New MSP owner but not so new car

benben84

:
2003 Black Mica MSP, 2007 CWP CX-7, 2004 JBP WRX
I just learned tonight that I bought my car from a guy with the screenname: Emode. I searched the entire forums and found everything he has posted and come to find out that the car has not had the greatest life. The night I bought the car I threw a rod in it so it's life is still not going so good. Now that I'm forced to get a built motor I'm going to give this car the life it should have! I was never really into MSP's but the first time I drove one it totally changed my mind. I got a really good deal on the car so I have a long ways to go before I spend more than the car books for. I dont know if all you guys knew Emode but I would like to hear anything you have to say about him, the car, or just anything. The more I know the easier it is to bring this car back to glory. If anyone is near the central Wisconsin area and wants to help me with a motor I would love it! I dont know how hard it is to take the engine apart but any suggestions would be appreciated. Well I better get some sleep before I have to go straight to work.

Well good luck with the car I personally never spoke to emode or knew anything about his car but im sure people on here did. Keep that MSP ALIVE !

benben84 said:
I just learned tonight that I bought my car from a guy with the screenname: Emode. I searched the entire forums and found everything he has posted and come to find out that the car has not had the greatest life. The night I bought the car I threw a rod in it so it's life is still not going so good. Now that I'm forced to get a built motor I'm going to give this car the life it should have! I was never really into MSP's but the first time I drove one it totally changed my mind. I got a really good deal on the car so I have a long ways to go before I spend more than the car books for. I dont know if all you guys knew Emode but I would like to hear anything you have to say about him, the car, or just anything. The more I know the easier it is to bring this car back to glory. If anyone is near the central Wisconsin area and wants to help me with a motor I would love it! I dont know how hard it is to take the engine apart but any suggestions would be appreciated. Well I better get some sleep before I have to go straight to work.

wow that really sucks.....i would be so pissed if i bought a car and it broke that first night.

Welcome! another Wisconsin Owner!!! GREAT!!!!! n e ways i know how you feel cuz that happened with my last car aswell. I dont know if i woulda rather found out about the old owner of just never know what harsh punnishment my car went through. but i guess if you are planning on keeping the car for a while then i think it is good to know what happened with it. I would love to do some engine work but i dont thin k i will have the time to drive at all or have any time to work on it so i am outa the picture. but good luck and i would sure hope that we, as in all wisconsin guys and gals, can get a meet going sometime!

Damn man thats rough well welcome to the forums and hey just go forged on that thing the way it should have been from the beginning!! I have had the same s*** happen to me with a 93 MR2 Turbo i had it for 3 weeks then threw a rod. But hey if it wasn't for that i wouldn't have an MSP now (drive) Good luck on getting it back up and running because then you will really enjoy it!!

emode was/is a great guy, the few times that I met him. I know many people on the Wisc. and IL boards can vouch for him, but again, you may want to post there too...

Tough luck on the engine though.

benben84 said:

You bought a car with like 4k in mods. What, do you think he was driving miss daisy in it. Atleast your going forged now, because you would have been sooner or later. Good luck

wow dude, that sux. good luck with the repairs. these cars are amazing to drive. once its up and running on a built engine you'll have a complete blast!!!

Since the motor is coming out I am going to install a lighter flywheel and stage 3 clutch. Im thinking I should be close to 280-300whp when I get the motor reinstalled and have it tuned. With this amount of power should I be going with a better more complex system than the DSM AFC? Like maybe the AEM EMS?

consider the microtech - the primary reseller of them, turfburn, is in wisconsin and has had excellent results with it as engine management.

let me know what parts you need, i can pretty much get them all :D

i can give you a little history on the car if you want we can chat later.

You definetly dont need the aem! I would go with either the microtech or a mpi tuner. Both are great units

Taking apart an engine is easy. It's putting it back together again, and having it run properly, that's not that easy...

Personally, I hate "cracking a long block" (as I call it). Either stick with stock internals, or be prepared to spend every penny you have on aftermarket internals. I hear so many stories of "blew the motor and put in better pistons, blew the motor again and put in better rods, blew the motor again and put in better {whatever}.". Get a low-milage stock longblock, I prefer not to mess with the quality of oem.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not really knowledgable on the Mazda engine line. But does Mazda have an engine like the 3S-GTE, 2JZ-GTE, SR20DT, etc? I've heard of people getting 400 hp from a 3S-GTE, and 600 hp from a 2JZ-GTE, on stock internals... with properly managed fuel-air ratio (that's the toughy, and usually can't be done with oem electronics).

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

benben84 said:
I dont know how hard it is to take the engine apart but any suggestions would be appreciated.

mspeed101 said:
You definetly dont need the aem! I would go with either the microtech or a mpi tuner. Both are great units

Cool, I was just talking to someone about the AEM EMS today and he said he has heard a lot of not so good things about it. It's hard to install, hard to learn, hard to tune, etc. I'm going to look into the Microtech and Mpi tuner. Thanks!

BTW, I'm keeping all the mods except for my boost controller, I want an EBC.

Just to let you know I took good care of that engine. Ran it for like 45k with varying boost levels and she never gave me a problem. You got a damn good deal on the car, and should have read up on it before just mashing the gas, probably had the boost too high. I wish I could have helped, but I had to sell the car to pay for rehab, which im in right now. Herion is a hard as drug to kick, and I had to reevaluate my life and get my self right, even if it meant giving up my baby. Thanks to everyone who was my friend from these forums, you guys helped me out in many aspects of my life, Ill never forget you guys. Mazdateam for life.:)

jumping in to the last post...
dude, is so ******* badass that you wanted to be out of drugs, even if it meant getting rid of your car....
not boost ever beats that!!! your like a hero for many addicts...including mod addicts, drug addicts, booze additcs etc.

i wish you the best of lucks and keep it...after rehab, you can get another msp...is not like they're gone forever!!!

have fun.....

sbagdon said:
Taking apart an engine is easy. It's putting it back together again, and having it run properly, that's not that easy...

Personally, I hate "cracking a long block" (as I call it). Either stick with stock internals, or be prepared to spend every penny you have on aftermarket internals. I hear so many stories of "blew the motor and put in better pistons, blew the motor again and put in better rods, blew the motor again and put in better {whatever}.". Get a low-milage stock longblock, I prefer not to mess with the quality of oem.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not really knowledgable on the Mazda engine line. But does Mazda have an engine like the 3S-GTE, 2JZ-GTE, SR20DT, etc? I've heard of people getting 400 hp from a 3S-GTE, and 600 hp from a 2JZ-GTE, on stock internals... with properly managed fuel-air ratio (that's the toughy, and usually can't be done with oem electronics).

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

Yeah the BP or FE3 are both rock solid...have fun fitting either engine in a BJ chassis though

Latest posts

Back