Not Tires agggaaaain!

KzA

:
2001 Yellow Protege Mp3-T
I ust got my car back from having some routine service done, and I've been informed that I need tires... AGAIN. I have about 66k miles on my MP3 (crazy, I know) and I feel like I have been through 4 sets of tires. Maybe It was 3 or 2.5 but I dont know, it just sucks.

What tires can you guys recommend that wont destroy me at the bank, will have GOOD treadlife, and will help to reduce some of the suspension\road noise that comes with owning a Pro?

Thanks for your suggestions fellas!

eh im on my 2nd set of tires in 30k miles... its apart of owning a car. I dont do burn outs or anything they just dont last even if they say 55k warrenty. Ill be happy if i can get 30 out of them... btw current tires dont even have 20k on them and they are the 30k and they are getting close to the wear bar already.

I believe the tires on the car now are a hodge podge of emergency tires purchases and were purchased locally. Definately not the tires I would have purchased if I had been able to take the time to research it..

I'm currently running stock RHs, and this car is used for 40 min commute to and from work every day. Im looking for value and tread life here, with performance taking a third seat. Sad I know, but this is where my semi grown up life has taken me :-(

I really like my Hankooks. I also liked my Goodyear Eagle GS3s but those are pricey. I hated the oem Bridgestones.

You might want to try increasing the inflation pressure in your new tires. I do that and got 38K on the Bridgestones. 40K on the Goodyears and TBD on the Hankooks. Rotate them much more frequently then recommended also.

I believe the tires on the car now are a hodge podge of emergency tires purchases and were purchased locally. Definately not the tires I would have purchased if I had been able to take the time to research it..

I'm currently running stock RHs, and this car is used for 40 min commute to and from work every day. Im looking for value and tread life here, with performance taking a third seat. Sad I know, but this is where my semi grown up life has taken me :-(

our commute is pretty close to the same.

hmm tireRack doesnt seem to have my size in the Hankooks...

Know any other good tire websites?

Try gripston.com (TX), that's were I bought mine from and at the time they had better pricing than everyone else.

Are u looking for summer, all season or winter tires.
For summer I'd recommend Falken 452 or more expensive Potenza RE011.
Then again I'm in Canada, otherwise I would recommend 1010tires.com

I really like my Hankooks. I also liked my Goodyear Eagle GS3s but those are pricey. I hated the oem Bridgestones.

You might want to try increasing the inflation pressure in your new tires. I do that and got 38K on the Bridgestones. 40K on the Goodyears and TBD on the Hankooks. Rotate them much more frequently then recommended also.

+1. I rotate my tires and get an alignment every 5k miles (only because I bought a lifetime alignment package). Even then, my tires with a 70k mile warranty are almost done after 25k miles :(

Generally, the ultra high performance tires available for our car in the stock size wear out pretty quickly (I got about 25k out of Falken Ziex ZE-912 and will get maybe 20k out of Toyo Proxes 4). If you want treadlife, you might want to use a non UHP tire, and so will have to use a tire size different from stock. I think Consumer Reports last tire review was in December 2009--I'd start there.

got 36,000 miles out of my nexens 2000. i think i can get 10,000 more. they're also way quieter than the stock dunlops. i don't do burnouts, but i am pretty rough on them. p.s. don't get the 3000's they grip better but they don't last long.

Well one of my tire3s blew out yesterday... So I have to scramble to try to replace them all tommorow...

Im gonna have a good time finding someone who stocks 205 45 R17

Is there a different tire width I can go with on the stock racing hearts that would be more readily available to find locally? thanks for any ideas

i wish i could get 15k out of a set of tires, i dont do burnouts but i do like aggresive driving

low profile tires suck

Is there a different tire width I can go with on the stock racing hearts that would be more readily available to find locally? thanks for any ideas

You can go with 215/45/17 without any issues. or 215/40/17 also. Toyo's are one of the best tires for combination performance & keeping road noise down. They have a little bit softer sidewalls. Use Tire Rack's data about tires (reviews, ratings, etc...), it's a good place to start. Try www.discounttiredirect.com - they include shipping in their prices, so you can't compare them with tire rack apples to apples.

Just got some 225/45/18 nexums on stock rims with 55000 mile tread life. Paid $102 each with mounting at Mavis tire. Replaced my Gy Gt's afte 25000 miles. These nexums are quite and give a nicer ride and for me who drives for work everyday this is the ticket. And they are mud and snow tires. I just have to remember to keep it under 145mph due to tires limit. But for this price I will roll with these bitches until I hand this car off to my kids.

for treadlife go with a passanger tire rather than a performance tire.

my pirelli's have 25k on then and are half worn...

Back