Yellowspeed coilovers actually good?

upsman

:
'00 JDM converted sedan
Hello,

Been a looooooong time since I've been on this forum. I still have my JDM Sport20 converted Protege and I need suspension for both my car and my brothers '03 P5.
I see that the Tokico blues are pretty much non-existant now.

Are the Yellow Speed coil overs actually good quality and riding? Looking at the Dynamic Pro Sports. 100% street driving but love to hit some on-ramps and curves with some "enthusiasm."

Thanks yall
Jeremy

Depends what your standard is. Personally, hard pass. No shade on people who have them and like them, but they're clearly in that tier of coilovers where companies just kinda slap kits together so that the specs are sorta-kinda in the ballpark and call it a day. I'm sure they're not the worst in that tier, but there's a reason they're half the price of anything with similar adjustability from a real suspension developer. Could go on (for longer than I think anyone cares to read) but that's the gist of it.

For the '03 P5, the only option I'm seeing that I'd go anywhere near is the KW V2.

Not sure what's available for your Sport20 converted Protegé, unfortunately.

Depends what your standard is. Personally, hard pass. No shade on people who have them and like them, but they're clearly in that tier of coilovers where companies just kinda slap kits together so that the specs are sorta-kinda in the ballpark and call it a day. I'm sure they're not the worst in that tier, but there's a reason they're half the price of anything with similar adjustability from a real suspension developer. Could go on (for longer than I think anyone cares to read) but that's the gist of it.

For the '03 P5, the only option I'm seeing that I'd go anywhere near is the KW V2.

Not sure what's available for your Sport20 converted Protegé, unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply.

I run KW v3 on one of my cars and they are great. I could see buying KWs for my car which has way less mileage and in far better condition. He and I agree it’s not worth putting KWs on his.
Wish they still made the tokicos blues.

My car is just a ‘00 protege with a JDM motor swap and front end conversion so anything that fits the protege will fit my car.

He and I agree it’s not worth putting KWs on his.
Sounds like what he needs is a Bilstein PSS. Shame they don't make one for this car.

I can see how KW might seem like overkill. It's just that all the alternatives seem to come from companies that either can't or don't do any real development work. Given the choice between that and overkill... IDK... It's not my money, but personally I'd take overkill every day of the week, twice on Sundays, and extra hard on special occasions. Especially for something as important as suspension. The alternative is half the money but one-fifth the product.

Looking further, it seems Fortune Auto makes a kit he might want to consider. I know little about them but they at least claim they make their own dampers, so there's at least some chance they're a cut above most in that slapped-together tier. I wouldn't bet they'd be anywhere near KW, let alone Bilstein or other big brands, but they might be worth a look.

Wish I could help more!

Last edited:
Back