New strut bar time

hyperboarder

:
2002 MP5
After putting tons of GT Spec stuff under the car, I've decided it's high time for a better front strut tower bar. I need recommendations, I'd like to do it with as little bay modification (relocation of stuff) as possible, but I have time and a little bit of know how. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Geoff

hyperboarder said:
After putting tons of GT Spec stuff under the car, I've decided it's high time for a better front strut tower bar. I need recommendations, I'd like to do it with as little bay modification (relocation of stuff) as possible, but I have time and a little bit of know how. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Geoff

the only one thats gonna give you a bolt on affair is the mazda bar - all the other require some kindof trimming / relocating / fabricating to properly getit installed, especially sinceyou have a protege5 with (i assume) cruise control. it the cruise control location that causes all the head-aches.

sorry, brain fart cause its too early - if you have a pro5, you already have the mazda bar

i say go three point, screw the easy install. since you have all gtspec stuff under the car, why not go gtspec above, too?

well, if you've put GT Spec under the car, doesn't it make sense to put it elsewhere? that's what i'd do...here are examples (mine, daedalus', and hawaiianmsp, he has a Cusco strut bar)

Attachments

• IMGP0734.JPG
    IMGP0734.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 279
  • engine_bay14.JPG
    engine_bay14.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 293
  • daedalus.jpg
    daedalus.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 272
  • sss13.jpg
    sss13.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Black_Protege_5 said:
I have a CP Racing one in sunlight silver I want to trade for stock + cash.

PM sent

Britt

Black_Protege_5 said:
I have a CP Racing one in sunlight silver I want to trade for stock + cash.

How much cash?

And to everyone else, thanks a bunch, appreciate the input, any place I can get a three point? Or a great deal on a GT Spec?

Around 110 cash plus stock. It is still basically brand new. But I might be willing to work something out. Let me get some pics first this weekend and I will post them up.

I have the corksport bar, which looks roughly the same as the gtspec one.

Here's what you have to do to get it to fit:

take a hammer to the bracket that holds the cruise control on to flatten the part that will be sandwiched underneath the strut tower brace. Do the same for the battery tie-down bracket. Bam, done.

Do I get a cookie?

lol I can take a pic of my strut towers to show you what I had to do.

Probably a stupid question, but here goes:

Why would you want to remove the stock strut bar for a GT spec one?

Is there a sinificant improvement in stiffness? Or is this purely for asthetics?

there is a difference. The stock one does allow for some play due to the many contact points. It flexes more than you think under hard conditions.

I just did mine for the look.. my corksport one has a polished bar and black brackets.. I was trying to get rid of the red under my hood :)

i vote for a 3 point... i have one and it made a HUGE difference...

the gtspec would match the ksports... i had a gtspec on and its the exact same color as my ksports... but now that i have the cp, omg its night and day. such a wonderful bar. im considering making a few kinda like it...

Back