Will this shifter knob work?

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I don't mind the stock golf-ball shifter knob on my 2002 P5, but I've been keeping an eye out for the leather-wrapped OEM 2003 knob. Unfortunately, you've got to be pretty quick to nab one on the FS forums, because they sell fast.

This Sickspeed shifter knob is one of the less juvenile shifter knobs on eBay, and it's M10 x 1.25, like on the P5, but... the P5 isn't listed as one of the compatible vehicles. What would render it incompatible--thread depth?

I don't mind the stock golf-ball shifter knob on my 2002 P5, but I've been keeping an eye out for the leather-wrapped OEM 2003 knob. Unfortunately, you've got to be pretty quick to nab one on the FS forums, because they sell fast.

This Sickspeed shifter knob is one of the less juvenile shifter knobs on eBay, and it's M10 x 1.25, like on the P5, but... the P5 isn't listed as one of the compatible vehicles. What would render it incompatible--thread depth?

it'll fit

The person I bought my car had that knob on it. Definitely doesn't screw down as deeply as the stock knob.

Thanks. Does that mean there are exposed threads below the shifter? Did it use a locknut underneath the knob to align the gear indicator at the top, or did it just work out anyway?

Get a Momo shift knob, if you like one of their models.
They fit on any shift stick. Instead of screwing it on the threaded end, you cover it with a plastic cap (they include multiple ones, use the one that is the same diameter as your stick) and then the knob goes over it and is fastened with an allen key screw.

I don't remember it showing any threads. It just screwed directly on, no lock nut. It was too small for my liking so it was the first thing I took off my car.

Back