Noises in the Mazdaspeed?

Any weird noises in the Mazdaspeed's suspension yet? clunks squeaks etc. How cold is it where you guys are?

Just curious.

And if you only drive on smooth freeways all day, I am afraid you can't answer this question, You really need to drive over some nasty bumps where the car sways left and right ( driver - passenger side ) and get them sway bars workin hard.

Last edited:
I have never been in a mp3, and the weather hasn't been great for spirited driving, but it seems to me that the "clunk" is still haunting Mazda. I haven't had time yet to figure out if the noise is the "clunk" or my shovel and box o' crap moving around in the trunk .... but I think its the former. When I picked up the msp there was an mp3 owner there. He was very upset we get a hidden antenna and he didn't. He said he has tracked down the "clunk" to be the rear sway bar hitting part of the frame. Apparently (he says ... I know s*** about this stuff) there is a little space or slack where the bar is mounted. He said he disconnected part of the bar to get rid of the clunk. That make sense??????:confused:

I remembered another. When I got the car, for the first half a day, there was a really annoying rattle coming from the dash or console. It was one of those high sounds that's hard to place, and happened everytime the revs hit a certain point. I was really pissed:mad: :wtf: . I thought it might be the keys, the ashtray, tried all sorts of things. Finally found it ..... there is a little ring around the base of the gear shift knob which likes to work its way loose, and then rattles. Hand tightening seems to fix it, although it has come loose once more since.:)

hmmmm, wonderful, so the MSP clunks as well...maybe. Digi what about yours......any noises as well?

How about squeaks while going over dips in the roads.....sounds like the struts squeaking as they compress over bumps.

I haven't heard any squeeks or anything ..... seems pretty tight overall. Nothing from the suspension, except maybe the clunk .... I'll be interested to see what Digi says.

MrMP3:

Jokes aside.....I'm thinking about it.

Then again, if I don't trade it for a MSP, and it'll be either because of the color or the clunk......I don't know what to do. Maybe a 6s if I save up more money.

:cool: :cool: Do NOT do it for the colour!!!!!:cool: :cool:

The orange mica really is fantastic, and no picture I've seen (and I've seen a lot) comes even close to showing you how it looks in real life.

If you guys with the MSPs get the clunk, I will be extremely happy. No, not because I'm jealous of your damn speed machine :))), but because with the increased number of complainers, Mazda will have to get off their asses and so some research. The more the merrier, and hopefully a quicker fix.

Chris

What's the deal with this clunk? I've been hearing a lot about it but I've never gone over to the MP3 forum to read up. I gather that its a rear sway bar issue. Are there any fixes to it or do you just have to deal with it?

You just have to deal with it.....we have, right Newf? I also agree with doomer_MP3....i too hope that the mazdaspeed has the same clunk so that it gets fixed faster....:cool:

Nothing to report noise-wise. I've just past 1,000kms. If anything the car is spooky quiet. The turbo can be heard as a distant high whine but only if you have the radio off (duh) and the windows done up. It's a really quiet car. The only real source of noise is if you have anything in the trunk that moves or bounces. Those noises really seem to come through.
Its tough to be definite. Once I figured out that there wasn't much mechanical to listen to, the stereo got cranked:D and its pretty much been that way ever since.

Well, i've only got 68 KMs on my car right now...
and 22 km of it was not put on by me..
But on my way home from the dealer, i went over a few minor highway cracks. Nothing big, just normal day-to-day roads.
nothing from the suspension what so ever. I think it's waay too early and new for me to even notice anything funny like that.
Although, i did occasionally, here the rear deck sub mount rattle when i went over a bump or two. But i think it's normal, due to weight on the rear deck mount. It's pretty heavy IMO.

this sounds good so far, but only time will tell. You guys need to have a lot more miles on them yet to tell. Driving over bumps that make the car sway left to right ( drivers - passenger) is the easiest way to hear it when it happens. Don't need to be really big ass bumps or anything. Just pulling over a curb at an angle so only one wheel goes over it at a time is a quick test.

When i see the car for the first time, I'm getting under it and comparing the bushings.

Thanks guys

Back