no engine temp gage in dash ?

The Entertainment software should silence the radio automatically when the Nav says something. It does it when it receives a phone call.
Navigation system acts differently from phone call. It uses only driver side speakers to speak, while the passenger side speakers are still playing the radio or music.

I like having the blue light. In winter my wife is notorious for turning the heat full blast the instant the cold engine is started. I try to explain that doing that acts like a radiator and will make it take LONGER for the engine to warm up and put out usable heat, but she simply won't believe me. Perhaps with the blue light I can now say "no heat until blue light goes off" and she'll get it. :D

I like having the blue light. In winter my wife is notorious for turning the heat full blast the instant the cold engine is started. I try to explain that doing that acts like a radiator and will make it take LONGER for the engine to warm up and put out usable heat, but she simply won't believe me. Perhaps with the blue light I can now say "no heat until blue light goes off" and she'll get it. :D
(lol) You just found a usage for me on that blue coolant indicator as my wife often is doing the same thing ...

(lol) You just found a usage for me on that blue coolant indicator as my wife often is doing the same thing ...

lol we used to argue about it on her old car... start the car, fan on Hi and temp on full hot immediately. I kept saying it will take LONGER if you do that when the needle is still on C! She was like "no it doesn't, it feels quicker to me". Yeah right. Meanwhile cold air was blowing on us. :p

One thing I can promise is that the blue light on the dash is worthless. Coolant temps probably aren't even over 120*f when it clicks off, and oil Temps are likely within 20*f of ambient, still. I have no idea what the purpose of the light is other than maybe to signify that the ecu is no longer running the fuel so rich?

The light goes out at 130f. I suspect that the engineers who designed the car thought it was a good idea.

I be leave that for the heat is on automatic the fan will not come on until the coolest warms up.
Didn't know that as we never use "Auto" mode on Automatic Climate Control System.

The light goes out at 130f. I suspect that the engineers who designed the car thought it was a good idea.

I highly doubt coolant temp hits 130*F that fast unless it is counting just what's in the engine before the thermostat opens.

This and a generic $10 sender (+ cheap gauge). You can put this adapter inline with any of the 5/8 heater hose on our car. Or you can get a T for the oem sensor and put a sender on it. Maybe for a water cooled turbo but even then..
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I highly doubt coolant temp hits 130*F that fast unless it is counting just what's in the engine before the thermostat opens.

My info is from a scan gauge I am sure it is engine coolent temp before the thermostat opens. I know I start to get heat at the same time.

Blue light, when starting up indicates engine not yet at optimal temperature. Your 2nd. point is covered (winter). As for over-heating, if and when it happens - check engine light would kick in. It's a legacy gauge and thus removed. Good to have it still: sure. Can we live without it? Absolutely.

hmmmmm.

I'm too lazy to go to the car and quote the page, however, if I remember correctly, it says in the manual that the blue light indicates the car rapidly heating up the catalytic converter in order to reduce harmful hydrocarbon emissions.

...but then again, it DOES happen to be a blue temperature gauge so...

Last edited:
Didn't know that as we never use "Auto" mode on Automatic Climate Control System.

We leave the setting at auto all the time. When it's cold out and the car is first started the fan runs very slowly. As the engine warms the fan increases in speed and after the blue temp light goes off you have heat.

Back