2023 CX-9 Popping Noise - Left Wheel Area

Hi All,

Been lurking through the forums trying to pinpoint a popping noise that is driving me crazy.

I have a new 2023 CX-9 that makes a very faint popping noise when pulling into my driveway or making a sharp U-turn. It is just one popping noise coming from the driver side wheel well (kind of sounds like a spring noise hitting metal). It's 100% reproduceable when you pull the car to the right before making the hard left.

Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it being a bad drive shaft, replaced under warranty but still has the noise. Been back and forth with the dealer and I mentioned the different TSBs to the service advisor (Cowl Bowls / Front Brake Squeak) but they don't believe those are the same noise. Cowl bowls issue usually have multiple popping noises and is especially noticeable going over speed bumps.

The service advisor actually had another 2023 CX9 on the lot and was able to reproduce the same noise under the same conditions outlined above. They now have have a tech note out to Mazda USA to see if they can help isolate.

It's been a few weeks waiting to hear back from the dealer but I wanted to check with other fellow CX9ers to see if anyone had a similar issue? I have a hard time believing this is "as designed".

take a can of wd40, put it in the wheel arch facing upwards to where the coil spring and the strut mount sit. spray a crap out of the top of the coil spring and drive around. i have this on my 2019 also. it's a common thing, i have to do this every year or so.

I once had this on my 2021 when it was new. More like a click but also on the driver side so it's probably the same noise. Only happened also in the driveway when the wheels are turned lock to lock. I don't hear it anymore.

I'm guessing perhaps the noise is made by tight tolerances somewhere on the mounts or struts that sort of even out over time and use.

Back