New LED Lights...Tell me what you think!

So tell me before I order. Is there some sort of wattage rating. I see 6 dollar and 20 dollar lights and they seem to be separated by wattage.

if you are on v-leds.com the more expensive LEDs probably have more diodes on them to make it brighter. as for wattage im not sure unless they are incan?

hahah yeah no problemo! pop the hood and u can easily turn the Factory bulb housing and replace the yellow bulb with any 194 or 2825 type (194 and 2825 mean the same thing) LED bulb found on ebay, i got a pair for $6 free shipping!

you can get any color but i choose blue because my cx-9 is Stormy Blue and it looks great on it!! would like to see them on other cx-9 colors with different color LEDs :)

tip: they have a - and + connectors so if they don't work the first time you installed, just reverse the connection.

btw the Step/Courtesy lights on the passenger and drivers door along with the rear license plate bulbs, and front side marker bulbs (my blue ones), all share the same type of bulb. 194 or 2825

So what was the design of the bulbs that you used? Did you have a simple with 5 LEDs or 9 LEDs or even something like the 25 LED models on this site?
http://autolumination.com/194.htm

I don't really want to blind me or the other driver either!(five-0)

Thanks

So what was the design of the bulbs that you used? Did you have a simple with 5 LEDs or 9 LEDs or even something like the 25 LED models on this site?
http://autolumination.com/194.htm

I don't really want to blind me or the other driver either!(five-0)

Thanks

i used type 194 wedge LEDs with 6 diodes. looks exactly like pic in the link below... for me the brightness is perfect not to strong but enough to notice it from afar and not blind. i think LEDs like the 25 diode LEDs would for sure blind on-comming traffic...

ill try and take more "in street" pictures to give you guys a better picture.

http://www.flipflopled.com/images/194_6LED.jpg

randy00,
They look nice, but I hope you don't get a ticket for them.
Are those DoT approved?

randy00,
They look nice, but I hope you don't get a ticket for them.
Are those DoT approved?

Ditto. I know that in CA you can't have red or blue at the front of the vehicle. Only law enforcement can show those colors. Here in MN blue lights and pretty much all aftermarket lights are illegal unless you are operating something like a snowplow. I agree these lights look cool. But you are probably asking for trouble.

yeah i hope i dont get pulled over. i read somewhere that in ontario no vehicle can have a flashing blue light while operating, only snow plows. but mine stay lit all the time so i dont really know.. here in ontario sketchy laws and rules like these are within the cop itself to judge sometimes.. if i get pulled over for a warning or something ill tell you guys lol

Picked a pair up. Besides having to remove the radiator overflow, it was a piece of cake.
Looks good as well.

Are we thinking they are street legal though? I got my pair, but am hesitant to use them on the road and get pulled over. Ceric got me worried about the DOT approval.

On the side note, has anyone swapped out the rear license plate lights? I've tried to follow the directions in the owners manual for taking off the cover, but it doesn't want to budge...and I don't want to break it. Is there a trick?

SeCX-9,
I am sure you would be 99.9% OK on the road.
I also modified lights on my old BMW before. Just to raise awareness of DOT issue.
You make your own decision.

If you read the fine prints carefully, you would see that most of these after-market lights are not DOT approved (cost $$$ to get approval).
hint: fine print-> "for offroad use only"

Are we thinking they are street legal though? I got my pair, but am hesitant to use them on the road and get pulled over. Ceric got me worried about the DOT approval.

On the side note, has anyone swapped out the rear license plate lights? I've tried to follow the directions in the owners manual for taking off the cover, but it doesn't want to budge...and I don't want to break it. Is there a trick?

yeah i swapped out my license plate lights to hyper white. they look sick. as for the removal, you need pop out the light so it hangs on the cable, then when its loose hanging from its socket, just take a flat head screw driver and disconnect it with the wiring then change the light bulb afterwards in your hands.. ill post pics after sry im at work

SeCX-9,
I am sure you would be 99.9% OK on the road.
I also modified lights on my old BMW before. Just to raise awareness of DOT issue.
You make your own decision.

If you read the fine prints carefully, you would see that most of these after-market lights are not DOT approved (cost $$$ to get approval).
hint: fine print-> "for offroad use only"
It's not a matter of money, but legality.

various governmental bodies have had definitive rules on the books for a good while now...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting
or more specifically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Motor_Vehicle_Safety_Standard_108

yes i know! do not follow the instructions in the owners manual or you will snap off the platic.. when you take it out you will see that the owners manual's instructions is very inaccurate.. to pop it out, theres a lid on the inside of the trunk door that pops off easily with a screw driver, put ur arm in their and pop out the light while wiggling it with your other hand from the outside. when its loose do not pull it as the wiring is very short. thus causing the housing to just hang from the socket. take a flat head and disconnect the wiring from the housing making sure that the wiring does not fall back inside... when u have the bulbs and housing in ur hands instead of prying what the owners manual said to pry, reverse it and pry the other side sticking the flathead between the clear plastic and bulb housing.

when u get that to work, and the bulb does not turn on, simply reverse the connections. hope this helps..

Can any of the inside lights be changed to the color LED's such as the floor lights near the door sill?

Back