Now with the CX-70 "revealed", what is everyone buying?

In other words, Mazda is not producing anything close to exciting in terms of engines, other than maybe the 2l na from the ND2 Miata.
How do you consider a 181hp 2.0L exciting? I have an 2017 Reflex Blue Mica ND1 with an Edelbrock SuperCharger, Shorty header, high flow mid pipe and freer exhaust. It puts out about 245bhp. Everyone that has driven my car stock and after the mods look at me and say "Kind of the way it should have come from the factory!" Nothing wrong with it stock for weekend cruisers, but give us some power.

Attachments

• DJI_0035.jpg
    DJI_0035.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 45
How do you consider a 181hp 2.0L exciting? I have an 2017 Reflex Blue Mica ND1 with an Edelbrock SuperCharger, Shorty header, high flow mid pipe and freer exhaust. It puts out about 245bhp. Everyone that has driven my car stock and after the mods look at me and say "Kind of the way it should have come from the factory!" Nothing wrong with it stock for weekend cruisers, but give us some power.
Nice pic. Where was it taken?

I wasn't talking about the hp, was talking about how high it revvs in the ND2. Also, there is a significant difference between the ND1 and ND2 engine from what I read and from people who drove both cars. I haven't.

Once you drive a car that can get our of it's own way, the lack of options in an underpowered car makes you want to blow your brains out.
This is exactly the situation that has me looking at a B58 40i. My wife drives (and loves) a 22 Civic - the CVT, road noise, and lack of power make the car aggravating to drive.

I'm down to the X5, MDX S Type, CX-70/90...in this order.

Nice pic. Where was it taken?

I wasn't talking about the hp, was talking about how high it revvs in the ND2. Also, there is a significant difference between the ND1 and ND2 engine from what I read and from people who drove both cars. I haven't.
Tail of the Dragon Boat Ramp (35.45161826823584, -83.81877240788728) just north of Fontana Dam on Mooshiner's 28 near the Tennessee/North Carolina line. A group of Friends go up early fall Thurs-Sun every year for some driving. It's a screen grab from a drone video.

And yes, the 2.0l revs free. My car redlines now at 7,300 rpm. As a daily driver I am almost never over 4,000rpm, but in the mountains or on track, I am almost never UNDER 3,000rpm. I test drove the ND2 when it came out and ordered the Edelbrock supercharger the next day. There just wasn't much difference between the ND1 and ND2 motors to make trading up worthwhile. And it was almost 3 years before they got forced induction on the ND2.

But it points to another Mazda screw up in the U.S Market. Mazda was going to drop the2016 ND Miata with the 1.5L. They had tweaked the top and bottom end of the motor for the application. It put out like 137HP. Mazda NA was consistent in their position they needed the 2.0L. By the time they decided to ship only the NA region with the 2.0, it was too late to tweak and tune it. Why there is the unofficial designation ND1 and ND2. ND2 only applies to North America for the 2.0L getting all the tweaking the 1.5L already got. Had they dropped it with the 1.5L it would have been dead on arrival.

Last edited:
The sad part is as it's a brand new model, they can't/shouldn't do heavy discounting!
But then, it really isn't a brand new model now is it? Which means the economies they are getting using the same basic vehicle for 2 different models. Though the lower sales the 2 models generate will be self-defeating in the longer term.

Either CX-60 comes to N.A. or we're all switching to X3 (2025 G45)
I don't like the lack of buttons so I'm not a fan of the direction the company (and the rest of the industry) is heading. If I were getting an X3, I'd get the MY24 that's fully cooked and has all the buttons and a shifter!

I don't like the lack of buttons so I'm not a fan of the direction the company (and the rest of the industry) is heading. If I were getting an X3, I'd get the MY24 that's fully cooked and has all the buttons and a shifter!
Since I still am getting email notifications... We test drove the 2024 X3 vs 2024 X5. We liked both, but the X5 (G05) is so much more polished of a product than the X3 (G01). They are supposedly fixing that in 2025. But, of course, it moves some physical buttons to the screen. But at least they keep a base set of controls at the bottom of the screen all the time. I would not do the base 2.0l 4 cylinder but for most people the 3.0L B58 conservatively rated at 375hp is somewhat overkill (X3 M50 - Used to be the M40i, but BMW which used "i"for injected is now using it exclusively for ELECTRIC).

Both are heavy at 4400lbs and 4900lbs respectively, but both feel light on their feet. The X3 just feels more nimble. She was afraid at 185" it might be too small though she worries the X5 might be bigger than she needs (downsizing from 202" Minivan). But she wanted something that was more comfortable for long highway trips.

The Big benefit of going with a PRE-LCI (Life Cycle Impulse) BMW is bimmercode. The LCI platform electronics are all locked down. A dealer or user used to be able to hard code settings preferences into the vehicle. The big one is that you could hardcode Auto Start/Stop to off and never have to be annoyed by it. To comply with U.S. regulations it has to be on and the user cannot be able to defeat it. All cars will lose the button to turn it off. In an LCI BMW now the only way is to use the personal MySport mode and set the engine, transmission and suspension for "comfort". If you just use comfort mode ASS is engaged.

Since I still am getting email notifications... We test drove the 2024 X3 vs 2024 X5. We liked both, but the X5 (G05) is so much more polished of a product than the X3 (G01). They are supposedly fixing that in 2025. But, of course, it moves some physical buttons to the screen. But at least they keep a base set of controls at the bottom of the screen all the time. I would not do the base 2.0l 4 cylinder but for most people the 3.0L B58 conservatively rated at 375hp is somewhat overkill (X3 M50 - Used to be the M40i, but BMW which used "i"for injected is now using it exclusively for ELECTRIC).

Both are heavy at 4400lbs and 4900lbs respectively, but both feel light on their feet. The X3 just feels more nimble. She was afraid at 185" it might be too small though she worries the X5 might be bigger than she needs (downsizing from 202" Minivan). But she wanted something that was more comfortable for long highway trips.

The Big benefit of going with a PRE-LCI (Life Cycle Impulse) BMW is bimmercode. The LCI platform electronics are all locked down. A dealer or user used to be able to hard code settings preferences into the vehicle. The big one is that you could hardcode Auto Start/Stop to off and never have to be annoyed by it. To comply with U.S. regulations it has to be on and the user cannot be able to defeat it. All cars will lose the button to turn it off. In an LCI BMW now the only way is to use the personal MySport mode and set the engine, transmission and suspension for "comfort". If you just use comfort mode ASS is engaged.
All excellent points! I rather enjoy the "smallness" of my X3 as it makes it easier to park and don't pay extra for having an "oversized" vehicle at most garages!

I also don't mind the ASS function and still have the button on my X3 since it's the second to last year before all X3s have the mild-hybrid.

Does anyone know if Mazda plans to ever go the MH route or having PHEV is "good enough"? Acura is a similarly small company that had a Sport Hybrid but were far too early in the game and gave it up (would have been a nice stop-gap to full EV right about now).

Does anyone know if Mazda plans to ever go the MH route or having PHEV is "good enough"? Acura is a similarly small company that had a Sport Hybrid but were far too early in the game and gave it up (would have been a nice stop-gap to full EV right about now).
The CX-70/90 is a 48V mild hybrid like the X5 and new X3.

Note, Acura is a subsidiary/division of Honda (like Cadillac's relationship to GM). They have a much larger company behind them, so have the opportunity to graft in technology developed elsewhere in the company (like Lexus using things originated from its parent, Toyota).

Note, Acura is a subsidiary/division of Honda (like Cadillac's relationship to GM). They have a much larger company behind them, so have the opportunity to graft in technology developed elsewhere in the company (like Lexus using things originated from its parent, Toyota).
Yes, the relationship is similar to Lexus/Toyota but not as tight as you think!
There are a number of things you'd think Honda would share with Acura but they don't. Wireless CP/AA was on Honda way before Acura, believe it or not!

Acura only has 4 cars at the moment and adding a 5th, their first EV! Mazda and Acura have more in common than you think!

Back