oil pan gasket? less than $10? over $30?

:
03 MSP OJ
youre not suppose to use a gasket.

take off the oil pan clean the oil pan and windage tray matting surfaces, leave them spot less, wipe with wax and grease remover.
Buy the permatex ultra black right stuff 1minute gasket that comes in a small can that dispenses like whip cream.
Run a large bead all the way around the oil pan. Install the oil pan.
Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour before adding oil and starting the car. You'll have absolutely 0 leaks!

You wont have any clogging issues.

Last edited:
i might have that permatex black one in my storage box oO

i brought one when i was cleanning valve cover. forgot the color

youre not suppose to use a gasket.

take off the oil pan clean the oil pan and windage tray matting surfaces, leave them spot less, wipe with wax and grease remover.
Buy the permatex ultra black right stuff 1minute gasket that comes in a small can that dispenses like whip cream.
Run a large bead all the way around the oil pan. Install the oil pan.
Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour before adding oil and starting the car. You'll have absolutely 0 leaks!

You wont have any clogging issues.

Thanks I needed this info

When I removed mine it had a gasket on it so I when to auto store and bought the oem style one and replaced it. Never had a leak and didn't notice any thing going wrong with the oil/car

You can buy an oil pan gasket for a earlier FS- 626 & Probe- that will work fine, but the chemical sealant is the "right" thing to use. I used one (which was cork) but like cork always does, it began to leak, so I went back with Reinzenol chemical sealant. The BEST chemical sealant you can buy is either Toyota black sealant or Yamaha Yamabond.

I don't have experience with the Toyota or Yamaha stuff, but the Mazda gray RTV sealant is good too, never had a come-back.

I'd imagine the OE Mazda is just as good, but I have no experience with it.

I plan on doing this to my Protege5. I have a question though regarding using sealant as the gasket, since it is my first time. I see oil leaking out the side, not a lot, but some.
When you put the new sealant down onto the pan, do you run a bead around the bolt holes or just on the inside edge? The other question is how much and how far away from the inner edge do you put the sealant? I don't want to, or think it's good to have, the sealant getting squeezed out and dripping down the inside edge of the oil pan. I don't want to sound too stupid, but I don't how the sealant appears after the pan gets bolted up. Are you liberal with the amount of sealant?

Don't be too liberal, a little goes a long way. This doesn't mean skimp either, you need a nice, complete, even bead all the way around INSIDE the bolt holes. It will spread and squish out the sides and you can wipe this with your finger as you don't want excess silicone everywhere. Don't run the bead directly along the edge but it does need to be just inside the center of the flange.

Latest posts

Back