Official 'Smoking Turbo' response from Mazda

not sure if its been posted here, but theres a new tsb dated 8/10/10 basically throwing out the 5w40 fix and replacing the turbo first time out like they should have. its on the big bad forum for those with sensitive eyes

one thing ive noticed is that not only is my turbo smoking again after 5w40 but its actually leaking oil onto my driveway. i was on vacation for a week and came home to this

oil.jpg

I've been running the 5-40 for 8k or so and it works at first and come time for the oil change after it's had time to shear I suppose it starts up again. I still say the PCV for those of us that cant get turbo's under warranty. Every one I know w/one doesn't smoke.

eh i've been running 5w40 for 20k miles now with no smoke. filling up with 5.5qts to the max line each time. i change it every 4000-5000 miles and have no problems or leaks.

eh i've been running 5w40 for 20k miles now with no smoke. filling up with 5.5qts to the max line each time. i change it every 4000-5000 miles and have no problems or leaks.

Is that all you've done or do you have the OCC w/additional PCV, idle up to what, etc? Thanks

Alright I'm out of options, after adding my DP it started smoking more often, I added a PCV to my SM OCC system and still some smoke. I'm going to try and up the idle just a tad more but it's looking like new turbo and I don't have the $. I have 5-40, PTP pill, SM OCC w/check and PCV valves, and idle set at 900 and still smoke! The car and I offically have problems and we haven't been together that long.

uh are you sure the turbo is bad, in many cases its just the turbo seals that need replacing...
i would HOPE thats the case.

Turbo is fine, inspected when DP was installed, either way it's still a turbo rebuild right?

PG turbo rebuild is $600. If you already smoked, installing the DP was like a hot chick sitting at the bar in a miniskirt--just askin' for it.

I have it saved on my desktop. PM me your email address and ill send it to you.

Im going to put my stock cat in the car tomorrow but leave the AEM intake on. The car does not feel right one bit. It studders badly. Its smokes like a hog and only has 18K miles on it. I think im about a day away from a full blown turbo. Ive heard a couple metal on metal sounds coming from engine bay and I can isolate whether its the turbo or the engine. Either way Im pretty sad. Only had car for a week now. What are the chances of warranty work with an intake system still in place.

Just noticed my '06 MS6 putting out a puff of blue/white smoke while into the boost after following it home from the dealership with my wife driving. It seemed to go away after the engine was fully warm, as if it only smoked when the oil was cold (higher oil pressure), then went away. I'm running non-synthetic 5W-30.

My warranty is up in a couple months, so if replacing the turbo is the solution it would be nice not to have to pay for the fix.

Tested the car according to the latest TSB. Ran the engine at no load up to 3k RPM for 1 minute and returned to idle. No smoke.

I plan on installing a catch can in the crankcase breather line from the crankcase to the intake manifold. Checked the valve cover breather line and turbo inlet pipe and there is not any oil pooling or coating the piping. Seems the baffling in the valve cover is designed well enough to prevent oil from getting into the intake/compressor/intercooler system.

Ive been sending it out via my email to others emails.

Im bringing my car into dealership wednesday to get the turbo replaced. (hopefully)
My car smokes like a ******* pig and only has 18K miles on it. Practically brand new. Would love to just slap a BNR turbo on the car tho. But for now a fatory replacement will have to do pending they actually fix the issue. For anyone getting the car fixed under warranty make sure they check and replace the spark plugs as well as O2 sensors as needed.

Back