Oil dipstick tube bolt size and thread?

h2opololea

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hi All -

I know this is a pretty random and specific part, but I can't find the information anywhere, so I'm hoping someone can help.

My *old* mechanic managed to snap the ring off of my oil dipstick, probably because the bolt that holds the tube in place has gone missing. He failed to tell me either thing had happened and now I'm searching for a replacement bolt to hold the dipstick tube to the engine AND a new mechanic. I tried one bolt a few months ago, but it's already gone. Could be because I had the wrong size/thread combo. In any case I'll be putting the next one in with some LocTite, which should help hold it in place.

So, long story short, does anyone know what bolt size and thread pattern I need for the dipstick tube? The dipstick is still functional (just harder to pull up without the ring) so I'm trying to avoid buying the whole assembly.

Thanks!
Lea

Go to a wrecker...

I scored two hand fulls of fuses, bolts, plastic clips, wiper springs, and a complete set of lug nuts for 10 bucks....

Super common for the dipstick to snap off, I've done it myself. You can buy a new one for about $15 online. The bolt is an M6x1.25 (might be M6x1.0) thread IIRC, about 20mm long, you can get one from any hardware or autoparts store. Hopefully the threads aren't damaged from having the incorrect size bolt in them, then it will be a lot more difficult to fix.

As mentioned, the yellow ring handle gets brittle over time and will snap off. Scratch usually has some on hand that he can sell.

Back