Newsflash! 6 Hatch Swallows 10" pipe whole!

Raynman

:
2004 Mazda 6S 5-door
Newsflash! 6 Hatch Swallows 10 ft pipe whole!

So I strolled into my local Home Despot, looking for five feet of a 3" ID PVC pipe that my lab needs for a test setup. As usual, there was no customer service in sight at the cutting service. Frustrated, I decided to just purchase the whole length of the ten feet pipe, and attempt to fit it into my 5 door.

Any sane person might have been daunted by the idea, but I've stuffed all manner of items back there. The box that my Bosals came in was a veritable coffin length of seven feet. I have put the split seats and slept back there for a night, quite an easy task given my short 5' 5" stature.

So I strode with the confidence of an insane genius, pushing my cart along to depths of strip mall Siberia where I usually park to avoid door dings. The isolation of the car amplified the attention that I received. Onlookers loading their SUVs and trucks, watched my march with astonishment and anticipation of sheer hilarity. I'm pretty sure I heard a yokel utter a guffaw, but yet I soldiered on to my 6 thinking "this is so crazy, it just might work!"

Boy, were they disappointed. In four steps and less than 2 minutes, Stella (my car's monicker) and I fit the whole ten feet length of pipe inside. I first popped the hatch door, and put the driver's side split seats down. Took down the back cover, and slid the pipe inside with about an inch to spare. It's a new personal record for length of pipe swallowed...er...by the car, I mean. Yeah...

With a smile on my mug, I drove home. I arrived home a conquering hero, but it was a hollow victory.

I had forgetten to buy a replacement blade for my circular saw. Humbled, I drove back to Home Despot. Pride cometh before the fall.

For all the naysayers, note the last pic with the ruler for scale. The ruler is 48 inches.

Attachments

• DSC04514 (Small).JPG
    DSC04514 (Small).JPG
    19 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC04515 (Small).JPG
    DSC04515 (Small).JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC04516 (Small).JPG
    DSC04516 (Small).JPG
    36 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC04517 (Small).JPG
    DSC04517 (Small).JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC04513 (Small).JPG
    DSC04513 (Small).JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Raynman said:
So I strolled into my local Home Despot, looking for five feet of a 3" ID PVC pipe that my lab needs for a test setup. As usual, there was no customer service in sight at the cutting service. Frustrated, I decided to just purchase the whole length of the ten feet pipe, and attempt to fit it into my 5 door.

Any sane person might have been daunted by the idea, but I've stuffed all manner of items back there. The box that my Bosals came in was a veritable coffin length of seven feet. I have put the split seats and slept back there for a night, quite an easy task given my short 5' 5" stature.

So I strode with the confidence of an insane genius, pushing my cart along to depths of strip mall Siberia where I usually park to avoid door dings. The isolation of the car amplified the attention that I was sure to receive. Onlookers loading their SUVs and trucks, watched my march with astonishment and anticipation of sheer hilarity. I'm pretty sure I heard a yokel utter a guffaw, but yet I soldiered on to my 6 thinking "this is so crazy, it just might work!"

Boy, were they disappointed. In four steps and less than 2 minutes, Stella (my car's monicker) and I fit the whole ten feet length of pipe inside. I first popped the hatch door, and put the driver's side split seats down. Took down the back cover, and slid the pipe inside with about an inch to spare. It's a new personal record for length of pipe swallowed...er...by the car, I mean. Yeah...

With a smile on my mug, I drove home. I arrived home a conquering hero, but it was a hollow victory.

I had forgetten to buy a replacement blade for my circular saw. Humbled, I drove back to Home Despot. Pride cometh before the fall.

For all the naysayers, note the last pic with the ruler for scale. The ruler is 48 inches.

Haha yeah people freak out when they see how much space is in the 5 door... i did the same thing at office depot when I bought my leather chair. ...the guy looked like he wanted to cry when i pulled my car up..and i shrugged it off and through th whole thing in there no prob

cool. i can get about 10 pieces of 8ft 2x6's in my protege, with only folding down the small half of the rear seats. the look on some peoples faces when you start loading is priceless.

Back