New 2017 CX-5 Revealed

I definitely like the new CX-5 and the future diesel option is intriguing but I still plan to keep my '15 regardless. A replacement of my '15 with a '17 at this point would probably be a result out of my control like a total wreck.

I definitely like the new CX-5 and the future diesel option is intriguing but I still plan to keep my '15 regardless. A replacement of my '15 with a '17 at this point would probably be a result out of my control like a total wreck.

Exactly my sentiments. It's a great vehicle. this isn't the kind of car you trade every year to get "the new one".

I would trade my 2016 if the interior approaches the same level of comfort as the CX-9 Signature. I sat in one today in the dealership showroom when getting my car inspected - very, very nice vehicle.

Did you like the center console's height? To me, it seemed like it's to tall and bulky.

I would trade my 2016 if the interior approaches the same level of comfort as the CX-9 Signature. I sat in one today in the dealership showroom when getting my car inspected - very, very nice vehicle.

The CX-9 is nice and everything you would like to see the CX-5 have.

Hello friends,

regarding new CX-5 I have mixed feelings:

New headlights/taillights - looks more aggressive
Chrome/metal inserts in lower portion of the door frame - nice touch
lumbar support for both driver/passenger (finally!)
Memory seat function for driver, also like design of new seats :)
Air inlets at the end of central console (don't know why it took so long to add it)
Color display in instrument cluster (a la cx-9)
Floating trapezoid shape display ( a la BMW), much nicer comparing to Mercedes "ipad" one
Steering wheel heater
Speakers in A-pillar
Upgraded MRCC now works from 30-200km/h, unlike previous one 30-145 km/h. In Europe this is a big deal, as most highway speeds are in 150-180km/h range
Improved sound insulation, especially thicker windows

DON'T LIKE
like many mentioned here, lower portion of front bumper looks ugly! "old' CX-5 was far more aggressive imo
No large panoramic roof, only small sunroof
No matter which seat color you choose, roof lining is always in white (you can't get dark grey or black)
Still strange tire dimension 225/55/19 instead of "normal" and more common to find 235/55/19 (can be fitted to OEM wheels)
No 360 camera (like in Nissan Qashqai / Rogue in US)
Still "only" 6-speed automatic (where Mercedes fwd biased GLA has 7DCT, new fwd biased BMW X1 8-speed)
.... probably I forgot to add some more things

Generally speaking, this seems more like an upgrade (3rd in a row) than "completely new and redesigned" CX-5. Or maybe they were just too cautious/ afraid to go more radical.

Cheers,
Miki

Hello friends,

DON'T LIKE
like many mentioned here, lower portion of front bumper looks ugly! "old' CX-5 was far more aggressive imo
No large panoramic roof, only small sunroof
No matter which seat color you choose, roof lining is always in white (you can't get dark grey or black)
Still strange tire dimension 225/55/19 instead of "normal" and more common to find 235/55/19 (can be fitted to OEM wheels)
No 360 camera (like in Nissan Qashqai / Rogue in US)
Still "only" 6-speed automatic (where Mercedes fwd biased GLA has 7DCT, new fwd biased BMW X1 8-speed)
i

I'm thinking that many of these could be added in forthcoming model years.

I will say this. My wife's Mazda has superior rear sensors to my M4; the cross traffic feature isn't even offered, I also prefer the Blind Spot Warning placement of the Mazda over my car as well.

Last edited:
Adding more and more speeds to the gearbox just means it will be far more expensive to replace if it ever fails.

My mom's 2007 Camry V6 XLE w/ 6AT had to get the gearbox replaced, and they paid the dealer $6,000 to do it!! (nailbyt)

Did you like the center console's height? To me, it seemed like it's to tall and bulky.

I liked the height of the center console - the layout of all the features seems very logical to me. IMO Mazda really has done a nice job with their design work.

Adding more and more speeds to the gearbox just means it will be far more expensive to replace if it ever fails.

The skyactiv engine has a broad, flat torque curve and it really doesn't need more speeds.
The skyactiv is very efficient at various RPM's so unlike other (more primitive?) engines it doesn't need to always be at 1200RPM to get good fuel economy.

The only place it would really benefit from more gears would be the brochure section, where the number of speeds would be higher than 6.

Maybe the diesel could benefit a bit from more gears, or maybe the 2.5L could use a higher overdrive? But the 2.0L definitely has enough gears as-is.

Last edited:
Bolded are wins in my book. The only real drawback for me is the front end. The actual painted front bumper gives off a Dodge Dart vibe to me. The fog lights are too small you can barely tell its there. Everything else about the front end I can live with. I like that it has a wider stance now too.
CX-5um: You're right. I believe it's a great thing they added more REAR seat options like A/C vents, reclining option. Then moving the windshield pillars is a great, great move since the visibility was actually NOT good and finally I drove Mazda-6 and fell in love with the heads-up display. When using it for few days it becomes rather indispensable and useful.
I ain't sure on G-vectoring if its as good as the Porsche option but I always felt vectoring without dynamic suspension control doesn't give much benefit.

However, what I would liked to see is - power options for passenger seat, traffic still is missing, power windows across all doors.

Maybe the diesel could benefit a bit from more gears.
Coming from Europe, that's exactly what I had in mind... one more gear (overdrive) would further reduce rpm's during long and boring autobahn (highway) rides.

I would also like to see "Machine grey" exclusive CX-7 color in CX-5 - current colors are same for years and quite boring tbh (aside from new red soul crystal, but personally I don't like red for SUV)

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited:
the initial first drive reviews of the all new redesigned 2017 CRV have been positive. all saying it will be a big hit.

it doesnt look as good as the upcoming cx5 but it looks like it has pretty much has it beat in everything else. might even give the handling that cx5 always rates highly a run fr its money.

i dont think mazda can rely solely on new looks to win customers over. and not many will want to adopt to a diesel. they really need to add android auto and apple car play and pretty much update the entire infotainment to keep up with the competitors.

I might consider the new CR-V if: 1) its interior didn't look so cheap compared with that of the CX-5 and 2) if I hadn't heard of reliability issues people are already having with the 1.5T. It's in the Civic. The wonderful Honda of old is gone.
the initial first drive reviews of the all new redesigned 2017 CRV have been positive. all saying it will be a big hit.

it doesnt look as good as the upcoming cx5 but it looks like it has pretty much has it beat in everything else. might even give the handling that cx5 always rates highly a run fr its money.

i dont think mazda can rely solely on new looks to win customers over. and not many will want to adopt to a diesel. they really need to add android auto and apple car play and pretty much update the entire infotainment to keep up with the competitors.

The skyactiv engine has a broad, flat torque curve and it really doesn't need more speeds.
The skyactiv is very efficient at various RPM's so unlike other (more primitive?) engines it doesn't need to always be at 1200RPM to get good fuel economy.

The only place it would really benefit from more gears would be the brochure section, where the number of speeds would be higher than 6.

Maybe the diesel could benefit a bit from more gears, or maybe the 2.5L could use a higher overdrive? But the 2.0L definitely has enough gears as-is.
Can you provide the BSFC/rpm chart to support this statement?

Yes, Mazda needs something that sets the car apart. Right now there is nothing this car has which the competitors do not.

I might consider the new CR-V if: 1) its interior didn't look so cheap compared with that of the CX-5 and 2) if I hadn't heard of reliability issues people are already having with the 1.5T. It's in the Civic. The wonderful Honda of old is gone.

What reliability issues are you referring to?
The only thing I heard (apart from the NA 2L rings issue) was a TSB for software update to fix unexpected surge, did not sound like a serious issue.
IMHO this new CR-V is a winner, exactly what many families want with excellent fuel economy. Finally, it does not look offensive too.

There's a professional tuner/moderator on vtec.net (named Shawn Church or notyper) who has brought it up. He knows a thing or two about engines. If he's concerned, potential buyers should be too.

Back