A few years ago, my rental car got upgraded to a new Caravan. So new that we had to wait for the lot jockey to remove the plastic.
It was out of alignment, pulling to one side, and the engine light came on after 30 or so miles, that's the odo reading 30!
Now that Chrysler is owned by FIAT, I have even less reason to trust their quality.

Sorry to hear your CX-5 feels cheap, tinny and loud, maybe it's defective and in need of warranty repairs.

I have a CX-5 GT and it's solid and reasonably quiet. Of course any long stroke inline 4 cylinder lacks the refined sound and NVH of a premium V6 or V8, but the price and fuel efficiency differences are quite large. I have 2 premium V6 sport sedans so I make the comparisons frequently.

My wife's 3 year old Golf TDi, after having been driven on the worst roads in the US (SE Mich) still feels like it was carved out of a single block of steel. Quiet, no rattles, no clunks. The CX-5 does handle great on smooth roads, but rough roads are painful.

My wife's 3 year old Golf TDi, after having been driven on the worst roads in the US (SE Mich) still feels like it was carved out of a single block of steel. Quiet, no rattles, no clunks. The CX-5 does handle great on smooth roads, but rough roads are painful.

Sorry to hear about your CX-5, maybe something is wrong.

My CX-5 GT driven on some of the worst roads on the West Coast (northern CA, mainly due to deferred maintenance and lack of fed/state/city/county spending) feels like it was carved out of single block of steel, and is every bit as solid as my current Mercedes C-class. Quiet, no clunks, no rattles. The CX-5 has a stiffer chassis than my Lexus IS, therefore driving rough roads the suspension does a good job.

Sorry to hear about your CX-5, maybe something is wrong.

My CX-5 GT driven on some of the worst roads on the West Coast (northern CA, mainly due to deferred maintenance and lack of fed/state/city/county spending) feels like it was carved out of single block of steel, and is every bit as solid as my current Mercedes C-class. Quiet, no clunks, no rattles. The CX-5 has a stiffer chassis than my Lexus IS, therefore driving rough roads the suspension does a good job.

I agree. I find the solid and firm chassis of the CX-5 gives it a better feel on torn up roads or gravel logging roads.

The "zoom-zoom" is not just for smooth pavement.

Back