New to the forums!

Arai

:
Honda Civic
Hey everyone,

I am brand new to the forums and have enjoyed reading your posts lately! Some quick background - I am an ICU RN in Oregon and will be 30 at the end of this month. I'm here because I am planning on buying a 2017 CX-5 GT w/ all the packages shortly and would like some feedback!

For a few months now i have been researching crossovers/SUV's under $40K and landed on a few that i like: BMW X1, Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Santa Fe sport, and Kia Sportage. My girlfriend has a '16 Hyundai Tuscon that has impressed me with all of the features, overall ride, MPG, warrant, etc, and has set the bar of what I'm looking for. We live in central Oregon which gets snow, so I def want an AWD to get me over the mountains. I have driven a coworkers BMW x1 and was actually very disappointed in how small/uncomfortable it felt! When looking into Mazda's, it was impressive to me how much the CX-5 looks like the BMW x1 inside AND has a remote start! The command center, screen placement and overall styling were identical. So, a few days ago i drove the brand new '17 cx-5 in eternal blue equipped with every package and was absolutely blown away! Very impressed with the quality, MPG, feel and ride of the car. Compared to the Tuscon, the braking felt sluggish but the engine had decent pickup and overall road noise was nil. Features like the HUD and safety bells/whistles were all in line with other SUV's. Of course, the car itself is gorgeous in blue.

Anyways, I know there have been a few posts lately on test drives/purchases of the '17's, but my experience was odd. I had to drive over 60 miles to the closest Mazda dealership where i was greeted by a new salesman (<2 weeks). I couldn't stop looking at the eternal blue on the '17, so we went for a test drive on that. I seemed to know way more than him about this car, which was fine, but he punted me to the next guy (who wasn't financing) who wouldn't even negotiate. He told me that the invoice is $32,4xx and the dealership wouldn't budge. I understand this car literally just hit the dealership lot, but I have never heard of dealership employee not even attempting to get someone in a new car. He didn't even take my info and said "you guys better get over the mountains before too late." I left with my girlfriend pretty frustrated and confused later realizing I guess Mazda doesn't need to negotiate because maybe these cars sell themselves?

So if anyone has feedback for pricing that would be great! I have read about people getting $1k off MSRP. Also, in Oregon, we don't have sales tax and the dealers jack up the price. So,

1) What would be a reasonable price to expect on a fully loaded '17 GT w/ remote start? Asking price is $33,465 (w/out remote start)

2) How much would a good extended warranty cost and what does it cover?

3) Would it be worth waiting until end of the summer or fall to buy a '17 if i were to expect a price drop?

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks

Feedback? Ok. Buy it! :D

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't have a 17 (16) but I did an enormous amount of research. Drove the Subaru Crosstrek first. Didn't know until then that it was more of a CX3 competitor. Too small. It was out. Drove Honda CR-V. I hate Honda but since it's the best seller I had to at least drive it. It wasn't bad and I didn't scratch it off the possibles....Until I drove the Mazda next. CR-V was right off the list after that. Jeep Cherokee was next and made the list. Came down to those 2. Jeep reliability was sketchy in 15-16. I didn't like the driving position. Didn't like the "Infotainment system" (I really hate that word). And the Mazda had 0% + AWD was cheaper and we'll reviewed on the Mazda. Even though the Jeep had features I wanted that were missing on the Mazda, like...Check this out: heated steering wheel, reclining rear seats, AC vents in the rear *ahem...I still bought the Mazda.
I think you'd be happy with one. Especially the refined 17.

Last edited:
Welcome to the party! As the current owner of your top 2 picks I feel almost obligated haha...Although the x1 is previous gen id certainly say the Mazda is way more bang for the buck (duh) and the one I'd choose to own- i got a screaming good lease deal on a loaded rwd x1and couldn't resist. Halfway through the term I think i should have kept my 6mt 128 coupe. I like the rear doors and the car is plenty fast, can drift (yeah big kid) and has a solidity to it the Mazda can't match but the ride is very firm even without the rfts and bmws electric steering is just bad. The bmw is fun to date but the novelty wears vs. the cx5 which my fondness of has only grown over time. If you're in the mts at elevation frequently you may want for a bit more juice however and should consider a turbocharged option like the x1 or maybe the kia. If not the cx5 is a great choice. As for deals I can't say but waiting would absolutely be my advice on the 17. If I needed a car within the next 2-4 months I would buy the loaded 16.5 gt and take the big discount. The new car is nice, interior and features are improved but for me the 16.5 gt tech wants for nothing (maybe remote start but so does the 17) and imho is really more of a heavy refesh than truly all new. This is not really a bad thing and the new one is priced well i just don't think it did enough for me to get excited about- forthcoming diesel engine notwithstanding..good luck, welcome again, and keep us posted on your decision.

Last edited:
Don't confuse dealership experience with brand.
First off I would never buy a Mazda if a dealer wasn't under 30 miles from me. More so for a 17.
Second, if you go in a dealership 1 hour before closing, they may not invest in a deal since you won't buy That day.
Working over email works well for getting a deal.
If you can wait 5-8% discount off msrp is normal when demand cools. I think 2-3 months

Why wouldn't you buy if a dealer isn't close? Why more so because of the 17?

Warranty work. 17 is biggest upgrade on cx5 since it's launch year 2013. Ask any 13 early adopters and they will confirm. 13 owners had a good amount of issues.

13 was brand spanking new though. 17 is not. I'd bet she'll be more reliable then 16...Not less. Nothing is new tech. CX-9 has all those features.

Except heated steering wheel. I think this is the first Mazda with that.

Warranty work. 17 is biggest upgrade on cx5 since it's launch year 2013. Ask any 13 early adopters and they will confirm. 13 owners had a good amount of issues.

Can you not go to any other mazda dealer and get warranty work done if needed? Why would you need to go to the original dealer?

Sent from my cell phone

You can go to any. I think he's just saying if no dealer is within 30 minutes, don't buy. Don't agree. Unless you're buying a jeep. LOL

Hi Arai, I am in the same boat. I live in Hillsboro, Oregon and you can ask quotations from several dealerships over here. Since, cx-5 is new and supply is limited initially, prices are bound to be high but you can definitely get close to 2k less than sticker price. I am also looking at an SUV in $40k range and narrowed down on X1 and cx-5. BMW is notorious for high maintenance and I loved the drive feel of a Mazda(6GT and CX-5 GT).

Welcome to the forums!

The 2017 CX-5 is only a week old at the dealer, and there is no desire to discount off of MSRP. When the supply lines are better filled, the old 2016.5's are sold, Mazda starts advertising the 2017's, and some 2017's have sat on a lot for over 30 days, then you will see some more movement from MSRP.

Compared with other makes, Mazda as a whole, does not do as many discounts or rebates, as their vehicles are typically priced pretty tight to begin with. Unlike GM or others advertising 20%OFF, $5000 back etc..

Having a local dealer is nice, my nearest is almost an hour away...

Last edited:
From OP's list I'd put 2017 Mazda CX-5, CPO 2016.5 CX-5, and used X1 on my wife's list if she were to be shopping for a small SUV right now. Second thought, scratch the X1. All the ones I see on the road come with halogens plus BMW's turbo. BMW engines are mechanically really good. Their electronics suck. The electronics associated with their turbos....yeah something I don't want to deal with. Probably replace the x1 for a used x3 with the 3.0 engine instead.

I should have said - I would not have bought most brands if the dealer was so far. If I could time travel maybe I would buy certain generations like 98-2002 Corolla etc. that are now known to be legendary.
I would not even buy a Honda now considering what has happened over takata etc. Imagine a single oil change is 5 hour affair - my time is more valuable.

Welcome to the forums!

The 2017 CX-5 is only a week old at the dealer, and there is no desire to discount off of MSRP. When the supply lines are better filled, the old 2016.5's are sold, Mazda starts advertising the 2017's, and some 2017's have sat on a lot for over 30 days, then you will see some more movement from MSRP.

Compared with other makes, Mazda as a whole, does not do as many discounts or rebates, as their vehicles are typically priced pretty tight to begin with. Unlike GM or others advertising 20%OFF, $5000 back etc..

Having a local dealer is nice, my nearest is almost an hour away...

This. Best I got off mine was about 5% off MSRP which was pretty typical at the time. Mazda is more niche than say Toyota, or GM or whatnot and as such run much tighter pricing.

Also, I'd imagine a better deal can be had with GT's as opposed to Tourings since most CX-5 buyers seem to be buying GT's.

2017's just barely hit. Give it some time. The dealership where I bought mine from still has like 90+ 2016.5's. No 2017's yet. I'd imagine when they get a few, there is not going to be much of a discount to be had until those 2016's are gone.

In the US, the heated wheel is available first on the 2016 CX-9

I actually thought it was and did check before I said that: nope. Not available in the 2017 either. Just checked now, it's also not on the 3. So it does look like the first US Mazda to get it.

Back