New 2016 CX-5 Questions and thoughts

If someone is complaining that they are getting worse gas milleage when using remote start and don't understand why, I would shake my head and not waste my time explaining! :)

That being said, luckily my wife's car is set to turn off after 10 minutes (can be adjusted) if you don't put the key in the ignition (no push button start). You'd be surprised how often she forgot she started the car or you know, normal household chaos; kids got hurt, had to redo her hair/makeup/clothes again, phone calls....:)

I think you are confusing independence with convenience. Most people know how to scrape a window, but wouldn't it be more convienient and time saving to not have to scrape the frost off and just basically drive away.....:)

If it were not for my wifes remote start (with auto defroster turn on), my kids would be late for school many winter mornings :)

We've seen people compain about 3 things with remote starts (dealer-installed/aftermarket, because Mazda doesn't offer it for good reason):
. Poor gas mileage (Yes we know it shouldn't be surprise, but the complaints happen. And agreed, why pay for the thing if not going to use it)
. Battery drain (although who knows about the crappy installation job or questionable parts)
. Extra key fob/remote (not sure if it's just the skinny jeans thing or what)

2016 looks good. Very nice refresh. Now my 2014 already looks obsolete grrr. Grass is always greener.

A few thoughts:

Foot-activated power liftgate would have been a nice option (especially considering Mazda's previous partnerships with Ford in the past).
More exterior color options would be nice.
I personally prefer the "tacked-on tablet" look, but the new dash is otherwise still nice.
Would like to see a button on the key fob to open the liftgate, but not getting my hopes up.
Would have liked an integrated heads-up display as an option (I don't like the after-market choices out there).

Overall, I like the new updates. Mazda made a lot of smart decisions with this vehicle, and I expect it will continue to sell like hotcakes. I still doubt Mazda will sell as many vehicles as the Toyotas and Hondas, but that is because people are brand-loyal and dumb, not because of anything to do with the car. The CX-5 and the Forrester are still the top 2 CUVs on the market right now, and these updates only solidify my opinion on this subject.

The interior of this new CX-5 is simply gorgeous. The updates are fantastic, and even without some elements (like passenger power seat and all-windows one-touch) Mazda it's putting this CUV into a more modern world.

But...

Sorry, I don't like the new front grille. It's horrible. The old grille was much, much better.

And the new alloy tires... they're OK, but I prefer the old 19" ones.

So: it's an excelent interior and features update... ruined by a huge step backwards in car exterior looks, specially in front.

Cheers.

I suspect the same also.
I can understand cost saving, but mazda should have made these options available with the tech package (even if that would mean making the package more expensive):

-auto up/down on all windows (from drivers door)
-auto close moonroof (or better yet panoramic sunroof)
-auto open/close hatch
-auto fold/unfold side mirrors
-front seat cooling
-rear seat heating
-steering wheel heating
-smarter advanced keyless entry that doesn't require pushing a button on the handle
(my dad's audi has this... and you simply open the door, because the car unlocks when close the the door)

This would have seriously made me consider the package, because the current one, is a little bit short on features to be considered "technology". (hid, scbs, sat radio, nav) are nice features, but appart from scbs, the other features are pretty mainstream, and will become industry standards in a few years.

New Guy Here:

Add to that optional Tech Package:
push button windows
keyless door locks and starting
rain sensing wipers
auto lights
Bluetooth
Sirius
CD Player
MP3 Player
infinitely adjustable power driver seat
auto transmission
heated seats
dual 'auto' climate control
electric moon roof
sunglass holder
and anything else that I don't need!

Every year the manufactures have to add more bright shiny objects to their line up to compete with the others adding more bright shiny objects to their line up. I'm not picking on you speed. We all get wrapped up in that stuff. I just wonder sometimes if it matters.

The most enjoyable vehicle I have to drive is a '65 sunroof VW with a little bit of a hot rod motor and IRS. The defroster and heater is a joke, no AC or even a cigarette lighter or radio. It is dead nuts solid driving and we all know why they were made rear engine, it goes anywhere, wet, dry, snow, ice, mud, etc. doesn't matter. It's in the garage now resting until I can get back to it for a rebuild.

I wonder what a AWD CX-5 with a 2.5L motor and 6 speed MANUAL trans, cloth seats, AM/FM radio, roll up windows, KEY doors and start, and AC would cost and feel like... Oh, I'd pay extra for a dang TEMPERATURE GUAGE! Nothing more.

I tried to talk SWMBO into a Gen-1 Ford Bronco... But it doesn't have...all that stuff...she said...

I also dislike the new grille/fog light look. Going to see how this 2.5sky g turbo pans out.

I'm on the fence! The pics from the LA Auto Show to me were disappointing! The exterior, well, maybe blame it on the color choice on the car they used (not photogenic in my opinion). And Grey Mica trim on the body moldings instead of Black & painted Grey horizontal stripes on the grill? How's that going to add flair/contrast to an already hot exterior when you pair it with the exterior color palette offered?
Next, the interior; definitely improved from what we've seen & read, BUT come on, your top model still has a manual front seat, no heated steering wheel & you're eliminating a leather color option (sand beige)? When you go to the top trim level you should expect something really cool for the added price. A Panamera roof option, a sport leather/color option, a different wheel trim AND FOR ALL LEVELS please coordinate the lighted cabin scheme to one single hue rather than two or three. That's a no brainer.
Finally, why I'm on the fence is that my dealer has contacted me just one year into my lease to "lease forward" into a new 2016. Currently, I'm driving an adequate 2014 touring w/under 4K miles on it, which I've had detailed twice (I take care of my cars some might say a bit obsessively), and my dealer knows it. Given the shortfalls I listed above in what we know of the forthcoming 2016s there are improvements, and there are options I'd like to step up to that I don't currently have in my 2014. I guess I'm just curious to see what others think about the upcoming changes & lack of changes in the '16s, when the next generation CX5 is due to debut AND if anyone is familiar with "lease forward" offers from dealerships & whether or not they are actually a good deal for the customer. Heck! Maybe, I should just step up to a nicely equipped 2015? I'll miss out on the nice interior upgrades, dodge some of the not so attractive exterior refreshes, get into a GT at year end prices?
Thanks for reading this way too lengthy post. I'm attaching a pic of my current CX5!
6509044be94f501d58fbe47aac01904b.jpg

Sent by ZoomZoomer from my iPhone 6

Last edited:
I guess I'm just curious to see what others think about the upcoming changes & lack of changes in the '16s, when the next generation CX5 is due to debut

This was posted in another thread..

"CX-5: The CX-5 compact crossover's interior will be freshened in the first quarter next year for the 2016 model year. A new front fascia and LED headlights also are included in the update. Then, in the first half of 2016, the CX-5 gets all-new sheet metal for its 2017 model year re-engineering. "

So 2017 will be a completely reengineered version of the CX5 @Kedis82ZE8!? Wow! That potentially changes my entire calculus. Where did you find that information? Very interesting & helpful...thank you!

Sent by ZoomZoomer from my iPhone 6

You're always chasing your tail with new models.
The '16 is better than the '15.Now the '17 is better than the '16 .....(blowup)

Back